Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterproof MDF

Options
  • 02-11-2009 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭

I don't think there is such a thing as waterproof MDF so I am looking for opinions on how best to seal MDF. The MDF will be used as signage with lettering carved into MDF.
    At present I'm thinking of using some kind of sealer and then prime and paint. All sides including what's not seen (back) getting paint also.

Only one shot at this as when sign goes on wall over steps it won't be easy to maintain.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Nearly impossible to make MDF anyway waterproof.
    I would rethink the use of materials and possibly opt for machined plastic instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

Thanks for that CJ.
    Incidentally your computer clock seems to be an hour ahead unless you've perfected time travel.

Had actually considered moisture resistant plasterboard but it's not thick enough and has paer facing.

The lettering will be carved into signboard and have gold leaf stuck to them.

Surprised you think MDF cannot be waterproofed. But you may be right.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Zilog

From my QS days I remember there was a product for expansion joints which was basically a bitumen or asphalt impregnated fibreboard, used as a compressible filler. Cannot for the life of me recall the product name.
    May not be suitable for your application though!

Advertisement