Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HPAT Course in the Institute

Options
  • 02-11-2009 8:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭

Just wondering what did people think of the HPAT course in the institute on Sunday? I thought it was good, at least we have extra sample exams to practise with instead of just the ACER one.:) I didnt do a HPAT prep course last year, but I think its very beneficial to do one, just at least to gain a few skills and ideas. What did ye think, whoever is doing it?

EDIT: Perhaps I should have posted this in the HPAT thread but oh well its posted now.:o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

You came up from Kerry to do it:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Xtina!!

theowen wrote: »
    You came up from Kerry to do it:eek:

Haha oh yeah, but Kerry's not that far away from Dublin you know!;) Did you do it or had you done it from last year? It was alright I suppose, the class was all common sense, its just the practise tests and the mock that Im looking for.

Xtina!! wrote: »
    Haha oh yeah, but Kerry's not that far away from Dublin you know!;) Did you do it or had you done it from last year? It was alright I suppose, the class was all common sense, its just the practise tests and the mock that Im looking for.
    I did it last year, doing it this year for free!, at least I think it's free :o. Yah, I thought the practise test was a bit easy last year. I think the average of the whole class was 180, which is pretty unrealistic? I got 210 in it so it gave me a false sense of confidence. Thought, sure I didn't do any work for the 'tute test, and then wam! Whole different ball came in the real thing. Plus I was so out of shape for it. But ye, you might find it useful:)

I did it last year, doing it this year for free!, at least I think it's free :o. Yah, I thought the practise test was a bit easy last year. I think the average of the whole class was 180, which is pretty unrealistic? I got 210 in it so it gave me a false sense of confidence. Thought, sure I didn't do any work for the 'tute test, and then wam! Whole different ball came in the real thing. Plus I was so out of shape for it. But ye, you might find it useful:)

Jeez 180 is really unrealistic! I couldnt believe how well the class were doing. But to be honest those questions were really straight forward. But sure, at least we have the advantage of having sat it already in Feb so we know what to expect! Tbh I dont think its worth that amount of money or that useful, all just want to sit a few mocks and just get more questions, sure we already have the ACER practise booklet done from last year!

Xtina!! wrote: »
    Jeez 180 is really unrealistic! I couldnt believe how well the class were doing. But to be honest those questions were really straight forward. But sure, at least we have the advantage of having sat it already in Feb so we know what to expect! Tbh I dont think its worth that amount of money or that useful, all just want to sit a few mocks and just get more questions, sure we already have the ACER practise booklet done from last year!
    D'ya think is there like a book of section 3 questions. I'd imagine a few of them per day and you'd be flying.

• Advertisement

D'ya think is there like a book of section 3 questions. I'd imagine a few of them per day and you'd be flying.

I havent a clue if theres a book on section 3 style questions tbh. But Section 3 is my strongest and favourite section anyway, get practically full marks in them, shame that didnt work out on the day though.:( I think the biggest and best thing that anyone can do is when coming up to the exam, just make sure to relax, get plenty of sleep and try not to freak out and just forget about the mocks. My biggest regrets!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

LOL, you got 180 in the mock, and then got 210 in the exam and you had a false sense of confidence? :P I thought 210 was excellent marks! Isn't it calculated as:
    LC Points (from 480 to 550) + HPAT Points + 4 = Total Points

On the other hand, if medicine is still on the top of my agenda, next year I'll probably be doing HPAT. How many people felt the Institute courses helped them? How much do they cost?

Also, HPAT-Ulster have a free sample HPAT-Ulster on their site. Of course I will buy the HPAT-Ireland sample paper, but for the time being, how similiar is the HPAT-Ulster sample to HPAT-Ireland (with respect to difficulty, content): http://hpat-ulster.acer.edu.au/images/stories/pdfs/hpat_samplequestions.pdf

Thanks.

jumpguy wrote: »
    LOL, you got 180 in the mock, and then got 210 in the exam and you had a false sense of confidence? :P I thought 210 was excellent marks! Isn't it calculated as:

On the other hand, if medicine is still on the top of my agenda, next year I'll probably be doing HPAT. How many people felt the Institute courses helped them? How much do they cost?

Also, HPAT-Ulster have a free sample HPAT-Ulster on their site. Of course I will buy the HPAT-Ireland sample paper, but for the time being, how similiar is the HPAT-Ulster sample to HPAT-Ireland (with respect to difficulty, content): http://hpat-ulster.acer.edu.au/images/stories/pdfs/hpat_samplequestions.pdf

Thanks.
    No lol. The rest of the 100 or so people had an average of 180 in the mock and I got 210 in it. I got 160 in the real thing. See, false sense of confidence:p. Not sure about the HPAT-Ulster thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭HQvhs

They readjust the HPAT marks to make them fit the bell-curve, so to speak.
    They don't publish the method used, but it's probably a case of giving higher weight to questions few people get right and vice versa.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 327 ✭✭zoom!

Well I just got back and it wasn't bad. It's good to go to but if you don't It wouldn't effect you seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

jumpguy wrote: »

Thanks.

The HPAT Ulster is completely different. It's what the University of Ulster uses as the FULL basis for health science courses- SLT, OT, Podiatry, Physio, Radiography etc.

As far as I can remember (and it's almost 2 years since I did it...) Section 1 is things like girl is to boy as ..... (sorry can't think of an example :o)
    Section 2 is the maths section.
    Section 3 contains two essays, the first one they give you loads of info and bar charts about a certain subject (for us it was children and exercise) and you had to write an essay about it.
    The second essay was a collection of quotes and you had to write an essay about that. I think it was about the past and learning from your mistakes etc.

I would say that HPAT Ulster is a different format that use a different type of question. Don't use it as it will differ from the Irish HPAT and you will get a bit of a shock when you walk into the HPAT in Feb.

Advertisement