Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky TV questions

Options
  • 02-11-2009 1:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 35

I would like to find out if a tenant needs to get premission from their landlord to get Sky TV installed? If so shouldn't Sky have not installed it and are they in breach of contract?

Also if a customer has been sold the HD package but they don't have a HD tv and never knew they would have to have one until someone other than Sky told them were they miss sold a package.

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

As an installer biggest problem I have is with tenants in awkward or messy installs. If you tell them you they need permission from the landlord they tell you that they have it. If you ask for a letter they produce one...if U ask to speak to some1 they ring their best friend.

So its really impossible for us to know if the person claiming is the landlord really is or not.

In my opinion Landlords should get a minimum service operatable in their homes, with perhaps an aerial or a minimum of a sky dish with one feed. If they dont want it shown they should pay to hide it, after all there home is an investment and as such they should be willing to pay to keep it intact and if it is catered from sat tv or otherwise it is more likely to appeal to people and attract a better clientele.

Over the past few years it has been too easy to rent out houses and some landlords I have come across refuse to allow a dish to go up despite the fact that there is no service piped into the building due to bad planning or cost saving by bad builders etc....

Also in all material and adds it is in small writing that a HD compatible tv is required for Hd viewing and any1 that doesnt see this and orders a Hd box must be off their game as its obvious in my opinion...but again thats my opinion and I always advise and ask people who ask me for a HD box.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 photogirl

Thanks Steveon for your reply. Would the landlord have any right to make a complaint? I know the instillation involves drilling a hole in the wall if one does not exsit already, and that it is the landlords proprety at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭montgolfiere

photogirl wrote: »
    Thanks Steveon for your reply. Would the landlord have any right to make a complaint? I know the instillation involves drilling a hole in the wall if one does not exsit already, and that it is the landlords proprety at the end of the day.

'Flat Ribbon Cable sections exist that avoids the need to drill holes.... example:
    http://www.amazon.com/Parts-Express-FC200XL-Coaxial-Coupler/dp/B0002KR74A
    these can be used on windows or doors. can be useful in rented property .
    the same applies to chimney lashing kits, no need to drill holes in walls.
    the Skymnan

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭dave13

How would a sky installer know if the person owns or rents the property? Are they supposed to produce the deeds?
    Any decent lease will include sections stating you can't make any modifications/DIY work without the landlords permission. So if the teneant arranged for someone to drill holes in the wall then you would have every right to take it up with the tenant, perhaps witholding deposit for repairs etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

OP , be very careful about installing a SKY dish in rented accommodation without permission. Landlords can withhold deposits because of this....

• Advertisement
Advertisement