Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Historical motor tax rates in Ireland?

Options
  • 02-11-2009 9:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭

Has anyone got any detailed figures on motor tax rates in Ireland over the years. I would be interested in figures from the 80's and 90's for the various engine sizes, particularly 2 litre plus.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I vaguely remember that rates in the 80s weren't capped at 3 litres, so something with say a 6.7 litre engine would have been extremely expensive. Wasn't road tax abolished for a short period back in the 70s?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Anan1 wrote: »
    Wasn't road tax abolished for a short period back in the 70s?

Yes think I spotted something like this in Reeling in the Years where a government got in power with this as one of its promises and then a year or two later had to go back on their word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

I taxed a 1.9litre car today and it cost me €582 wheras on last years disc it was €560. I asked the guy at the counter what did he think would happen in the budget he told me that <1.4 would get 10% and >1.4 would get a 15% increase. I think the time has come for a mass campaign of public disobedience with regards motor tax, if this is true and I have no reason to doubt it I will be paying €669 next year a €100 increase from 2008, Yet Sean Fitzpatrick walks free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭Ronanom

If you ask me, every car on the road should pay a flat fee of say 200 - 300 euro and the rest of the oney be made up from petrol increases - if you drive your car a lot and emit the emmisions then u pay the price. Hardly fair on someone who uses a higher powered car as a second car and get fleeced for rarely driving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

netwhizkid wrote: »
    I asked the guy at the counter what did he think would happen in the budget he told me that <1.4 would get 10% and >1.4 would get a 15% increase. I think the time has come for a mass campaign of public disobedience with regards motor tax, if this is true and I have no reason to doubt it I will be paying €669 next year a €100 increase from 2008...
    What makes you think the 'guy at the counter' knows what's going to happen in the next budget?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,812 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

netwhizkid wrote: »
    I taxed a 1.9litre car today and it cost me €582 wheras on last years disc it was €560.

Last week I taxed a 3 litre car for €302, I love the Greens :D

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I have some old tax discs for a 1390 cc car
    1995 - 175 punts
    2009 - 333 euros

Also have all the years inbetween.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Yes and that 3 litre car has an engine relative to its size (probably) so it is not underpowered and as result keeps fuel consumption and thus (evil Co2) to a minimum. But would it not be eco unfriendly to all buy new cars instead?
    Anan1 wrote:
    What makes you think the 'guy at the counter' knows what's going to happen in the next budget?

Speculating, however we will all be collectively reaching for the vaseline come next month, I think we will something even more slippery than vaseline for this one however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

lexus hybrid jeep ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 KrodMandoon

Anyone with an old pink log book should be able to tell you. I got stamps in mine but only going back to 1992 and thats for a 1.7 litre

It was 288 punts (365 euro) in 1992
    Its 551 in 2009

So thats a 66 % increase, in line with inflation really
    So tax was still expensive in the early nineties at least

• Advertisement
Advertisement