Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drumming complaint...

Options
  • 02-11-2009 10:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭

I`ve been living in my estate for about 5 years and I`m a drummer. All that time I`ve drummed on adverage 2-3 times a week for about 2 hours per session and in the last month I`ve had a friend on mine who`s a guitartist come and jam with me TWICE in a month and that was for 3 hours at the most, all of my solo drumming and thoses 2 time`s with me friend it was between 1pm-7pm at the lastest. I`ve never jammed for more than 3 hours, just cause the room is so small and I would be drenched in sweat and I dont want to open the window`s, I just crack one of them for the sake of the neighbors, who have NEVER complained.....until tonight. I get a letter in the door basically saying the have been some complaints about the noise level comming from your house and that I should take into consideration the other neighbors. I have been, the whole time, there`s more music and party related activities that go on that are louder than me, even the house alarms that go off for hours on end numbious times during the week are more annoying than my drumming. I`ve tryed to find out what are the times you can make so much noise until you have to stop, is it something like 11am - 9 or 10pm?
    Been to the government sites (that I could find) and I could see any times there, just a lot of legal mumbo jumbo, any info on this would be cool, thanks. :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Off hand I believe noise before 7am and after 11.30pm is a problem and can be reported to the EPA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Danuogma

lewis wrote: »
    I`ve been living in my estate for about 5 years and I`m a drummer. All that time I`ve drummed on adverage 2-3 times a week for about 2 hours per session and in the last month I`ve had a friend on mine who`s a guitartist come and jam with me TWICE in a month and that was for 3 hours at the most, all of my solo drumming and thoses 2 time`s with me friend it was between 1pm-7pm at the lastest. I`ve never jammed for more than 3 hours, just cause the room is so small and I would be drenched in sweat and I dont want to open the window`s, I just crack one of them for the sake of the neighbors, who have NEVER complained.....until tonight. I get a letter in the door basically saying the have been some complaints about the noise level comming from your house and that I should take into consideration the other neighbors. I have been, the whole time, there`s more music and party related activities that go on that are louder than me, even the house alarms that go off for hours on end numbious times during the week are more annoying than my drumming. I`ve tryed to find out what are the times you can make so much noise until you have to stop, is it something like 11am - 9 or 10pm?
    Been to the government sites (that I could find) and I could see any times there, just a lot of legal mumbo jumbo, any info on this would be cool, thanks. :D

Soundproof the room and buy a small air conditioner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭ConsiderThis

Lol, this post made me laugh out loud and I bet many were taken in by it and believed the OP was serious!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Lol, this post made me laugh out loud and I bet many were taken in by it and believed the OP was serious!

ConsiderThis, please note that in-thread accusations of trolling will not be tolerated. If you think a poster is trolling, please use the Report Post button.

Thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭homer911

I know how annoying drumming/jamming can be from a distance but unless your neighbours are home all day it doesnt sound like you are creating much of a problem.

A few questions:

Is the room where you play ajoining your neighbour?

If so can you relocate?

Are there any soft furnishings/carpets in the room - these can reduce noise and vibration enormously?

Have you considered any improvised sound insulation? (foam, egg trays etc?)

Have you assessed the noise outside your home (in the street, in your neighbours)?

If you can show your neighbour you are being as considerate as possible, it should keep them happy. Its worth making a bit of an effort if you plan to live in the same home for a while. Falling out with neighbours is not pretty!

Some neighbours up the road from me had a falling out over an extension in the rear garden which did not require planning. They took a case to the planning authority for demolition on the grounds of abuse of planning laws (access to light or something) and unsurprisingly lost. A few months later they put the house up for sale and moved out!

taconnol wrote: »
    ConsiderThis, please note that in-thread accusations of trolling will not be tolerated. If you think a poster is trolling, please use the Report Post button.

Thank you.

I am not sure I know what "trolling" means, but you have to admit its quite funny when someone says they live in an estate ( ie lives in very close proximity to others), he drums for hours on end, with a friend playing a guitar, and with an open window, and seems surprised when the neighbours complain!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

I am not sure I know what "trolling" means, but you have to admit its quite funny when someone says they live in an estate ( ie lives in very close proximity to others), he drums for hours on end, with a friend playing a guitar, and with an open window, and seems surprised when the neighbours complain!

Please find definition of trolling here and familiarise yourself with this forum's charter that can be found here.

taconnol wrote: »
    Please find definition of trolling here and familiarise yourself with this forum's charter that can be found here.

Thanks for that - its appreciated.

"An "Internet troll" or "Forum Troll" is a person who posts outrageous message to bait people to answer. A Forum Troll delights in sowing discord on the forums. A troll is someone who inspires flaming rhetoric, someone who is purposely provoking and pulling people into flaming discussion. Flaming discussions usually end with name calling and a flame war. Trolling is the act of posting these sorts of messages which are deliberately designed to annoy other users of the site."

I wasn't suggesting the OP's message was outrageous, or baiting, or sowing dischord, or inspiring flaming (whatever that is) rhetoric.

I simply thought it was funny that a guy says they live in an estate, in very close proximity to others, he drums for hours on end, with a friend playing a guitar, and with an open window, and seems surprised when the neighbours complain!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,489 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

But if its in the middle of the day (or at least up to a reasonable hour) he can do it to his hearts content. As long as it not severely loud or continuing on till late evening/nite when it may effect kids going to bed early etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Danuogma wrote: »
    Soundproof the room and buy a small air conditioner.
    Ignore the air-con tip. Get a dehumidifier. Most lads who I know that use them can easily fill a litre bottle with it in a jamming session.
    between 1pm-7pm at the lastest
    7pm the latest? gnore the letter. You can pop next door if you want, and ask if they wrote the letter. If they haven't ignore the letter, but keep it on file in case you get any further harassment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

You sound like the guy that lives a few doors up from me, he belts it out for a few hours during the day once or twice a week. I personally think it's great & quite enjoy it tbh as he's decent enough. I guess if a close neighbour had a newborn or something it might be an issue though.
    The best option IMO is to go and talk to your neighbours & see how they feel, even whoever complained might be happy enough for you to continue if you showed a bit of consideration like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

homer911 wrote: »
    I know how annoying drumming/jamming can be from a distance but unless your neighbours are home all day it doesnt sound like you are creating much of a problem.

A few questions:

Is the room where you play ajoining your neighbour?

If so can you relocate?

Are there any soft furnishings/carpets in the room - these can reduce noise and vibration enormously?

Have you considered any improvised sound insulation? (foam, egg trays etc?)

Have you assessed the noise outside your home (in the street, in your neighbours)?

If you can show your neighbour you are being as considerate as possible, it should keep them happy. Its worth making a bit of an effort if you plan to live in the same home for a while. Falling out with neighbours is not pretty!

Some neighbours up the road from me had a falling out over an extension in the rear garden which did not require planning. They took a case to the planning authority for demolition on the grounds of abuse of planning laws (access to light or something) and unsurprisingly lost. A few months later they put the house up for sale and moved out!

The room is on the detached side. There`s a rug, a clothes horse and a massive winter duvet I do open up beside my kit. I cant afford to insulate the room and the sound outside is not bad, my wife fell asleep down stairs while I was drumming, does that sound loud? I have always been considerate when I drum, but there is only so much I can do and I dont think I`m breaking any laws and am well within my rights to do what I`m doing, there`s far worse here at times with house alarms going off all morning.

ConsiderThis you tool, I dont drum for hours on end, the most I rarely do is 1H30MINS - 2HRS a week. The friend is only once in a blue moon for a max of 2HRS and that time was twice in a month, once at the start and then at the end of the month.The one window is only cracked for air, but I will get a fan. It cant be that bad that I have kids outside listening to me and dancing?
    air wrote: »
    You sound like the guy that lives a few doors up from me, he belts it out for a few hours during the day once or twice a week. I personally think it's great & quite enjoy it tbh as he's decent enough. I guess if a close neighbour had a newborn or something it might be an issue though.
    The best option IMO is to go and talk to your neighbours & see how they feel, even whoever complained might be happy enough for you to continue if you showed a bit of consideration like that.

I could be that guy, have you ever seen me walk my dogs and the wife?
    Cheers for the compliment man or woman. All I can say is that I wont be stopping and I will do as much as I can to keep the sound in, as my mother once said to me "can you not play them softly" , you cant play metal softly, altough I do play a few songs that are slow and "soft".
    I was just after some advice thats all, thanks for it all. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

LOL, well if you're in Limerick and you're referring to the occasional loud music and parties from the foreigners behind you then I'd say you're a few doors up from me alright ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭homer911

The room is on the detached side. There`s a rug, a clothes horse and a massive winter duvet I do open up beside my kit. I cant afford to insulate the room and the sound outside is not bad, my wife fell asleep down stairs while I was drumming, does that sound loud? I have always been considerate when I drum, but there is only so much I can do and I dont think I`m breaking any laws and am well within my rights to do what I`m doing, there`s far worse here at times with house alarms going off all morning.

I dont see what the neighbours have to complain about - carry on!

ConsiderThis you tool, I dont drum for hours on end, the most I rarely do is 1H30MINS - 2HRS a week. The friend is only once in a blue moon for a max of 2HRS and that time was twice in a month, once at the start and then at the end of the month.The one window is only cracked for air, but I will get a fan. It cant be that bad that I have kids outside listening to me and dancing?

And yet you seem completely baffled, and unconcerned, as to why the neighbours complained.

ConsiderThis you tool
    Attack the post, not the poster please.

air wrote: »
    LOL, well if you're in Limerick and you're referring to the occasional loud music and parties from the foreigners behind you then I'd say you're a few doors up from me alright ;)

Lol, my drumming is`nt that loud. Just checking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Green Beaker

There is no specific Irish legislation in relation to neighbourhood noise including playing loud music. However the EPA Act 1992 (S.108) requires that you do not cause a noise nuisance to your neighbours. No noise limits or hours are prescribed. If they wish to do so, the Local Authority or anyone affected can make a complaint to the district court and request the judge to order you to take measures to reduce the noise nuisance.

Watch out for new noise regulations on neighbourhood noise due out in the spring 2010, these may or may not restrict how loud you can play music.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

I could be that guy, have you ever seen me walk my dogs and the wife?

I know its completely off the topic but I now have this image in my head of a guy walking down the road with an Alsatian and his wife on a lead :)

• Advertisement

jimoc wrote: »
    I know its completely off the topic but I now have this image in my head of a guy walking down the road with an Alsatian and his wife on a lead :)

Lol, there muts actually, jaysus if she see`s this I`ll be in the dog house. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 aarmoran

i ended up building a sound proof studio... but last week the neighbours next house had a party and it was so loud i couldnt sleep and yet before i had the shed they would be on the phone straight away if my band came to the house. so i decided to call the police the other night at 3am and i was told they cant do anything if there inside there own property they said they would call and ask them to turn down a bit but thats as far as they can go.... so if i were you i would keep jamming and play it by ear. when you get a court order to stop then stop untill then as they say in spinal tap... turn it up to 11

Advertisement