Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Volunteering for excavations how to?

Options
  • 02-11-2009 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Does anyone know how I would go about Volunteering for excavations etc either at home or abroad? Or do you know any good sites or companys etc I could look at or contact?

Obviously I'd prefer to be paid but jobs in this sector are hard to come by at the moment especially as I've only recently graduated.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

There isnt really much going at the moment but contacting the universities is probably the best bet. Most of the research work is seasonal however, not sure if there is anything going through the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭uncle ernie

might find something here...

http://www.pasthorizons.com/WorldProjects/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

If you're fancy something warmer, you could contact Tom at the Irish Institute of Hellenic Studies at Athens.
    He might be able to tell you what excavations in Greece have free places for volunteers next summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 gravensteen

If you want to do Irish or English commercial work, I'd say get on as many of the Irish/ English summer volunteer digs as possible. The digs in Europe and elsewhere are brilliant fun, but the first thing commercial asks you is if you've ever dug in Ireland/ England on the side of a windswept hill in the driving rain, cleaning burnt mounds.

Advertisement