Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Rattle/tapping sound coming from engine (Megane diesel)

Options
  • 02-11-2009 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

I just noticed over the past few days that my engine seems to be making a tapping / rattle sound at idle. Its a Megane diesel.

I'm getting worried, can anyone shed any light and can anyone recommend a mechanic in or around Galway or Athenry ?

Many thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

What year is the Megane?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Have you checked the oil level, recent oil change ?

Could be a sticky/worn tappet. Possibly other cause is "Piston Slap", caused by a slightly worn piston that needs to warm up and expand a bit to move smoothly, oil and filter change is suggested.
    If it's the tappet there might be a small performance hit while it's noisy, if it's the piston then it can get a lot worse before you have to fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

Its a 2004 Megane 1.5 diesel with 120k.
    I got it serviced there in June (I usually service it twice a year) and drive it handy (always under speed limit).

I'm anxious now to get it to a mechanic but being new to the area, its hard to know who to trust.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Check the oil level and check to see if the right grade/type oil was put in during the last service.

Is the car close to you now?

• Advertisement

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Is the car close to you now?

yeah its just outside

Ive just dipped it for oil, oil level is fine (at top marker). Oil looks quite black (checked it on dip stick in the light of the kitchen).

Last service was June, Advanced Pitstop, Galway

dnme wrote: »
    yeah its just outside

Okay cool. Just start the engine and lift the bonnet . Now firstly when the engine has started the display where the mileage usualy shows up should read OIL OK. On the end of the wiper stalk is a little button that you can press with your finger tip. Do this once and the OIL OK display should change to 6 zeros in a line. If any of the zeros are missing then the oil level is low. The more zeros missing then the lower the oil is. Now next walk around to the front of the car and have a listen to where the noise is coming from. Is it far left, far right or slap bang in the middle. Also is it a clonking kinda knock, is it a tinny tapping noise or is it a firm click. ....Sorry if this seems silly :p

Okay cool. Just start the engine and lift the bonnet . Now firstly when the engine has started the display where the mileage usualy shows up should read OIL OK. On the end of the wiper stalk is a little button that you can press with your finger tip. Do this once and the OIL OK display should change to 6 zeros in a line. If any of the zeros are missing then the oil level is low. The more zeros missing then the lower the oil is. Now next walk around to the front of the car and have a listen to where the noise is coming from. Is it far left, far right or slap bang in the middle. Also is it a clonking kinda knock, is it a tinny tapping noise or is it a firm click. ....Sorry if this seems silly :p

stand by, brb

OK,

I had previously dipped it for oil (see above), when starting the car, the dash reads "Oil level OK", when I press the button on the wiper lever, it then reads "Change oil soon", resing it again togggles me through the usual displays, trip, mpg etc

The "Change oil soon" message is totally standard, it has always be displayed, even immediately after a service.

The rattle / taping is coming from the left side as I stand infront of the car looking down at the engine (drivers side). Its hard to describe it, its just a pronounced tap in time with the engines natural idle rythmn. I notice it when I am idle, at traffic lights etc

• Advertisement

The rattle / taping is coming from the left side as I stand infront of the car looking down at the engine (drivers side). Its hard to describe it, its just a pronounced tap in time with the engines natural idle rythmn. I notice it when I am idle, at traffic lights etc

Right all the bits in that area would be fairly critical to the running of the engine. You have a timing belt , alternator, fuel pump and tensioners all in the same area and it could be any of them. Megane Diesels of this age are known for giving fuel pump trouble so I'd have to say on the noise alone it would be my firm favorite as to where the noise is coming from. In saying that you just cant be sure. It could be something as silly as a bit of dislodged plastic or something stuck somewhere and rubbing against one of the moving parts. Either way take it to a mechanic ASAP because any failure of the Timimg belt or the tensioners could be terminal to the car.

Right all the bits in that area would be fairly critical to the running of the engine. You have a timing belt , alternator, fuel pump and tensioners all in the same area and it could be any of them. Megane Diesels of this age are known for giving fuel pump trouble so I'd have to say on the noise alone it would be my firm favorite as to where the noise is coming from. In saying that you just cant be sure. It could be something as silly as a bit of dislodged plastic or something stuck somewhere and rubbing against one of the moving parts. Either way take it to a mechanic ASAP because any failure of the Timimg belt or the tensioners could be terminal to the car.

Much appreciated ED

Much appreciated ED

Your welcome.

PS~ The message saying "service due soon" is only coming up because the mechanic who serviced the car last time out didnt reset the computer. To reset this just scroll through the menu i.e mpg etc etc until you come to the "service due @ message. When you get to it press and hold the button down on the end of the indicator stalk until the message starts to flash. The message should then change to Service due 20,000km" Dont let go of the button until this message stops flashing. Then its reset and the countdown begins again. I would advise that you dont reset it till you get your next service for obvious reasons ;):)

Brought the var to Higgins' garage, Athenry this morning. hey agree its making a tapping sounhd and say that it sounds rough. They have done some dismantling and advise that the timing belt and water pump are fine. They are keeping the car over night to get a second opinion on the noise in the morning.

I have told them about Ed's advice, Tension rods, fuel pump etc. I hope to god they find something. Finding nothing might be the worst possible outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Injector possibly?

mickdw wrote: »
    Injector possibly?

Hi Mick
    I dont know what that is (not that mechanically minded). Does my standard Megane diesel have one? should I suggest it ? Why would it make a tapping noise ?

Hi Mick
    I dont know what that is (not that mechanically minded). Does my standard Megane diesel have one? should I suggest it ? Why would it make a tapping noise ?

They feed diesel into the engine under pressure and can cause a knocking noise if one of them (4 in total) is dirty/faulty and your megane has them.
    I wouldnt go to the garage suggesting things, after all those guys are actually looking at the car so will get a better diagnosis that somebody on the internet.
    From experience, the internet is useful when everyone around you is puzzled as somewhere online you will find someone with a possible solution. Let the mechanics loose first though

Folks

The garage rang me this evening. They can find nothing wrong. They are putting the car back together and I'm collecting it in the morning. So we have achieved nothing. They have advised me to drive it as normal. I'm a bit worried.
    What would you advise?

Many thanks

Another garage!

I mean if the car is making a ticking noise that it didnt make before, well there is something wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Row

What oil did advance use..??..A friend of mine got them to replace oil on his diesel a last year and two weeks later his turbo blew..:eek:..It may have noting got to do with them.. ..but i would drop the oil out and and use good
    quality oil thats recommened for your engine....:) and see/hear how it sounds
    after...:)
    Ron.

• Advertisement

Row wrote: »
    What oil did advance use..??..A friend of mine got them to replace oil on his diesel a last year and two weeks later his turbo blew..:eek:..It may have noting got to do with them.. ..but i would drop the oil out and and use good
    quality oil thats recommened for your engine....:) and see/hear how it sounds
    after...:)
    Ron.

Hi Ron
    I actually asked them would they change the oil and put in a high quality recommended oil and filter before I collect the car. They are gonna do that tomorrow so lets see.

I simply cant afford main dealer prices (mature student) so I'm wondering if anyone knows good Renault knowledgable mechanics in Galway city / county ?

Advertisement