Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Whistling sound from engine (Audi A4 TDi)

Options
  • 02-11-2009 9:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭

The past few days I have heard this whistling sound from the engine. It's kind of like the sound you hear when wind whistles under a door if there's a storm - tha's the best I can explain it.

It seems to be in direct correlation with the acceleration. The more I accelerate the louder it gets and disappears on idle.

Car is a 2000 A4 1.9 TDi with 104,000 on the clock. Timing belt done at 67,000.

Any clues?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Nico22 wrote: »
    The past few days I have heard this whistling sound from the engine. It's kind of like the sound you hear when wind whistles under a door if there's a storm - tha's the best I can explain it.

It seems to be in direct correlation with the acceleration. The more I accelerate the louder it gets and disappears on idle.

Any clues?

Does the whistle vary with engine speed or vehicle speed? Any change in exhaust smoke colour/consistency? Any loss of power? Can you still hear the turbo whistle when the door is open? Could be a split vacuum hose or something else entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Your kettle is boiled

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

2 Sugars! lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Confab wrote: »
    Does the whistle vary with engine speed or vehicle speed?

Yeah, gets louder the more I accelerate.
    Any change in exhaust smoke colour/consistency? Any loss of power?

Not sure about the smoke, I'll check tonight. No loss of power now but there was a time about six months ago were you'd have your foot down and it would take ages to respond.

I'd stop, turn the engine on and off and it would be fine. However, that seemed to go away and it's been running grand ever since - burns maybe a lttle too much juice for a TDi though (30mpg in the city, 45mpg on a country run).

I thought also that the steering was getting quite heavy lately.
    Can you still hear the turbo whistle when the door is open? Could be a split vacuum hose or something else entirely.

I'll check that later also.
    The turbo whistles from about 1500rpm onwards. I am guessing this is your first TDi?

Yup :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

I remember the first time I noticed the Caddy do that, like a little voice under the bonnet whispering "Boooooooooosst!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

As already posted there is a whistle sound from the turbo which is normal.
    Another source of a whistle could be a loose pipe, some of the clamps used by vag are a bit suspect - you could check the connections - esp from EGR to intercooler as they are the ones that tend to come off.

On the juice thing - it really depends on you journey. I travel from Templeogue to Blackrock for work. If I go by the M50 I might get 45 mpg. If I go by churchtown i would get more like 35. Both journeys take about the same length of time, its the cruising on the m50 that bumps up the figure. Stopping and starting kills your mpg figures.

voxpop wrote: »
    On the juice thing - it really depends on you journey. I travel from Templeogue to Blackrock for work. If I go by the M50 I might get 45 mpg. If I go by churchtown i would get more like 35. Both journeys take about the same length of time, its the cruising on the m50 that bumps up the figure. Stopping and starting kills your mpg figures.

Oh, forgot to add .. it's an Auto :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I have the oldest 80 TDI (Feb '92 one owner)

It still whistles and goes like a train and still no interior rattles after 300k miles on Irish "roads".

Unreal build on those cars. A few wishbone bushes and the odd shock and they will go for ever. and yes, whatever method/materials they used for the interior should be put back into new audis cause they rattle like crap from new.
    The interior of the 91> audi 100 was very good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,993 ✭✭✭Barr

Any clues?

Low enough milage for that type of car , was it a UK import ?

Barr wrote: »

You, has full history though .. but it could have clocked I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,993 ✭✭✭Barr

You, has full history though .. but it could have clocked I guess.

You ?

You ?

Yeah, was pointing at my car while typing :D

Nah, You = Yup .. two typos in one. One typo would have been Ypu (reversed the last two letters) but also just missed the 'P' by a smidgen and 'Yup' became 'You' .. ;)

Update on the whisting sound is that it is not very audible outside car. Loudest just behind speedometer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

You think?

My wife bought a 00 A4 Se tdi with 72,000 there three months ago. The car was imported from UK.

teednab-el wrote: »
    You think?

My wife bought a 00 A4 Se tdi with 72,000 there three months ago. The car was imported from UK.

I got FASH but you never know I guess. Especially with diesels.

Mine is the 1.9 115Bhp and I just couldn't get an Auto one here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Rev. BlueJeans

Maybe he sits very close to the wheel ;)

I'd say turbo as well, unless the noise is invasive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭DaMonk

I had that same engine in a bora and it is quite a loud turbo with regards the whistle sound. Also had that problem of having no power when you put your foot down but turning the key on and off resets it until you push it enough again.

That could very well be bad news for your turbo as I understand its to do with the turbo being a VNT design and its getting stuck. If it cleared up then might have burnt out some of the crap built up inside it itself so happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Panda Moanium

OutlawPete wrote: »
    Y

I thought also that the steering was getting quite heavy lately.

Suspect this might be your problem. I know of a Volvo S40 making a similar noise to what you describe and the problem has turned out to be the power steering. It more or less totally failed about a week after the noise started just as it was being brought into the garage. The fluid had been topped up but was obviously leaking.

Currently in the process of being repaired so I don't know if it is the actual pump that's the problem or something else.

Suspect this might be your problem. I know of a Volvo S40 making a similar noise to what you describe and the problem has turned out to be the power steering. It more or less totally failed about a week after the noise started just as it was being brought into the garage. The fluid had been topped up but was obviously leaking.

Currently in the process of being repaired so I don't know if it is the actual pump that's the problem or something else.

Still didn't get it checked out yet and have it booked in for December 10th. Ages away but know a guy who's really good and doesn't rip me off so worth the wait.

I'll post back when I get a diagnosis.

Advertisement