Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laser units VS The Law

Options
  • 02-11-2009 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Lads,

Got thomann's newsletter in the post today. Soo tempted to buy so much stuff:p Anways, I noticed laser systems with 40, 50 and 100mW output ratings. From discussions on the Airsoft board I believe the legal limit is a meager 5mW.

This has me wondering, a) are lights excluded b) is the illegality of these systems ignored c) are permits easily available in order to allow their use?

Christmas is coming and I feel a big order coming on:)
    Cheers,
    Lethal.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

I've not got one nor would I want one as its very tacky if not done correctly.

But, thomann will sell you want you want. Don't know the legal limits here but I would assume customs would stop it and failing that you should up hold the law from your end.

Airsoft lazers and disco lazer's have 2 totally different applicaitions. Disco lazers are not mounted to shine in your face and are normally mounted high up and point to where they can not make eye contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Customs wont stop your laser coming from Germany, These lasers are not high powered, for a decent laser for a night club you are looking at well over a grand, but don’t get me wrong if you do purchase a laser make sure it is mounted above the crowd and its needs plenty of haze or Fog to make the effects look decent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

i was only talking about lasers at the weekend. remember years ago going to clubs and lasers didnt exist. it was pretty much a selling poing of the night "importing a laser for a one off" kinda thing.

now there at ****ing everything and people are buying them for their gaf's....tut tut

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Quick question, no hi jack intended, what mW rating would you need for a medium sized venue? Not club size but a reasonable sized hall? I was looking at a few lasers and you can go from €500 to €12,000. I don't want cheap, I want decent to do the job without overkill.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,405 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Christmas is coming and I feel a big order coming on:)

lucky you:) I love browsing the Thomann newsletter, the latest one is here on my desk right now...but it's even more fun browsing their website.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I presume disco lasers differ from laser pointers in that their images are not fixed and also they can be placed at height to avoid people that are stupid enough to stare straight into the device. Most of the laser sold in Thormond and Musicstore.de are only toys compaired to the more powerful RGBS seen in clubs. If you want a decent one expect to pay a couple of grand. The KAM Starcluster range are a good low budget starter model for small venues and don't require smoke for enhancement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

I presume disco lasers differ from laser pointers in that their images are not fixed and also they can be placed at height to avoid people that are stupid enough to stare straight into the device.

Club lasers are designed to be shot over peoples heads and not into their eyes. A single point laser can burn the back of your eyeball if it hits you, making blind spots. Dangerous pieces of equipment if used wrong.

I remember years ago to put a laser into a club you have to have 3 phase, water reservoirs on the roof and huge chunk of space to fit the laser. Now you can buy air cooled ones that plug into the mains. I think lasers look ****e unless you get a decent one. The cheaper ones look really tacky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

im the words of Amon Tobin - '**** the light show, pump every penny into the soundsystem'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

dc10 is the bst club in ibiza, not a laser in sight. not even any major lights to be honest.

4 walls, a bar and a dj.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I'm just learning myself, doing it for the laugh, not for money(least not yet).

I have 2X350Ws which are plenty for what I'm doing, so I just thought some light effects might be fun. I've got myself craving for a KP3 again now....damnit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

Táck wrote: »
    dc10 is the bst club in ibiza, not a laser in sight. not even any major lights to be honest.

4 walls, a bar and a dj.
    speaks volumes for the music!

Club lasers are designed to be shot over peoples heads and not into their eyes. A single point laser can burn the back of your eyeball if it hits you, making blind spots. Dangerous pieces of equipment if used wrong.

I remember years ago to put a laser into a club you have to have 3 phase, water reservoirs on the roof and huge chunk of space to fit the laser. Now you can buy air cooled ones that plug into the mains. I think lasers look ****e unless you get a decent one. The cheaper ones look really tacky.
    I have a "Super 3" RGY laser that was thrown out of an njght club, all that was wrong was that the mirror mount ceramic had broken off throwing the two laser diodes out of synchro, I repaired it and it is now fine, New it cost the club about £2.500. Im sure the same or better could be purchased for less than £400 now and would be less than 1/3 the size.

Most of the cheaper Chinese lasers are not ILDA compliant. Lasers have come along way even in the last 5 years. The Martin 1.6 RGB is awesom, it would want to be at over £33'000

• Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

The Martin 1.6 RGB is awesom, it would want to be at over £33'000

Not worth 33,000 imo

Not worth 33,000 imo

I can't see any club in Ireland buying one. in fact I was very dissapointed with the Queens nightclub in Ennis for installing a cheap monocolour Green laser after a major revamp last year. Their 8 year old RGY laser was better job. You will find it hard to find any nightclub in this country with a good laser system.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭FLYNN-DOG

speaks volumes for the music!

I've spent 4 months of my life on that island and it's never been open a day I was there. What are the chances?

I can't see any club in Ireland buying one. in fact I was very dissapointed with the Queens nightclub in Ennis for installing a cheap monocolour Green laser after a major revamp last year. Their 8 year old RGY laser was better job. You will find it hard to find any nightclub in this country with a good laser system.

Used to have a water cooled color laser in a club I worked in years ago. Still havent seen anything like it in a club till this day. Really really bright, only ever seen brightness like in an arena situation.

Light rigs are always the last thing to be budgeted for after toilets, bars, architectural light and soundsystem. Lasers are always the last thing to be budgeted for after the rest of the lights.

Used to have a water cooled color laser in a club I worked in years ago. Still havent seen anything like it in a club till this day. Really really bright, only ever seen brightness like in an arena situation.

Light rigs are always the last thing to be budgeted for after toilets, bars, architectural light and soundsystem. Lasers are always the last thing to be budgeted for after the rest of the lights.

Couldn't agree more on that. Its a shame really as done well, they can be very very effective. So would 200mW be ok for a large room? I know lasers are a tad different in terms of Wattage as your getting a very pure, concentrated wavelength. Is there anywhere in Ireland you can try before you buy? YouTube only goes so far.

ironclaw wrote: »
    . So would 200mW be ok for a large room?

Depends on what you're calling a large room really. Ambient light takes the effect away aswell, take that into account. That includes poxy bottle fridges with enough power to light a small town every time they're opened.

Depends on what you're calling a large room really. Ambient light takes the effect away aswell, take that into account. That includes poxy bottle fridges with enough power to light a small town every time they're opened.
    The wall texture and surrounds ie lighting etc will also make a huge difference Marquees are usually cr*p with lasers as the material soaks up the light. Haze or light fog will also make a big difference. I came across this this on Ebay, 480 MW RGB ILDA, not bad for the price.

The wall texture and surrounds ie lighting etc will also make a huge difference Marquees are usually cr*p with lasers as the material soaks up the light.

Think we're on about 2 different things here. You're talking about using lasers to project cartoon images and logos onto walls whereas I'm on about using a laser as a lighting effect with beams and tunnels. A wall makes no difference to a lasers brightness as it cuts thru the air & haze. I think most people when they think about using a laser in a club would think about that, rather than cheap looking animations.

• Advertisement

Think we're on about 2 different things here. You're talking about using lasers to project cartoon images and logos onto walls whereas I'm on about using a laser as a lighting effect with beams and tunnels. A wall makes no difference to a lasers brightness as it cuts thru the air & haze. I think most people when they think about using a laser in a club would think about that, rather than cheap looking animations.
    I agree the handfull of cartoons that come stock with a laser are usually crap but with the correct input and software the skys the limit in what you can put on the wall including personal requests.

The one I use has a switch at the back for both options, ie cartoons and tunnels. If the venue forbids fog and hase I would throw images on the wall instead.

I agree the handfull of cartoons that come stock with a laser are usually crap but with the correct input and software the skys the limit in what you can put on the wall including personal requests.

The one I use has a switch at the back for both options, ie cartoons and tunnels. If the venue forbids fog and hase I would throw images on the wall instead.

A venue that doesn't allow haze is a venue that def doesn't need a laser.

Muse last night.....Lasers, when done right, are epic. Sure, I knew that from the last time they were here:)

I think I'll hold off anyways 'till I can afford to go DMX.

Muse last night.....Lasers, when done right, are epic. Sure, I knew that from the last time they were here:)

Agree on that. Tons of mirrors around the venue. Blurry iphone pic.

muse.jpg

Ironically I got hit in the eye with a laser at the RDS yesterday. Hurt like hell and still does :(

But +1 on the Muse lasers, heard about them before.

Agree on that. Tons of mirrors around the venue. Blurry iphone pic.

Please tell me you werent seated.....

BTW, see the center mirror, move about 3 pixels down, that black pixel, thats my head!

Please tell me you werent seated.....

Was in the seating area, but we stood for the gig. Got pit passes but looked a bit mental, rather see from a distance. Had to go to work after so didn't want to wreck myself.

Advertisement