Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tignes NYE 2009

Options
  • 02-11-2009 7:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi Folks,

Thinking about booking 1 week at Tignes for 26th Dec, taking in NYE.

I have never skied at this time of year, and was wondering what I can expect in relation to temperature, and snow levels.

Would you need to get lucky with snow, or is typically ok this time of year?

Would you expect ice cold weather with full on balaclava wearing costume, or would it be bearable?

Sorry for the questions, Ive skiied a good few times before - just never at this time of year ok.

Any guidance much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭gavkm27

Hey Tignes is at 2100m is it's 1 of the highest resorts in Europe,so can be pretty cold around then,it will definetly have snow then and if it's a bad year you can still ride the Glacier,also it's a big party town so there will be plenty of parties happening,tignes is a snowsure resort in my opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭COUCH WARRIOR

We're heading to Val d'Isere on the 5th of December, via Geneva. Anybody know the best option of getting from Geneva to Val d'Isere? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Honestly, it can be very cold

I snapped one of my bindings in Tignes one year just because it was so cold...on the other hand it can also be very warm with beautiful sunny days!.. the joys of an unpredictable winter..

The old mantra still applies, prepare for the worst, plan for the best.

I bring a full face mask with me and I have a jacket that I can zip up over my mouth, a face mask will fit into any of your pockets / bag so they are easy to carry.

One great thing about NYE on the snow, is everything looks so Christmass-e, you have the Christmas Tree's, lights, and decorations up all over town. Its really quite nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Tignes is snow sure, and very cold. Because it is snow sure, it can get a bit crowded at New Year, but the trick is to ski the other side of the mountains at peak times, so you are not competing with half the resort for the funi or fast chairs.

Bring lots of good thermals, and the face mask is an excellent suggestion.

The majority of people tend to head for the area between Tignes and Val d'Isere, so you can get great uncrowded skiing if you head down towards Tignes Les Boisses etc. Also good for lunch down there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Yeah the coldest experience i ever had was i tignes.

deffo - lots of good thermal stuff. layers. facemask a must.

that being said it is without doubt the best skiing terrain I've ever come across.....if you don't mind the town itself being ugly (thou i may be prettier by now)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭jack01986

We're heading to Val d'Isere on the 5th of December, via Geneva. Anybody know the best option of getting from Geneva to Val d'Isere? Thanks

You could get the bus train or taxi. The train drops you of in Bourg St Maurice so you would have to get a connecting bus or taxi. Check this page out http://www.valdisere.com/gb/sejour/acces/acces.php?expandable=0&ssmenu=13
    Enjoy, im just back from there its got the best early season snow for a number of years according to the locals.

Bus: http://www.altibus.com/index.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭COUCH WARRIOR

thanks for the link Jack, we're ariving too late in Geneva for the train and bus. We decided to rent a car and I see car parks for under €100 for the week so sorted :) and way cheaper than a minibus transfer evenallowing for petrol, snowchains/winter tires and some tolls.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭jack01986

Nice one its not a bad drive as well there is the new motorway for a good bit of the way up until Annecy.

Advertisement