Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Preventing heat escaping out the window from a radiator

Options
  • 02-11-2009 11:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭

As is the case with many Irish homes, the radiator in my sitting room is placed directly under the window. This leads to heat going up, under the curtains and out the window. Now, the windows are double glazed, but I'm led to believe this is a major cause of heat loss.

Any way of limiting this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

The theory is heat rises so it rises up along the window behind the curtains and out the top and then circulates accross the ceiling and around the room. It also heats the colder air around the window. In th UK they put the rads on the walls opposite the windows and the circulation pattern is reversed with air dropping at the windows getting cooler from the glass and then creating a cool draft at floor level. Either way I don't think you'll win, if you have windows you loose heat, you could try a reflective foil type blind tight to the window frame and if you have any pelmets sealed at the top open them up or take them off!!!, then run as the wife will kill you!!!:D

Advertisement