Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi A4 2.0TDI (2008+) reliability problems?

Options
  • 02-11-2009 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

I was thinking of buying a 2008 A4 (the 143bhp 2.0 Ltr).
    However, I have hear about a lot of people complaining about the reliability.

Some people telling me to stay away from them completely as they burn loads of oil (said to me by someone in the petrol station business as they see more Audi owners than anyone else buying oil), and also lots of them have had to go back to manufacturers with engine problems (said to me by someone in the used car sales trade who won't stack them because of problems he has had with them). Supposedly some problem with the oil crank going and that causing the problems with timing belt and then finally a broken engine.

Anyone else have any opinions on the A4's TDi engine reliability?
    Are they as bad as I've heard? I don't mind the fact that you not getting Jap standard reliability, but I don't want to be plagued with problems either.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 calyx

I think that engine is a super one. The burn approx 0.5lrt between services. No big deal. Apart from that you will have no problems. How can you mention jap cars in the same conversation an as Audi!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

calyx wrote: »
    I think that engine is a super one. The burn approx 0.5lrt between services. No big deal. Apart from that you will have no problems. How can you mention jap cars in the same conversation an as Audi!!!

Maybe because Jap cars have real reliability as opposed to percieved reliability.
    Anyway, yes, that 2 litre PD engine isn't the greatest, and most of them drink far more than 0.5 litres between services. Some up to a litre per 1,000 miles. The newer CR one seems to be OK so far, apart from issues with the drive-by-wire throttle.
    I guess it's down to how it was treated by the previous owner. If it burned oil and they gave it some, then it should be fine if you continue to do the same. If you're worried, then a 320d is a better car with a much better engine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

calyx wrote: »
    How can you mention jap cars in the same conversation an as Audi!!!

Quote of the week:D

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭angryInch

Biro wrote: »
    Maybe because Jap cars have real reliability as opposed to percieved reliability.
    Anyway, yes, that 2 litre PD engine isn't the greatest, and most of them drink far more than 0.5 litres between services. Some up to a litre per 1,000 miles. The newer CR one seems to be OK so far, apart from issues with the drive-by-wire throttle.
    I guess it's down to how it was treated by the previous owner. If it burned oil and they gave it some, then it should be fine if you continue to do the same. If you're worried, then a 320d is a better car with a much better engine.
    Sorry, can you explain what you mean by PD and CR?

If you're worried, then a 320d is a better car with a much better engine.
    To be honest I'd agree, however I don't like the look of the e90's.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I think the Audi A4 post March 2008 is a fine car and only bettered by choosing the Sport Pack above the entry level model.

I know a number of people with these cars and all but 2 out of 9 have had issues with the electronic handbrake. These are all 1st edition March 2008 models they are all driving as well so possibly the error has been fixed on later models.

Regarding oil. That is certainly not something I have heard but then again all our company cars are serviced regularly. None of the guys have complained about excessive burning of oil.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

The 2008+ cars the OP's asking about won't be PD. They're all Common Rail.

-Chris- wrote: »
    The 2008+ cars the OP's asking about won't be PD. They're all Common Rail.

Ah, Common Rail and Pump Duse, fair enough, yes, as you say it'd definetly be common rail, its was the newer model 2008 (March+) I was looking at.

Also, I am getting differing info on the CO2 rating of the 2008 143bhp A4, it seams that it came out with a CO2 rating of 143bhp, and then was revised 139CO2, does anyone know exactly when it was changed?

In week 22 of 2008 there was a change made in production that moved the A4 from band C to band B for emissions.
    The band B car is obviously more desirable, if you're buying a band C car, make sure that's reflected in the price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

We've had a lot of problems regarding clutches on this particular car. Its linked to the electronic handbrake, and the clutches being made out of a softer compound.

Just something to be aware of.

Don't the 2.0 VAG diesels have an issue with cracked cylinder heads at 70K ish ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,789 ✭✭✭✭unkel

-Chris- wrote: »
    In week 22 of 2008 there was a change made in production that moved the A4 from band C to band B for emissions.
    The band B car is obviously more desirable, if you're buying a band C car, make sure that's reflected in the price.

How can you tell if the car is band B or C? (except of course by looking at the tax disc :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Souwester

OP my wife bought a 08 A4 about two months ago and so far it's running well. I love it as it's such a good car to cruise and will munch the miles if you have big milage to cover. I think it's returning about 40 - 42 MPG. It's got loads of poke and pick up for those spirited trips around town, a big boot and much better finish inside than some other makes in that sector.

The one problem I would have with it if it were my car is the front seats. They have no lumber adjustment at all and they allow the spine to curve back into the seat. This could be countered with a pillow or whatever I suppose. one more thing is a lack of space between the clutch and the side of the footwell of the car which means after you change gear you have to put left foot under the clutch. This was an issue (for me anyway) on the old Audi 80 as well.

Would I recommend it to a friend???

A definate yes.

Good luck if you go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

I have the 170bhp engine and its sweet.Test drove the 143 in the A4 first and it was just as good as the 2.0d engine in the S40 if not better. No issues what so ever with my engine. Reminds me must check the oil, last I checked it was bang on where it should have been. Returning average 48mpg.

Probably. Sometimes they have different turbos etc.

I don't know to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭MPB

just as good as the 2.0d engine in the S40 if not better

Of course its better than the S40. The S40 has the Peugeot engine. lol I know a few people with these cars and none have had any issues. Do they burn oil? Yes some VAG cars with the 2.0TDI engine burn a drop. I say some cause some burn 1ltr every 3k miles and others might only burn 1ltr between oil changes. The important thing I would say is to make sure it gets the long life oil service every service but service it every 10k. VW recommend that with the long life oil you should be good for 20k but IMO thats far too long to leave oil in a car. I have the 2.0TDI Golf and at first it did burn oil. But after the second service that stopped and hasn't returned. I can't really say a bad word about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

angryInch wrote: »

Some people telling me to stay away from them completely as they burn loads of oil (said to me by someone in the petrol station business as they see more Audi owners than anyone else buying oil) :eek:

and also lots of them have had to go back to manufacturers with engine problems (said to me by someone in the used car sales trade who won't stack them because of problems he has had with them). Supposedly some problem with the oil crank going and that causing the problems with timing belt and then finally a broken engine.

I think you would be better listening to people who have owned the car and not people who have noticed Audi owners buying more oil.....??

Sory MPB should have clarified I was talking in terms of Torque and acceleration.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭GTE

angryInch wrote: »
    Sorry, can you explain what you mean by PD and CR?

I dont know if it was answered in a post but basically PD and CR are different generations of the Volkswagen Audi Group TDI.

My VW is a year 2000 TDI and that has the VE type TDI which was replaced by the PD in about 2003 or 2004 in Europe and then more recently the CR.
    Mind you, I dunno what the difference is technically. I believe the PD's injected the diesel in higher pressure then the VE did, so more performance but I dont know.

EDIT:
    My bad, I just reread and found you knew what it was anyway.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

MPB wrote: »
    Of course its better than the S40. The S40 has the Peugeot engine. lol I know a few people with these cars and none have had any issues. Do they burn oil? Yes some VAG cars with the 2.0TDI engine burn a drop. I say some cause some burn 1ltr every 3k miles and others might only burn 1ltr between oil changes. The important thing I would say is to make sure it gets the long life oil service every service but service it every 10k. VW recommend that with the long life oil you should be good for 20k but IMO thats far too long to leave oil in a car. I have the 2.0TDI Golf and at first it did burn oil. But after the second service that stopped and hasn't returned. I can't really say a bad word about them.

Audi say 30K intervals now, and you would think as they aren't BMW, they would know something about their diesels.......:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭imeddyhobbs

1 thing that any potential audi buyer should know is that you should have at LEAST €3000 ready for breakdowns

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,261 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

1 thing that any potential audi buyer should know is that you should have at LEAST €3000 ready for breakdowns

Now Ive had problems with Audi but that is not really a fair comment. Generally, bills are alot less scary than bmw for example. In your case, dodgy mechanics caused a bill of 2.5k when it should have been no more than 300 to 400 possibly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

I've read a few reviews of the 08+ audi A4 and they all seem to say that the ride isnt great. I'd do a lot of driving on pretty bad country roads. Any owners care to comment on their experience?

Ride quality = better than BMW, worse than Merc.

Bigger alloys can be quite harsh, but if you go for standard alloys you should be ok.

Test drive it yourself - comfort is a subjective thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

betafrog wrote: »
    If you can, try and get an import from the UK. Better toys and longer warranty.

If you buy one from the uk with the longer warranty (3 year?) will it be honoured here by audi garages? Why the longer warranty in the uk?

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭MPB

Scruff wrote: »
    If you buy one from the uk with the longer warranty (3 year?) will it be honoured here by audi garages? Why the longer warranty in the uk?

The third year afaik is a dealer only warranty and does not transfer. Its 2 years manufacturer's and 1 year dealer add on and is covered solely by that dealer.

Well guys, thats for all the comments.
    Kinda what I expected, they're not without their problems, but not as bad as I've heard.
    I had an A4 (petorl) a few years ago, had it for about 2 years, and it was OK, however had problem with the catylic converter (and oxygen sensor) that seemingly happen to most of them at around 80k miles.
    So I'm not without experience of Audi, was just wondering what the new diesel engine is like.
    I think you would be better listening to people who have owned the car and not people who have noticed Audi owners buying more oil.....??
    I disagree, people who own the car often are reluctant to disparage it, and when you see about 70% of your oil being sold to people driving VAG cars, and also a few of them complaining about the rate that it burns, surly this is valid info.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭LittleGarry

Hi Folks, for what it's worth I brought in a Sept 2008 143bhp A4 S-Line with 19" Alloys a couple of months back. I can't say a bad word about it €156 road tax, yes on some of our crappy roads you have to be extra careful to look out for the craters (potholes). It can get a bit bumpy at moderate speeds on rough surfaces but that is down to the wheels I would assume. No issues with oil whatsoever - I have done about 4k in it so far. Out on the open road on a long run it is an absolute pleasure to drive and munches the miles effortlessly, with what seems like endless power. The handling and road holding are second to none - just not lookin forward to the bill for 4 new tyres!!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,587 ✭✭✭tossy

RoverJames wrote: »
    Don't the 2.0 VAG diesels have an issue with cracked cylinder heads at 70K ish ?

Yes there was a technical bulletin from VAG about this,its only certain heads and only those in the A4,there is also a known problem with the balance shaft in the chain driven oil pump failing.I think these are all PD problems though and don't effect the CR engine,i could be wrong.

Advertisement