Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I get all of this in a SAN?

Options
  • 01-11-2009 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for a SAN for home. Is there a SAN that can.....

1. Stream to xbox
    2. Has web server built in so I can connect to it from the internet and download my files
    3. Is secure
    4. Hibernates when not in use so little/no power used until a connection is made
    5. Is quiet
    6. 1TB HDD max

I already have a server running Windows Home Server with an external HDD, this works great but I would like to get something that uses a lot less power when its turned on all day.
    Have tried a few different Wake on Lan solutions for my server but none worked.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 danmcl

Dazzy wrote: »
    I'm looking for a SAN for home. Is there a SAN that can.....

1. Stream to xbox
    2. Has web server built in so I can connect to it from the internet and download my files
    3. Is secure
    4. Hibernates when not in use so little/no power used until a connection is made
    5. Is quiet
    6. 1TB HDD max

I already have a server running Windows Home Server with an external HDD, this works great but I would like to get something that uses a lot less power when its turned on all day.
    Have tried a few different Wake on Lan solutions for my server but none worked.

Okay Dazzy, just to clarify it is likely a NAS that you are looking for, rather than a SAN, a SAN implies that you wish to connect other devices to it rather than have this as an actual fileshare (for want of a better description).

I have a similar setup at home but I use Kubuntu 8.04 as the server with a 250GB internal storage. I got my WOL to work by using a Linksys WRT54G V2 with Tomato torrent installed to wake my box, if I need to access it outside of home I connect to the linksys' web interface and start it from there.

I share it out to a mixed network of Linux, Windows and OS X using samba and stream to my PS3 using mediatomb, it's a uPNP program so should be able to share to xbox as well. I never bothered trying it on my xbox as it's too bloody loud.

As for hibernating, that can be configured simply enough and it can be very secure, even down to using LDAP or 2-factor authentication to authenticate yourself. Also you can administer it using webmin, I don't use this as I'm familiar with the configuration of a linux server and the infrastructure around it.

You could look at something like a linksys NSLU2 with the custom firmware to achieve this, or even one of the new mac mini servers, you'd need to do some customisation of it's apache config in order to serve the files online but it's nothing if not doable.

Actually, the mac mini can do pretty much all you need as above. It can also take 2 x 1TB drives if you so desire, you would need to buy these separately though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Have you looked at these?

WD TV™ Live Media Player
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=493316

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Dazzy

Yes, NAS not SAN - doh!

Is there a magic box that i can buy that will do everything I want without having all of the bits above? I'm looking for a "simple" out of the box installation.... if there is such a thing.

Static, WDTV is great for media streaming alright but I need something that I can connect to over the web.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

https://www.excito.com/bubba/buy/shop.html

^^ Perhaps a Bubba Two box?

I was going to get one myself but never got around to it.....looks like it would fit the bill for you.

Advertisement