Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

RPM spike when idle

Options
  • 02-11-2009 10:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

I have had this car, a VW Polo (Mk III) 1L, for a few weeks.
    One thing I've noticed it doing last week was that sometimes when stopping at a junction, just after the car fully stops, the RPM quickly spikes(not a lot, maybe 200-300) then drops back the normal idle reading. I'm not sure what's causing this. Today, in the same circumstances, the car sometimes chose to alternatively stall instead of spiking the RPM. Since the clutch was down while stopping, I'm not sure how braking would actually affect the engine.

What could possibly cause this? Is this a serious problem?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

I think that is called 'Hunting', you should take it to a garage, and have them plug the car into a computer, to see if ther is something wrong.

It may just need to be 'recalibrated' by the computer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

My car has this problem sometimes, it's caused by the maf sensor being dirty just needs to be cleaned

Not sure if corsa's have a maf sensor though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Your MAF sensor probably needs to be cleaned or replaced. It's a few hundred for the sensor (depending on car model) and almost no labour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 tk03

The MAF sensor makes sense... Though I've heard that symptoms of problems with the MAF sensor is poor acceleration, especially on inclines but the car seems to have no problems with acceleration even on hills.

There is a hose at the front of the engine that looks like it may soon collapse in a certain place. I wonder if that could be related.

Advertisement