Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Iridium Spark Plugs for BMW

Options
  • 02-11-2009 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭

Looking to get new spark plugs for the car for when I give it a good service.

It's a E30 BMW with an M42 engine. The recommended plugs are one of the following
    16mm 3 electrode NGK BKR6EK or Bosch F7LDCR. The Champion RC8DMC can be used too. Note a 4 electrode platinum plug has been approved for the M42 engine with max. 100,000 miles life, BMW part# 12 12 9 071 003, NGK BKR6EQUP or Bosch FGR7DQP.

I was looking at those fancy iridium plug and was wondering has anyone used them? The cost a fair bit more than the above ones from what I can find.

I'd like the engine to be running as sweet as possible and every little thing to improve it will be good.

So, do I chance the fancy Iridium ones? Or go for the Bosch FGR7DQP plugs, recommended by BMW?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Hmm, title should really be Iridium spark plugs - you might get more interest.

Iridium tends to last longer, and isn't necessarily any better. My car uses iridium plugs by default and they have a 72,000 mile lifespan.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Have a thread up at E30owners, bit of a mixed review. Some saying they weren't any good, some saying no difference, some better, but some have a different engine than my own.

What the general conciencus (sp?) with them, are they worth the extra money or is it thrown away money that could be spent else where?

There's under 70k on the engine.

Will better plugs improve my mpg? Getting very poor mpg :(

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

IIRC the E30 (in all guises) is better off with the recommended plugs!

kbannon wrote: »
    IIRC the E30 (in all guises) is better off with the recommended plugs!

Not the 1st to mention that.

How about the E36? Since the M42 got carried over to the E36 318iS, albeit with some small changes along the way.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

IIRC the advice is much the same for most BMWs

Rite, so definatly Bosch then.

Would I be right in saying the Iridium plug are more aimed at Jap cars?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

http://www.ngk.de/BMW_NGK_CREATES_NEW_IRIDIUM_SPARK.2710.0.html

I interpret that to mean iridium tips are really required for lean burn conditions.

I'm quite sure the engine isn't burning the fuel to lean, not with the bad mpg I'm getting from it.

Advertisement