Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you sleep at night?

Options
  • 02-11-2009 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭

No, this isn't (another) video games are violent thread and a rant about how you are all monsters! Would be quite a strange one for me to post...Instead, I was watching the Lions 2009 DVD and one of the coaches on the trip was talking to players who were saying they were having difficulties sleeping. The coach reasoned that they shouldn't use the computer late at night because there would be too much static electricity in their body (I once wasn't able to take an allergy test as a result of the same!).

Anyways, I wake up some mornings after a full eight hours and I'm shattered. I will admit to playing games until late, then I eat and then I sleep. At other times I am working on the computer until just before bed. So either way, I'm screwed (while I ca.....could curtail my gaming, eSports does not sleep!). What about yourselves? What are your nighttime gaming habits and how is your nights sleep? Is there any connection? Shouldn't I have built up a resistance by now?

🤪

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

I'd defo notice the difference the following morning between gaming and TV/browsing the net. Higher level of concentration requires more energy and your brain/eyes just get tired.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    The coach reasoned that they shouldn't use the computer late at night because there would be too much static electricity in their body (I once wasn't able to take an allergy test as a result of the same!).

What? What what? Proof please.

I sleep like a stone by the way and I'm always in front of my pc.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,154 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

The coach reasoned that they shouldn't use the computer late at night because there would be too much static electricity in their body (I once wasn't able to take an allergy test as a result of the same!).

I don't think that coach should hold his breath waiting for the Nobel Prize in Medicine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

No, this isn't (another) video games are violent thread and a rant about how you are all monsters! Would be quite a strange one for me to post...Instead, I was watching the Lions 2009 DVD and one of the coaches on the trip was talking to players who were saying they were having difficulties sleeping. The coach reasoned that they shouldn't use the computer late at night because there would be too much static electricity in their body (I once wasn't able to take an allergy test as a result of the same!).

Anyways, I wake up some mornings after a full eight hours and I'm shattered. I will admit to playing games until late, then I eat and then I sleep. At other times I am working on the computer until just before bed. So either way, I'm screwed (while I ca.....could curtail my gaming, eSports does not sleep!). What about yourselves? What are your nighttime gaming habits and how is your nights sleep? Is there any connection? Shouldn't I have built up a resistance by now?

How would using a computer affect the amount of static in your body? How would static affect your ability to sleep?

I don't play anything about an hour before I want to be asleep if I have to be up early because of adrenaline.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Not sure, but usually try watching some TV between gaming and bed. Helps me relax and calms the brain down a bit. Cup of decaf tea sometimes helps as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

The coach reasoned that they shouldn't use the computer late at night because there would be too much static electricity in their body

Do what I do, stick a fork in the ground of the plug socket and lick it. Instant static begone. Sleep like a baby.

Seriously though, I'm the same. On the weekends I'm getting at least 10 hours of sleep and I wake up feeling shattered, although I think it's more to do with going to bed at 2am+ and waking up 12pm.

Was away in Scotland doing various outdoor activities and most night we where so shattered from the day, we wouldn't watch any TV and be in bed by around 10:30. Had to get up at 7:30am most mornings and I swear as soon as I opened my eyes I wanted to get out of bed and not lie in. I felt completely rested and recharged.

So, imo, yeah, I do think staying up late and gaming then sleeping in does have a detrimental affect and the sleep isn't of the same quality as when you don't force yourself to stay awake. But what am I going to do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

With my eyes closed :D

Bad jokes aside, I recently bought and became addicted to the Xbox and have no problem sleeping. To be honest I can't see a great difference between playing video games and watching TV. Perhaps the mind is more engaged with the interaction required for a video game but I can't see that being a bad thing. After all reading a book engages a mind and that doesn't stop people sleeping.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,320 ✭✭✭✭noodler

On top of a big pile of money with many beautiful women.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,010 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I never really stay up late playing videogames, however I have been up until about 2 or 3 in the morning recently reading about videogames. I need to stop using the laptop since sometimes I get only 4 hours sleep or else get into college really late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Yeah I notice this as well, if I'm playing a game till say 11pm and then head off to bed I might not get to sleep till 1 or 2.

Probably just that games are quite stimulating while not being physically tiring, so your brain is still going a mile a minute when you finish. Only an idea, not proof before anyone gets annoyed at me saying that.

Now i try and leave at least an hour before finishing a game and when I plan to actually try and fall asleep, where I read or watching something on TV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭Wossack

static? lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

If i am playing a game throughout the whole day, Then when i head to bed, I go into a semi sleep were i think I'm still playing the game?

Its horrible when i have to be in work the next day, Because its not actual proper sleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

i think its just the fact that you are concentrating and slightly active. (have to move mouse.. .click type etc.....)
    where as with a tv its just put on a channel and lie there.....

like any thing that is active makes you awake and alert.... where as lying there ocasionally changing a channel dosnt

static lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

I will admit to playing games until late, then I eat and then I sleep.
    this could well be your problem

that said i have put in a lot of hours recently on the ps3 and been wrecked nearly every day after, no interest in doing work....as u can see.....
    when doing batman challenges and mirrors edge time trials my sleep was terrible, violent dreams, waking up thinking of a better/faster way to do it and wanting to go immediately play it. jesus it sounds worse now when i have it typed

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

i normally play games til about 1/2 in the morning, then watch something on the pc til about 3, then get up for work at either 9/10 (depends on what day), but I dont watch tv anymore. I get up out of bed no problem, never really that tired, as long as i keep feeling this way when i wake up, im gonna keep doing it. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭Wossack

Mousey- wrote: »
    i think its just the fact that you are concentrating and slightly active. (have to move mouse.. .click type etc.....)
    where as with a tv its just put on a channel and lie there.....

like any thing that is active makes you awake and alert.... where as lying there ocasionally changing a channel dosnt

static lol

^^

'xactly, when was the last time you fell asleep playing quake/cs, as opposed to watching telly/listening to music?

its all to do heightened mental activity imo - need time to wind down before going to bed

as an aside, you know you've been playing a game too long and late, when you go to bed and theres a HUD when you close your eyes :o

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Menengroth™

i never have any trouble getting to sleep after gaming, out cold in a few minutes, getting up is another matter though! but i'm like that whether i've been playing or not.

also: static, lol

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,467 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

i never have any trouble getting to sleep after gaming, out cold in a few minutes, getting up is another matter though! but i'm like that whether i've been playing or not.

Same - always get to sleep instantly whether gaming or not. Dont really notice the difference in the morning either, always tired to a certain extent.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Correlation does not imply causation!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Me after Borderlands

lightning.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,131 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Static Electricity? hahahahahah

Theres surely a case for the heightened brain activity and exposure to a bright light source (screen) which will throw off your REM cycles a bit. But static electricity? Seriously? You can tell how 1965 that complete pie-dish is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Wossack wrote: »

as an aside, you know you've been playing a game too long and late, when you go to bed and theres a HUD when you close your eyes :o

Took me ages to find the option to turn that off

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I used to play alot of Dynasty warriors.

I swear to god when I went to see the Two Towers, during the war sequences, I could see a shifting red/blue morale bar on the top of the cinema screen.

Advertisement