Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Questions about the Reserve Force and Joining

Options
  • 02-11-2009 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

Hi all,

Sorry to put these questions up as I am sure they've probably been answered many times before, it's just that I'm square eyed from reading through the 200 odd pages in the Garda Reserve thread.

I am one of the unfortunate many that is waiting for the next recruitment campaign having put off applying for ten years to get some "life experience". I'm not here to moan about that so to move on:

I am looking at applying for the reserve force, mainly because I am genuinely interested in being a reserve member but also because I want to give myself the best opportunity of getting through the application process for the regular force whenever that comes up. As we are all aware there are going to be thousands of people in my shoes whenever the next recruitment drive begins, all eager to get in, and I believe that being a reserve member can give that extra edge. I'm just being honest there, as I said I am genuuinely interested in the reserve force but I do have that ulterior motive also.

Anyway, my questions are;

1) Is it the "Interview Application Form" on the In Progress Campaigns page of publicjobs.ie that I need to fill out first?

1.a) If so what candidate number are they looking for or how do I get one?

1.b) Since you e-mail the application form do you need to scan in a photo of yourself or do you just show up with one on the day of interview?

2) Does the background check they perform for the reserves cover the same requirements for the regular force, i.e. if I got into the reserves and then went through the application for the regular force would they be able to use the background check from the reserves. I ask because I have a sibling living abroad and I wonder if they would have to go through the lengthy process this entails if they'd already done so for the reserves.

3) How does the allocation of station for the reserves work? Is it the same as regular force where you cannot be stationed in your home area or do they put you in a nearby station because you are not full time, for convenience?

Again, I am sorry to post these in a new thread given the answers are most likely available to me already in other threads. I would be very greatful if someone could answer these questions for me here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Hey,
    I have input my answers in bold within your quote.

willit wrote: »
    Hi all,

Sorry to put these questions up as I am sure they've probably been answered many times before, it's just that I'm square eyed from reading through the 200 odd pages in the Garda Reserve thread.

Seriously, you don't have to read all 200+ pages. So many have applied recently who are posted in there that even 10-15 pages would suffice in my opinion.

Anyway, my questions are;

1) Is it the "Interview Application Form" on the In Progress Campaigns page of publicjobs.ie that I need to fill out first?

No, you need to actually apply first before they ask you to fill in the interview application form which they will do when they contact you either via post or e-mail in due time.

1.a) If so what candidate number are they looking for or how do I get one?

you will receive that when they acknowledge your application as far as I remember.

1.b) Since you e-mail the application form do you need to scan in a photo of yourself or do you just show up with one on the day of interview?

Just send in the info they ask for when they ask for it. Bring along your photo(s) and cert(s) - photocopies & original(s) then on the actual day of your stage1 interview & report-writing.

2) Does the background check they perform for the reserves cover the same requirements for the regular force, i.e. if I got into the reserves and then went through the application for the regular force would they be able to use the background check from the reserves. I ask because I have a sibling living abroad and I wonder if they would have to go through the lengthy process this entails if they'd already done so for the reserves.

No it won't cover your application for the full-time. Circumstances will change within families, some day by day, others at different intervals. Nothing can be taken for granted when being recruited for a position such as a member of A.G.S. so the full checks will have to be done again when/if you apply for full-time.

3) How does the allocation of station for the reserves work? Is it the same as regular force where you cannot be stationed in your home area or do they put you in a nearby station because you are not full time, for convenience?

You will be stationed within 30mins approx of where you live, obviously not in your home-town. As this is voluntary work, you will be stationed this close to assist with your actual work commitments etc.

Again, I am sorry to post these in a new thread given the answers are most likely available to me already in other threads. I would be very greatful if someone could answer these questions for me here.

Good Luck in your application

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Hi Kerry4sam, great info again, I notice you mention we'd be stationed 30mins approx of where we live, I live 10-15 mins away from my nearest station, the next (major) station away from that is about more than 30 minutes away, (there are a number of other smaller stations about 20 mins away) which one do you think I'd be stationed in? (provided I passed all stages etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

funkyflea wrote: »
    Hi Kerry4sam, great info again, I notice you mention we'd be stationed 30mins approx of where we live, I live 10-15 mins away from my nearest station, the next (major) station away from that is about more than 30 minutes away, (there are a number of other smaller stations about 20 mins away) which one do you think I'd be stationed in? (provided I passed all stages etc)

you would be best advised to go to the station 30 mins away, you have to start in a 24hr station anyway, stay as far away from home as you can within reason.

Grand I've a fair idea where I'd be in that case, thanks lehanemore.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭willit

Kerry4Sam,

Thanks for your reply, I know the information is in the thread but I had spent about an hour or more going through the ES forum before opening the reserve thread so I should have taken ten minutes before reading through it. Anyway, thank you for your answers, spot on as usual.

On the publicjobs website there is only the interview application form and the Garda reserve form (BR) which it says you shouldn't fill out until successful at interview. Does this mean that there is not a recruitment campaign at the moment as I can't see any other application information?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭rookie09

willit wrote: »
    Kerry4Sam,

Thanks for your reply, I know the information is in the thread but I had spent about an hour or more going through the ES forum before opening the reserve thread so I should have taken ten minutes before reading through it. Anyway, thank you for your answers, spot on as usual.

On the publicjobs website there is only the interview application form and the Garda reserve form (BR) which it says you shouldn't fill out until successful at interview. Does this mean that there is not a recruitment campaign at the moment as I can't see any other application information?

Yes there is a recruitment campaign for the 'reserves' its on going.Fill out the interview application and email back to them if you then pass the interview and report writting test you fill out the B.R. form and hand it in to your local station.

Did you get an email willit? I think you need to wait til you've received an email to let you know there's interviews going on in your area first.

funkyflea wrote: »
    Did you get an email willit? I think you need to wait til you've received an email to let you know there's interviews going on in your area first.

Funkyflea,

Thanks for your reply, it's after clearing the whole thing up for me. No e-mail yet which is why I was a bit confused. What would I do without boards:o:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭da__flash

yes its well adivised to work as far away from home within reason. because the less people that know your business the better :D

To the Mod can you please close this thread as the original question has been answered.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

As requested.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement