Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

O Briens Motors

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Hey guys,

Considering buying this car:

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Peugeot/206/LX-5Dr/200941195464709/advert?channel=CARS

Just wondering has anyone ever had any dealings with the garage or know anything bad? The sales guy seems pretty rude and my dad doesn't seem to trust small garages and the sales guy isn't doing anything to chang my dads opinion.

Cheers

The country is flooded with 206's. The salesman should be dying for your cash, especially in these times. I would walk away if I were in your position. You won't have a problem finding another 206. And also look at it this way......when the salesman is being rude when you are trying to buy the car, imagine what he would be like if something went wrong!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Bryn wrote: »
    The country is flooded with 206's. The salesman should be dying for your cash, especially in these times. I would walk away if I were in your position. You won't have a problem finding another 206. And also look at it this way......when the salesman is being rude when you are trying to buy the car, imagine what he would be like if something went wrong!

Sorry for going off topic a little but thats very poor advice to the OP. At the moment there is a huge shortage of good used cars out there. Demand for new cars is zero which in turn is leading to a lack of used cars because nobody is trading them in. People still need to get around but instead of buying new cars they are looking for used ones. This is actualy driving the price of Good Quality used cars through the roof.

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Sorry for going off topic a little but thats very poor advice to the OP. At the moment there is a huge shortage of good used cars out there. Demand for new cars is zero which in turn is leading to a lack of used cars because nobody is trading them in. People still need to get around but instead of buying new cars they are looking for used ones. This is actualy driving the price of Good Quality used cars through the roof.

That's poor advice? So you would be happy buying one of the most popular small cars in the country off a rude salesman from a garage which isn't even SIMI registered? When there are so many other 206's out there to choose from?

You need to get a bit of a grip IMO. Yes the demand for good second hand cars is high at the moment, but you are talking like this is possibly one of the very very few clean 206's in the country!!!! We are talking about 206's here...........they are everywhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Rylan

There are only 7 cars on driving.ie cheaper than that that meet the same criteria. And only one with lower milleage. Wouldn't say that there are any amount of them out there. http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=search

• Registered Users Posts: 38 xXbusybeeXx

OP here there actuallly not everywhere iv gone all over dublin for the past week there nowhere to be had. Iv found about 4 3 ehich were not worth buying. Even the man in the pegeout garage n every other garage has said your going to find this car extremely hard to get and they have all been right everyone wants one I dont want to go lower than a 2004 which makes it even more difficult.

Whats Simi registered mean?

• Advertisement

That's poor advice? So you would be happy buying one of the most popular small cars in the country off a rude salesman from a garage which isn't even SIMI registered? When there are so many other 206's out there to choose from?

You need to get a bit of a grip IMO. Yes the demand for good second hand cars is high at the moment, but you are talking like this is possibly one of the very very few clean 206's in the country!!!! We are talking about 206's here...........they are everywhere!

Look you obviously dont understand the dynamic of the situation here. I suspect he went in with his dad and they both kinda acted watery towards the salesman. He's already admitted that his Dad doesnt trust small garages so as a salesman I can tell you that this shone through. The OP hasnt even described why he thinks the salesman was rude and you were condeming the salesman. Get the facts then comment. Sorry OP for going off topic but there's not much point listening to bad advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Simi registered means that if god forbid, your car goes has problems
    a week after buying it, you can get a refund if the garager can't fix it.
    Think most decent garages give you a 6 months cover buying second
    cars off them. So becareful.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,244 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

From SIMI's own site: "The SIMI is the official voice of the motor industry in Ireland."

I wouldn't get caught up on the year of the car, unless there were some changes to the model or something.

I think the 206 is a pretty good car - I had one for 2 years, and my wife has the same model as the one you linked to for nearly 3 years, and we've had very little trouble between us. That said, there are a good few cars in that range that are good as well. Have you your heart set on one, or are you open to other ideas? The Clio would be a good option as well, and the 1.2 engine should be a bit nippier.

Look you obviously dont understand the dynamic of the situation here. I suspect he went in with his dad and they both kinda acted watery towards the salesman. He's already admitted that his Dad doesnt trust small garages so as a salesman I can tell you that this shone through. The OP hasnt even described why he thinks the salesman was rude and you were condeming the salesman. Get the facts then comment. Sorry OP for going off topic but there's not much point listening to bad advice.

I dont understand the dynamic? Who do you think you are speaking to?
    Telling me to get my facts before commenting? All we have to go on is the original post, and now you are saying that it's the op's fault that the salesman was rude towards them cos they went in and were "watery" towards them? Where in the original post did the op say that?

eoin wrote: »
    I wouldn't get caught up on the year of the car, unless there were some changes to the model or something.

x10000000! :)

• Advertisement

I dont understand the dynamic? Who do you think you are speaking to?
    Telling me to get my facts before commenting? All we have to go on is the original post, and now you are saying that it's the op's fault that the salesman was rude towards them cos they went in and were "watery" towards them? Where in the original post did the op say that?

May I remind you of what you said to the original post....

"......when the salesman is being rude when you are trying to buy the car, imagine what he would be like if something went wrong! "

God that salesman...Just Imagine how good he is to his mother though :D

May I remind you of what you said to the original post....

"......when the salesman is being rude when you are trying to buy the car, imagine what he would be like if something went wrong! "

God that salesman...Just Imagine how good he is to his mother though :D

Yes I did say that, and I still stand by it. It's common sense. They want your money, and yet they are being rude to you. So why would they be nice to you, when they have to fix something for you for free?
    I guarantee the majority of people on this forum would never buy a car off a salesman who was rude to them or they got a bad vide off, unless of course they were a mechanic and after sales service meant nothing to them.

I see you totally ignored my last post? Obviously you can't understand when somebody is talking sense

• Registered Users Posts: 51,161 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Hey guys,

Considering buying this car:

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Peugeot/206/LX-5Dr/200941195464709/advert?channel=CARS

Just wondering has anyone ever had any dealings with the garage or know anything bad? The sales guy seems pretty rude and my dad doesn't seem to trust small garages and the sales guy isn't doing anything to chang my dads opinion.

Cheers

OP, that looks a bit on the expensive side, did you take a look at this 05, it looks tidy enough and a year younger:

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200943195578802

Op the car looks good top me from the Pictures. Good colour and the mileage is nice and low. Its the cheapest one on carzone with that many miles too. If you fancy it get it checked out by a mechanic before you hand over the wonga, if you're not trading anything in then expect to get between 3-500 quid off the asking and make sure you get atleast 6 months warranty on the engine and gearbox in writing. TBH I'd probably be trying to sway you towards something like this though....

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Ford/Fiesta/LX-3DR/200940195377084/advert?channel=CARS
    no-image-large.gif&width=120&height=90

Similar money but better built. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

I would walk away if I were in your position. You won't have a problem finding another 206. And also look at it this way......when the salesman is being rude when you are trying to buy the car, imagine what he would be like if something went wrong!

Hi busybee,

I have to agree here if the salesman was rude I would walk away and I know my father would too and he was a mechanic for years. I don't blame your dad for not wanting to deal with him. If the salesman was having a bad day tough he shouldn't be like that with you. You'd think in the times we are in at the moment he'd be a bit more welcoming and polite if he wanted your business. There are plenty of cars out there at the moment I've been looking for a few weeks now myself you just need to wait for the right deal to come along if your not in any mad rush to get it right now.

Also if you type in the garage name into google you will more than likely get a review or posts on different car forums from people who have dealt with them.

Good luck car hunting and don't rush into anything! :)

OP here
    Just to clarify some things up im a girl not a boy lol!!!
    I didn't start this thread to cause an argument lads. My heart is set on a pegeout im still a provisional licence holder so need nothing bigger than a 1.1 engine for insurance reasons so pegeout was my favourite "small" car if you like.

Sorry my first post was so vague about the rudeness of the sales man he wanted 4950 and i said it was a bit over my budget but was really interested in the car and the tax is up so asked what was the best deal he could do for me he simply said 4800 and i won't be going lower so another words don't bother asking me again.

The car is in top condition so i called back a few days later and said i had made a mistake about the costing of my tax and instead of the price i taught it would be its 286 and again he was rude and said well i don't now why you ever thought the tax was that much again showing no effort in wanting to sell the car to me.

In my opinion he was just rude and seemed very cold but I really want the car as its in such good condition. My orginal post was about the garage and if anyone knew anythin about them?

OP here
    Just to clarify some things up im a girl not a boy lol!!!
    I didn't start this thread to cause an argument lads. My heart is set on a pegeout im still a provisional licence holder so need nothing bigger than a 1.1 engine for insurance reasons so pegeout was my favourite "small" car if you like.

Sorry my first post was so vague about the rudeness of the sales man he wanted 4950 and i said it was a bit over my budget but was really interested in the car and the tax is up so asked what was the best deal he could do for me he simply said 4800 and i won't be going lower so don't bother asking me again.

The car is in top condition so i called back a few days later and said i had made a mistake about the costing of my tax and instead of the price i taught it would be its 286 and again he was rude and said well i don't now why you ever thought the tax was that much again showing no effort in wanting to sell the car to me.

In my opinion he was just rude and seemed very cold but I really want the car as its in such good condition. My orginal post was about the garage and if anyone knew anythin about them?

I'm a girl too don't mind the boys, let them bicker among themselves they take this car business to seriously sometimes! :p lol

Seriously though I find car salesman are rude to girls/ladies most of the time when it comes to cars anyway, eventho I could probably run rings around him when it comes to cars! Anyway I would not give him the sale for being that rude, and I think anyone I know would do the same thats ridiculous. He is meant to be selling you the car and advising you, not saying things like 'i don't now why you ever thought the tax was that much'.

But it is your choice your money but I'm with your dad on this i have to say. Do you know anyone who is a mechanic? Personally I have my dad so I'm lucky but if you could buy privately you would probably get one at a steal tbh. That is just my opinion but again I have someone to look them over for me.

Is this your first car? :)

Jemmy wrote: »
    Seriously though I find car salesman are rude to girls/ladies most of the time when it comes to cars anyway

Ah thats not fair :( Infact I'd say that "ladies" get the best treatment by Car salesmen . Just dont bring your Dad in to buy a car with you. Leave him outside. We had a great thread on this a few months back, I'll try to find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Just dont bring your Dad in to buy a car with you. Leave him outside. We had a great thread on this a few months back, I'll try to find it.
    Any salesperson who can't deal with a difficult dad/mother/partner isn't worthy of the name, IMO. Unless the car is very special and/or very well priced i'm with Bryn on this one.

Jemmy wrote: »
    I'm a girl too don't mind the boys, let them bicker among themselves they take this car business to seriously sometimes! :p lol

Seriously though I find car salesman are rude to girls/ladies most of the time when it comes to cars anyway, eventho I could probably run rings around him when it comes to cars! Anyway I would not give him the sale for being that rude, and I think anyone I know would do the same thats ridiculous. He is meant to be selling you the car and advising you, not saying things like 'i don't now why you ever thought the tax was that much'.

But it is your choice your money but I'm with your dad on this i have to say. Do you know anyone who is a mechanic? Personally I have my dad so I'm lucky but if you could buy privately you would probably get one at a steal tbh. That is just my opinion but again I have someone to look them over for me.

Is this your first car? :)

Yeah this is my first car and its all going so horribly wrong lol! i agree with my dad too don't get me wrong its just crap everyone iv talked to thinks its a good deal but based on his personality i feel i wouldn't gratify him by giving him 4800e!

Unfortunetly i don't know any mechanics so really relying on the honesty of the garage!

• Advertisement

Anan1 wrote: »
    Any salesperson who can't deal with a difficult dad/mother/partner isn't worthy of the name, IMO. Unless the car is very special and/or very well priced i'm with Bryn on this one.

My dad in no way was being difficult or rude hes the nicest man ever this sales man just had a bad attitude!

Its only dads with their daughter thats a problem. And its not always a problem, its just that for some reason Dad wants to show his daughter how much he loves her by beating the sh!te ( metaphorical of course )outta the salesman and this doesnt get anyone anywhere. Dad becomes unreasonable because he's gone to far and it ends in a stand off. In my experience of this it usualy ends up with the daughter returning the next day on her own and getting the car. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

BOT,
    I'd avoid a 206, french soft yokes.
    Go for a toyota yaris or the like.

Its only dads with their daughter thats a problem. And its not always a problem, its just that for some reason Dad wants to show his daughter how much he loves her by beating the sh!te ( metaphorical of course )outta the salesman and this doesnt get anyone anywhere. Dad becomes unreasonable because he's gone to far and it ends in a stand off. In my experience of this it usualy ends up with the daughter returning the next day on her own and getting the car. :p

But my dad never opened his mouth he said yeah this looks like a good one i think you should go for it it was me that asked him to lower the price was a straight deal with no trade in and because of the tax etc so my dad is in no way to blame when the man was not budging my dad simply said would you like to think about it. So my dad wasn't trying to show me anythin

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

It ends in a stand-off if the salesperson is young, inexperienced or just plain incompetent. Any good salesperson will be well able to deal with what is a relatively common situation.
    My dad in no way was being difficult or rude hes the nicest man ever this sales man just had a bad attitude!
    I didn't mean that your dad was rude, I meant that even if he had been the salesman's attutude as you describe it would still have been inexcusable.

It ends in a stand-off if the salesperson is young, inexperienced or just plain incompetent. Any good salesperson will be well able to deal with what is a relatively common situation.

Well Im none of the above and its happened to me. :cool:

since how your a sales person got any pegeouts? lol

Much as I'd love to, its pretty much against the rules ****cough ***** sorry dont have any but try a friend of mine....PM on the way....********cough cough :D

Yeah this is my first car and its all going so horribly wrong lol! i agree with my dad too don't get me wrong its just crap everyone iv talked to thinks its a good deal but based on his personality i feel i wouldn't gratify him by giving him 4800e!

Unfortunetly i don't know any mechanics so really relying on the honesty of the garage!

They are perfect lil cars for your first, my parents had peugeots for years very few problems. If you don't know any mechanics you definitely want to deal with a garage you can trust in case anything goes wrong in the early stages.

Is it possible to speak to a different salesman in the same garage maybe? If it was me and I wanted the car that badly I would go into the garage ask to speak to someone different and if they question why I would bloody well tell them tbh. It's your first car it's meant to be fun and exciting and that chap with the bad attitude shouldn't be ruining it for you.

hahaha sorry I had to laugh because I went looking at cars with my dad about 3yrs ago and he had to tell me to go easy on the salesman. :o

Anyway I can't believe I'm saying this (usually defending all my ladies out there) but some girls know nothing AT ALL about cars and need daddys around because there are plenty out there that will try screw them if they don't know what they are doing.

Good woman! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Rylan

If you really like the car tell him you will give him €4500 for it. If he says no, leave your number with him and to get back to you within the next week if he changes his mind. Tell him you are definetely buying one withing the next week. Even though his attitude is all wrong, always be polite (not saying that you aren't or anything) as he will feel more at ease in backing down rather than trying to make a point and stand firm on the price. :)

Advertisement