Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox Live through a proxy ?.

Options
  • 02-11-2009 1:01am
    Moderators Posts: 8,716 ✭✭✭

Hi, need a little help if anyone knows!.

I'm in college at the moment living in student accomodation...

We have broadband coming in through the college in Sligo, it comes out through a plug in the wall where the ethernet cable goes... I'm just wondering is there anyway of getting onto xbox live via this ?. The XBL test fails saying my MTU settings needs to be above 1343 or something like that... No idea what it means though! And i've no access to any control panel.

Anyone have any idea what i can do or if the IT guys in the college would help me out if i went to them ?.

I appreciate any replys and thanks :).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

The college have it blocked because they don't want you using it for gaming. There's no way around that.

• Moderators Posts: 8,716 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Ok thought so... Any way of getting my o2 wireless modem to work ?. I know the pings will be brutal and all but want to get online and heard it's possible by Internet sharing and i did this but still for the life of me can't get it working.

Any ideas ?. Thanks.

Any ideas lads ? This is driving me to insanity!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭paul150

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

You could talk to IT about it. Worst case scenario they tell you where to go.

Nothing to lose. O2 broadband depending on number of people using it in the area can be ok for gaming but not great. You won't be playing in any clans, I'll put it like that. Probably about 100-150ms pings at best.

I played TF2 with O2 on Pc and it was playable but you will find yourself dying because of your ping times sometimes and may get the occasional lag spike. TF2 doesn't play that fast although neither do many console shooters so it depends on the game if it is playable or not on O2.

• Advertisement

paul150 wrote: »

Nope! Can't get past the IP address problem on my xbox, and it did a few times then couldn't get past the DNS part no matter what i've done! Been sitting here at the computer for 8 hours lol, pure disaster!.
    thebman wrote: »
    You could talk to IT about it. Worst case scenario they tell you where to go.

Nothing to lose. O2 broadband depending on number of people using it in the area can be ok for gaming but not great. You won't be playing in any clans, I'll put it like that. Probably about 100-150ms pings at best.

I played TF2 with O2 on Pc and it was playable but you will find yourself dying because of your ping times sometimes and may get the occasional lag spike. TF2 doesn't play that fast although neither do many console shooters so it depends on the game if it is playable or not on O2.

Problem with the IT crowd is that even if they do unlock those ports then i still won't be able to do any updates at all so i'm still screwed!.

Wouldn't mind if i could just get this o2 broadband working on xbox then at least i could see if it was bad, i only want to play Fifa 10 which is supposedly able to be run on the wireless dongle but i can't get past the tests. I've done everythings from internet sharing to ports, the lot, just wont work and i've no idea what to do!. :(

Got the o2 broadband working there finally!.

Found a good article for it that worked out of the 100's i went through... Thank God!.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Link for others?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

x PyRo wrote: »
    Got the o2 broadband working there finally!.

Found a good article for it that worked out of the 100's i went through... Thank God!.

ICS with Xbox is a pain in the arse to get going.

I used it for a year before buying the wireless as it would work fine for 2 weeks and then stop working until I restarted my computer.

Link for others?

Forgot to post it :o.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/index.cfm?action=showthread&threadid=325205&forumid=1

It's the post by Simmo09 that worked for me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement