Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How's college going for you all?

Options
  • 01-11-2009 8:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

I'm very interested to hear how mature students are getting on in college. How are ye all coping? Is there much support available-particularly financial help?

I applied to go back to college next year and i suppose september won't be long rolling around again, but i would like to get an idea for what its like? And trying to imagine myself at 28 in a classroom.

I guess my biggest worry is how am i going to live and what's going to fund it. I am lucky in a way because what i want to do, i can do it in a PLC college so that's college fees out of the way. But its living expenses. I don't think i am entitled to a grant, i got it before and i am still at home. I do have a small bit saved up to make a move and hopefully to last a few weeks in a new environment, a new place and a new city. Im kind of hoping i get an evening job!

So how's it all going?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭scunner

Virgin poster, so be nice!
    37 year old who decided to go back to education, doing Articture+Design at Carlow IFE. Was worried and nervorus at the start, but this week was the deadline for some modules and got them all in, on time, and happy with them.
    Starting to really enjoy it now,was very quite for the 1st month. Dont no why! Getting on great with my class now and my 1 year old daughter has really settled in to the creche.
    What can happen in 1 year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 mizzoni

I decided to do a plc course when i could no longer get any work driving. I'm having regrets over it because I thought I would like it.I should be greatful Im doing something rather than nothing. The reasons are; my poor work ethic,lack of motivation and no confidence in my own intelligence.There's a similar post on page two of this forum.

It was in early September when I started looking at doing a course so in hindsight I should have been considering going to college in January or the latest in May. Right now I would prefer to be doing an access to university course for science or engineering like the one in U.C.D. The nice lady there said it was too late and I would struggle because I didn't do science in the leaving cert. I would love to apply for a degree course next year but I keep telling myself Im not smart enough to do one.I dropped out of college in 2004 because of a number of reasons.

One lad in the course is 18, the rest are over 23(I'm 26). Three gentlemen are over 55 and they are streets ahead of the rest of us in terms of attitude and work ethic. A couple of guys would prefer to be working, others are doing it to pass the time and other lads do whatever modules they feel like.They won't get the full award but that's their attitude towards it. I wish I had a better attiude myself but that's just the way it is.
    Good luck with your course next year!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

To be honest, I'm finding it tough. I'm enjoying the whole learning new things bit...but when it comes to essays I find myself fairly lost. Pretty sure I failed my first Psych essay.

On a day-to-day basis things are fine. Just the essays I'm struggling with. The people in most of my classes are lovely (bar one tutorial where I'm surrounded by childish 18 and 19 year olds who couldn't care less about being there). There are a fair few other mature students that I get on well with.

I'm sure I'll get into the swing of the workload soon!

Advertisement