Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Should I buy this Alfa 147?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

I'll risk the beating here. Not on your life would I advise you to spend that much on a 7 year old ( nearly 8 ) Alfa. Now Im talking from the head here and not the heart but then again thats what you wanted to hear if you came on here. Not on your Nelly. It has a trade value ( to an Alfa buyer ) of between 600-800 quid and it would have to be mint at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Saab Ed wrote: »
    I'll risk the beating here. Not on your life would I advise you to spend that much on a 7 year old ( nearly 8 ) Alfa. Now Im talking from the head here and not the heart but then again thats what you wanted to hear if you came on here. Not on your Nelly. It has a trade value ( to an Alfa buyer ) of between 600-800 quid and it would have to be mint at that.

No that's fair enough. Any idea where I could get a better deal?? Realistically I'm not going to able to get one for anywhere near 600-800.
    It was handy that one as it's close as I live in Tallaght.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Ush1 wrote: »
    No that's fair enough. Any idea where I could get a better deal?? Realistically I'm not going to able to get one for anywhere near 600-800.
    It was handy that one as it's close as I live in Tallaght.

Oh mate, the Alfisti are going to beat up on me hear for what im about to say but here goes. Unless you know your 2nd gear syncros from your injection computers and have the ability ,time and money to spend fixing these various bits then my advise is stay away. A crack habbit is cheaper long term. One of the only cars I'd put behind a MK2 Laguna on my sh!tometer. Yup the look lovely, drive lovely and its not a Civic but just dont go there. World of pain.

Tragedy wrote: »

The ones that are better there are private sales which I've been advised to avoid as no warranty. I don't know much about cars but trying to learn quickly!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

'02 Alfa Romeo 147 1.6 €4,25. Wow. Awesome amount of neck on that salesperson.

squod wrote: »
    '02 Alfa Romeo 147 1.6 €4,25. Wow. Awesome amount of neck on that salesperson.

Hearing that alot but not seeing much better deals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Hearing that alot but not seeing much better deals.

You're probably only lookin' at Dublin garages on places like carzone. Some carzone prices bear no relation to reality whatsoever. Try donedeal.ie and get a copy of the Buy & Sell for yourself. Seriuosly, a short trip to a private seller can sometimes tell you more about the car you want than a salesman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

The ones that are better there are private sales which I've been advised to avoid as no warranty. I don't know much about cars but trying to learn quickly!
    I'd take a FSH and a once over by a decent mechanic to a 3month engine+transmission warranty

Any reason why you want the 147 especially? 156 Is a good bit cheaper+more on the market

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Saab Ed wrote: »
    A crack habbit is cheaper long term. .

PMSL :D

Never a truer word ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

These guys really have a neck: the bonnet is badly resprayed after being scratched to hell, and for the interior to be as flittered as it is in 50,000 kms, the last owner must have been Wolverine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭milltown

Doesn't look that bad in the photos. Have you been to see it Zube?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,272 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Alfa's are not nearly as complex or problematic as some people will have you believe. Buying with the timing belt changed and with a warrenty are advisable but that is still way over priced, €2,500 would be more like it retail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

milltown wrote: »
    Doesn't look that bad in the photos. Have you been to see it Zube?

It caught my eye as I was passing, the purple colour is interesting.

bazz26 wrote: »

They look great but I'm only driving a while, could see problems with driving a car that size like.:(

Tragedy wrote: »
    I'd take a FSH and a once over by a decent mechanic to a 3month engine+transmission warranty

Any reason why you want the 147 especially? 156 Is a good bit cheaper+more on the market

That's a fair point. I've only got my full license a while so just thinking hatchback would be easier for me to manage like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

You wont get comfortable with a bigger car til you drive one :) I went from a smallish hatchback to a car bigger than a Mondeo, it takes a surprisingly small amount of time to get used to it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

Only entertain buying one that has a full service history that has everything done that it should have. And bring a mechanic with you.

(And this should go when buying any car...not just an alfa!!;))

My father had two Alfa 147s. 01 and 02 regs one was 3door and the other 5 door. Fantastic cars to drive etc and he didn't have any problems with either.........only got rid of them because he tipped one and got a good deal on a BMW 3series!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

They're asking too much for the age and the mileage. Walk away.

If you can get a full service history and a mechanic to check it out, I wouldn't hesitate to buy privately.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭steveq

I have had an Alfa 156 for over 9 years and I bought it secondhand. I got lots of dire warnings at the time about having expensive problems, unreliabiity, etc. I have not had any problems whatsoever with it. I keep it serviced pretty regularly but I have only had to change the timing belt.
    The handling on any Alfa beats any comparable car -- in my opinion. I think it was Jeremy Clarkson who said that everyone should own an Alfa at least once in their life.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

That one is way overpriced.
    I bought a 2003 156 Sportivo last year for €3500 so that gives you some idea of what that one is worth. I'd imagine about €2500

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Check the usual things and you'll be fine...If its mint and has no issues 3-3.5k is actually getting you quite a bit of car.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055705272

Advertisement