Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Critical Review

Options
  • 02-11-2009 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭

Hi Lads,

I was just wondering if ye had time to give this site a crit review?

Irish Farms and Farming

Any recommendations, suggestions, complaints welcome.

Thanks
    Gary

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

You asked for a critique, so here's my take on it.

The site looks built, rather than designed. Looks like a good amount of work was put into finding a CMS, picking a template, putting in content and getting the site up and running and functioning well.

However, it looks like very little time was put into the 'why' part of the design. From a visual aspect it's functional, but very basic, and does nothing to give a good impression of the site, the content, or the brand. The layout, content structure, information architecture and everything else all look like they came when a technical structure was put in place as opposed to after the actual needs of the client have been understood.

As such, a website exists, but the exact same website could exist for multiple organisations around the world. At first glance, it seems like there's very little engagement with the client or real understanding of their business or customer needs.

It's possible there wasn't the time or budget for that from the client, or it could be that way for a variety of reasons, but I think that custom design work and really understanding a clients business is what's needed for sites to really succeed and to separate us from the on-click €500 webshops.

I'd say you need to work with a designer on your projects if you want to take things to the next level.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭randombar

Thanks for that detailed response, I appreciate it.

For the record I havent touched the site . . . yet . . :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I really hate sites like this and would never consider using it regardless of content.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

GaryCocs wrote: »
    Thanks for that detailed response, I appreciate it.
    For the record I havent touched the site . . . yet . . :D
    np, might you be doing a redesign?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

S.M.B. wrote: »
    I really hate sites like this and would never consider using it regardless of content.

I wouldn't mind if the site was seriosuly offensive in it's design and delivery of infomation, but you're statement is not solidly critical in any way. My advise - Unless you're prepared to backup harsh words like that with solid feedback to help OP develop - don't bother.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 dhayz2000

The "Farm To Farm Trading" link in the left hand nav is blocked by Google as a Reported Attack Site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

Much has been said already but what jumped at me is the HTML resized pic in the featured article (ouch) and pixelated IFA logos in bottom left and top right corner. The main logo does not look professional either. In general I agree that this website has not been designed but just put together and that's how it looks to a visitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I don't like the colours at all, it looks like a halloween template or something. If they're your company colours I'd work them into a background or tone them down, don't use them as much through out the site.

P is right it needs to be looked at from a design point of view, there's nothing all that wrong with it, it just could be better. It's all very clumped together and cramped looking at the moment. Everything else is fine, you've plenty of content but I can't comment on that, being forced into a reps course is about the closest I've been to farming. I do think maybe you might have to much content and uneeded things.

If a few of you involved sat down and yet through the site with some other people that have never seen it, you could work out allot of design problems but if you want to be sure and get it done fast get a pro in.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

sticker wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind if the site was seriosuly offensive in it's design and delivery of infomation, but you're statement is not solidly critical in any way. My advise - Unless you're prepared to backup harsh words like that with solid feedback to help OP develop - don't bother.
    I know I didn't add any sort of constructive feedback but p had already outlined the reasons why I dislike sites like these.

Also, I'm presuming it's not the OPs work and he is looking at redesigning the site. I wouldn't be so harsh and non-constructive had he been looking for feedback on his own design.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

S.M.B. wrote: »
    I know I didn't add any sort of constructive feedback but p had already outlined the reasons why I dislike sites like these.

Also, I'm presuming it's not the OPs work and he is looking at redesigning the site. I wouldn't be so harsh and non-constructive had he been looking for feedback on his own design.

You can dance around it all you like, you're comment wasn't constructive. It was a petty generalisation without any basis. I wouldn't even bother trying to justify it.

To make matters worse, you cant just add the statement "p had already outlined the reasons why I dislike sites like these" after the fact.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the info there lads, I have a lot of ideas myself I was just looking for something I might have missed (obviously I missed a few!)

I started another post (somewhere???) looking for a "top ten" of best looking sites, very vague I know, but I think the site does need a revamp, very dated looking, needs a lot more rounded corners :D

p wrote: »
    np, might you be doing a redesign?

I might :D

Advertisement