Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Adding a category to my licence

Options
  • 01-11-2009 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I hold a B license and I want to drive a fairly large van so I'm looking to get a C category license too. Am I correct in thinking that I need to sit a theory test, get a provisional C license and then do a C test?

I've read on www.citizensinformation.ie and www.rsa.ie that you can a apply for a license if
    "You hold a driving licence and you want to have an additional category of vehicles added to it and a driving test is not required"

But this case does not fall into that category, correct?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,265 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

For a C licence, you need the theory test & driving test if coming from B licence.
    Check to see if you actually need the C licence for the van you are going to be driving though as the B licence is fine for many vans

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

It doesn't fall in to that category, correct. That is for people with older B licences looking to get Cat M added, or those looking to get Cat W added where it isn't added by default.

You need to do the theory, get a permit, and do the test. IIRC you do not have to wait 6 months to do the test as you already hold a full licence in another category.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

mickdw wrote: »
    For a C licence, you need the theory test & driving test if coming from B licence.
    Check to see if you actually need the C licence for the van you are going to be driving though as the B licence is fine for many vans

I did know that and I will check to make sure.
    I'd say I'd get away with a C1 but the C covers C1 so, its a case of 2 birds with 1 stone.
    Thanks for the reply.

MYOB wrote: »
    It doesn't fall in to that category, correct. That is for people with older B licences looking to get Cat M added, or those looking to get Cat W added where it isn't added by default.

You need to do the theory, get a permit, and do the test. IIRC you do not have to wait 6 months to do the test as you already hold a full licence in another category.

Is there any benefit to having the M & W category added to my current B ?
    If I was driving a moped or a tractor and for some reason got asked for my license, would I be penalised for not having M or W stated on the license even though the B category covers both?

Can somebody tell me HOW to apply for a threory test? Didn't need one for my first license....
    Also, is it the same Theory for both B & C ?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,015 ✭✭✭✭Esel

ShayK1 wrote: »
    Is there any benefit to having the M & W category added to my current B ?
    If I was driving a moped or a tractor and for some reason got asked for my license, would I be penalised for not having M or W stated on the license even though the B category covers both?
    There was a cut-off date before which you automatically got M and W with your C licence, afaik. If you had them before, or were entitled to have had them if your licence was issued before the cut-off date, you should get them, imo. If you don't have them, don't drive a moped or tractor! You probably would not be insured in that case.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

cut off for M was 2006. My license was issued in 2000.
    I've to renew my full license next year at 27. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,882 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Can somebody tell me HOW to apply for a threory test? Didn't need one for my first license....
    Also, is it the same Theory for both B & C ?

Go to the Driver Theory Test site and apply for a Cat C theory test. Note that now to do the Cat C practical test you need to have passed the CPC theory before hand.

http://www.dtts.ie/english/news.php

It's advisable to pick up the book or CD for the theory test.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

As well as anyone having a B licence prior to 2006 getting a free M, regardless of when the licence was issued, W comes with it. List here.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Moved to Learning to Drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

this may be a stupid question but I'll ask it anyway.

Is it the Heavy Goods or Buses Theory Test.
    Persumably, its Heavy Goods as Buses would be PSV license?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,882 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

this may be a stupid question but I'll ask it anyway.

Is it the Heavy Goods or Buses Theory Test.
    Persumably, its Heavy Goods as Buses would be PSV license?

Yes it's heavy goods. Don't forget you also need to book the CPC Multiple choice and case studies.

http://www.theorytest.ie/english/cpc/category-c-truck.php

is the CPC for everyone or just professional drivers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

is the CPC for everyone or just professional drivers?
    anyone who wants to get a bus or truck licence afaik regardless of what they intend on using the licence for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

I just want it so I can cart around building materials and stuff when I go to build my house.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,957 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

as Buses would be PSV license?
    A PSV licence is a seperate thing to an actual driving licence. Before applying for a PSV licence, one must first have a driving licence for the category of vehicle in question.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,957 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I just want it so I can cart around building materials and stuff when I go to build my house.
    A standard category B licence will allow you to drive most vans (Hiace, Transit etc.) up to a gross weight of 3.5 tonnes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement