Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

C220 CDI Remap - Should I?

Options
  • 02-11-2009 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have a 06 C220 Cdi (auto)and was looking at a remap.

One site says they can up it from 150bhp to 190bhp.

Obviously I'd imagine the fuel economy will go down with the rise in bhp but it's quite confusing, a lot of threads and discussions seem to say you get better fuel consumption.
    Has anybody got any input on the above?Maybe anybody who has actually had it done to a C220?

I don't want to get it done until I'm fairly sure about the pros and cons, and I want the upping in power documented by the remappers.I presume they certify it?

Also, is there an issue with resale?People assuming it's been driven hard because it's been remapped etc?
    Is it recognisable when a Merc garage plugs in its dagnostics unit?
    I would tell my insurance company, but a couple of sites have said you don't have to because it's not recognisable by a diagnostics unit. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,578 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

i would if it was me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

The Mercedez 220 CDI engine is meant to be a beast of an engine, and well able to take being remapped.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭GTE

Remap doesnt mean lower MPG, from my own research into it. Its still down to how you drive the car and I suppose if you floor it all the time it will go down more then when you floor it before you got the remap but if you drive "normally" then it should be the same. However, thats just from me reading around. Maybe the technical answer is more complex.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭JCDUB

Thanks lads, info seems a bit vague on different forums about the place.
    Think I'll give the remap lads a call and see what they say, just wanted some unbiased info though.

Any other input welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭wing52

Just a thought,if the ecu was a "learning" type,would it evetually

re-program itself to a driving style that suits you instead of being

on-boost a lot more,which is what a re-map seems to do?

Id hate to spend money and find that out!:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭JCDUB

wing52 wrote: »
    Just a thought,if the ecu was a "learning" type,would it evetually

re-program itself to a driving style that suits you instead of being

on-boost a lot more,which is what a re-map seems to do?

Id hate to spend money and find that out!:eek:

Thats it wing, I don't think so to be honest.But even if it does learn from your driving style its not gonna give you an extra 40bhp.

I'm not sure if I want to sacrifice the MPG for extra performance tbh, I'm not a boy racer and I do realise that a lot of potential second hand Mercedes buyers won't be interested in a remapped car, due to age, status etc.

It's a tough one to call really.
    190bhp is appealing to me though at the end of the day:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'm no expert on remapping but afaik you can have the car remapped for better fuel economy not just top speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Go for it. Might as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

You can always get it undone before you sell too

Advertisement