Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Birthday present

Options
  • 02-11-2009 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks going unreg for this one as my OH also uses boards!!

I've been going out with my girlfriend now for 2 months. We had been seeing each other for about 4 months prior to that before we made things "exclusive". Anyway its her birthday next Friday and I've no idea what to buy her. I tried asking her what she wanted but she just dismissed and said i didnt need to get her anything! I dont think she really meant that and it hadnt even entered my head to get her nothing. One of her friends told me she'd like perfume and thats a start. I just a few ideas of what to get her. Also because we're only going out a short time I wasnt sure how much I should spend on her i.e. didnt want to scare her by buying far too much and didnt want to spend too little so that she'll be annoyed!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

for the love of god man get her something. I would advise Perfume or jewelery and some flowers. Spend no more than 50 Euros i reckon. Don't rap it either put it in a nice bag you can buy them in card shops. Christmas is only a few weeks away too. Also Sign the card hugs and kisses X rather than love X or from X.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

timberlake-samberg-dick-box-pepsi.jpg

Only kidding.;)

Seriously though, it really depends on both your relationship, and financial situation.

I've been in relationships with girls where it's really serious from the get go, and others where even two months in, it's fairly casual.
    If you're really seriouswith her, and get her a t-shirt, dont expect a happy girlfriend.
    If however it's still casual, and you buy her expensive jewlery, then you could scare her off.

Also, there's the financial aspect.
    If you're a poor student, or unemployed she's hardly going to expect the world, but if you're doing well for yourself, she may expect a little more.

Perfume is a good place to start, but you'd need to know what type she wants.
    Also, if she's just bought a bottle herself, then it'll hardly thrill her if you buy her another one!

You could always bring her out for a fancy meal to celebrate.
    Wine and dine her, and then some small token as an acctual gift.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

perfume is perfect.

Maybe cook her dinner as well. That shows real effort and thought :)

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭ghosttown

Boyfriend, I reckon Guest 555 is your OH, so do as you're told........:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭kittenkiller

I'd go with the approximate amount that you would usually spend on a date together.
    Like if you usually go for dinner and then to a club/cinema, I'd spend about €100.
    If you spend the night in the pub, spend about €50.
    If you're a big spender, with 5* dinners and a hotel, then go for something €250ish.

Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

I'm not sure about perfume to be honest. I know I have about 6 bottles of unused perfume in my bathroom which were all unwanted gifts.
    If you know her fave perfume then go for it. If not then don't go there as smell varies from person to person. What you like, she might hate.

I would "do" something over buying something. Arrange a really nice night. Bring her to dinner or better yet, cook for her, show up to collect her with a big bunch of flowers and a bottle of champagne.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Some good ideas guys! I should prob have mentioned as well that she's a student and I'm working so I would have a bit more money than her!! The other thing that was on my mind was that i didnt want to be buying too much now because then at christmas and future birthdays she'd be expecting loads from me!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i was with my bf about 2 months when my birthday came up.

he got me the best present ever, and it was the best because he had put some thought in to it.

he got me a Stone Roses CD, cos we were listen to some music one night and he asked me if i liked them, and did, he wanted to put them on. i told him that someone had robbed that CD 3 times already on me and i was refusing to replace it - so he replaced it for me :)

and he got me the Edward Monkton, Pig of Happiness Book because i love the pig of happiness (and i didnt know there was a book)

just listen to her talk and you will pick up on loads of little things.

i am smilling my head off here thining about those presents - they were the coolist ever :):)

and on a side note, i wouldnt be too sure about the perfume, i would be really pissed off if the OH got me perfume for christmas or my birthday (are you reading this ??? - no perfume okay)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 cupcakes_mcgee

Get her something that is personal and something that is special and unique to her. It doesn't have to be really expensive but as long as it shows that you bothered to think about it she will like it. Making her dinner is a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Hey, personally i believe a gift has to show emotions..

Get her something you want her to have, 4months together so you should have an idea of what she likes...

Plus it's the details that matter :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,279 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Moved from RI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Terodil

I agree, I'd strongly advise against perfume. Go for something personal instead. What are her interests?

Advertisement