Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Timewasters Buying Cars

Options
  • 02-11-2009 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭

Lads took a deposit on a car friday evening .The fella drove it he was very happy with it said he was buying it for his girlfriend and gave a 100 euro deposit. Saturday morning got a load of calls about the car told them it was provisionally sold.Then Saturday evening he txts asking has it power steering i told him it hadnt and he tells me he doesnt want it now and wants his deposit back. I told him he wasnt getting it back and i only wanted to hear from him again when he had the full amount for me. Anyway after alot of agro from him all day Saturday and Sunday i gave him his deposit back to get rid of him leaving me with a car still to sell and lost out on a number of people viewing it.Just wondering would i have been within my rights not to give it back to him?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

You'd be within your rights. That's the idea of the deposit. (He should have asked before putting the deposit down.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

You would have been within your rights imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

How did he not realise it didnt have power steering?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

if somebody gave me a deposit to hold a car for them and they they backed out, i would keep it, end of. you would of been well within your rights to keep it imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

you should have kept it, unless he was a hardman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭Barr

He took it for a test drive and didn’t realise it had no power steering till the following day , with strength like that would have given him back the deposit as well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 andy3695

forget about your rights here for a sec,
    not really worth the hassle if he met at your house, i am assuming that is where he viewed the car. correct me if i'm wrong. sounds like he was a time waster right from the start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Your windows are worth more than €100, better just giving a piece of $hit like this his money back, really not worth the hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

The best way to avoid this kind of situation is to write a proper reciept when taking the deposit and go through it with the purchaser at the time. You state that the deposit is non-refundable, that failure to pay the balance within 7 days will result in forfeiture of the deposit, that the car is sold as seen, no warranty given or implied, etc. One copy for you, one for the buyer, you both sign both copies.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Anan1 wrote: »
    The best way to avoid this kind of situation is to write a proper reciept when taking the deposit and go through it with the purchaser at the time. You state that the deposit is non-refundable, that failure to pay the balance within 7 days will result in forfeiture of the deposit, that the car is sold as seen, no warranty given or implied, etc. One copy for you, one for the buyer, you both sign both copies.

ive done this before and worked out fine, ive actually done it both ways, when selling and buying!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭brandon_flowers

kceire wrote: »
    ive actually done it both ways, when selling and buying!

That is so wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

That is so wrong.

Why is that so wrong ?

A handshake in this country is in theory all it takes, but timewasters become just more and more common. I know people, that have been stuck with their house because they had to tell other people no because of time wasters.

Either you buy the car .. deposit or full price or you don't.

Sticking it down on paper just makes it very very very clear and legal.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭The-Game

Your 100% within your rights, but it can be easier to give it back depending on the type of person and if he viewed it at your house, a right pain in the ass alright though best you can do is re-advertise due to timewasters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

The-Game wrote: »
    Your 100% within your rights, but it can be easier to give it back depending on the type of person and if he viewed it at your house, a right pain in the ass alright though best you can do is re-advertise due to timewasters

Sounds about right, What I would have done in that situation though is not taken a deposit, and told him go get his money and allow the others in to see the car and tell them I have another fellow but I am not too sure about him, if they seem ready to part with the cash then go with them and ring your man and say sorry out of luck! A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭brandon_flowers

Marlow wrote: »
    Why is that so wrong ?

/M

Read what I quoted again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭kildarelad

Your windows are worth more than €100, better just giving a piece of $hit like this his money back, really not worth the hassle.
    Exactly i got a call off his da saying he was gonna find out where i lived and break my neck if i didnt give the money back.This didnt bother me because i had met them at a location a bit away from my house and they didnt know who i was. The problem started when his girlfriend who lives locally realised who i was and i have a nice car myself and i reckoned your man would be the kind of scrote that would key a car.I made a mistake in my first post i brought him for the test drive and i drove it for him and showed him what the car was like and he was happy enough

• Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭jaffa20

kildarelad wrote: »
    Exactly i got a call off his da saying he was gonna find out where i lived and break my neck if i didnt give the money back.This didnt bother me because i had met them at a location a bit away from my house and they didnt know who i was. The problem started when his girlfriend who lives locally realised who i was and i have a nice car myself and i reckoned your man would be the kind of scrote that would key a car.I made a mistake in my first post i brought him for the test drive and i drove it for him and showed him what the car was like and he was happy enough

Then you did right. Not worth the hassle. Sound like a bunch of scum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

kildarelad wrote: »
    Should have reported that to the Gardaí tbh.
    Scumbags.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭kildarelad

Should have reported that to the Gardaí tbh.
    Scumbags.
    He had the cheek to threaten to bring me to the guards because i stole a hundred euro from him he said!!
    This will come back on the little scumbag down the line

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭NedKelly

when i was selling my Boxster the AMOUNT of moustached 18 year olds were ringing me up and arriving to the house as "prospective buyers"
    but 1 bloke took the buscuit

he roadtested the car for 40 mins looked under it and over it shook it
    bounced it ,kicked the tyres , poured over the NCT ,went thru the history of the car with a fine tooth comb and THEN

ASKED ME IF I WOULD BE INTEREST In A PART EXCHANGE OF A BOAT!!!!!!:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭pcardin

NedKelly wrote: »
    when i was selling my Boxster the AMOUNT of moustached 18 year olds were ringing me up and arriving to the house as "prospective buyers"
    but 1 bloke took the buscuit

he roadtested the car for 40 mins looked under it and over it shook it
    bounced it ,kicked the tyres , poured over the NCT ,went thru the history of the car with a fine tooth comb and THEN

ASKED ME IF I WOULD BE INTEREST In A PART EXCHANGE OF A BOAT!!!!!!:eek:

OMG!!! :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭cascade35

My own rule is i never take a deposit.
    I always say ive other people intrested and its going to the first person who turns up with the cash.

Advertisement