Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keyboard Not Working

Options
  • 01-11-2009 4:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭

Turned on the laptop this morning and after using it for a while the keys started acting up. At first as i was typing only some keys weren't coming up (appeared to be a random order on the keyboard) but eventually none of the keys worked...

i thought maybe something had spilled on the laptop, so i left it for a while. when i came back a few of the keys were working (v,caps locks,y etc) but after another while they've all stopped working. I've taken the keys off and cleaned them & looked for anything broken/dirt but nothing is wrong.

Laptop is a Packard Bell Easynote w3301. And im now using a usb keyboard, the touchpad still works

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭chillin_penguin

Sorry im a little confused is it the keyboard on the laptop itself or the usb one that the problem is with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭iLoveTwilight

sorry i didnt edit the post properly the first time.. its the keyboard on the laptop

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭chillin_penguin

Try giving it a hard hit (im not joking). If that dont work its prob a loose connection or the keyboard has just burned out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

Try giving it a hard hit (im not joking). If that dont work its prob a loose connection or the keyboard has just burned out.

Before you go giving your computer a whack,try booting into your BIOS (Usually by pressing delete,or one of the F-Keys) and see what keys you can press.

It's not beyond the realm of possibilty that a virsu is mucking your keyboard up.

Also,try a system restore if that doesn't work

Deano12345 wrote: »
    Before you go giving your computer a whack,try booting into your BIOS (Usually by pressing delete,or one of the F-Keys) and see what keys you can press.

It's not beyond the realm of possibilty that a virsu is mucking your keyboard up.

Also,try a system restore if that doesn't work

Earlier on i did hit the laptop, and some keys did briefly work, but that was just anger, i dont want to break it by repeatidly hitting it :p.

Ive booted into the bios and the keyboard doesnt work (loaded it again with the usb keyboard and that works) so its not a windows problem...Any help would be appreciated as i need the laptop for college!

edit: just an update. some of the keys started working again but inconsistently and now they've stopped again.
    eg. asdfgh was working but then the sdfg stopped.

• Advertisement

Earlier on i did hit the laptop, and some keys did briefly work, but that was just anger, i dont want to break it by repeatidly hitting it :p.

Ive booted into the bios and the keyboard doesnt work (loaded it again with the usb keyboard and that works) so its not a windows problem...Any help would be appreciated as i need the laptop for college!

edit: just an update. some of the keys started working again but inconsistently and now they've stopped again.
    eg. asdfgh was working but then the sdfg stopped.

Sounds like your keyboards definitly on the blink,how old is the laptop ?

Its about 3 years i think.
    Ive been looking at replacement keyboards online and not having much luck, also i would have to find somewhere to put it in, would this be expensive?

The dvd drive also never worked with the laptop, just wondering for a rough cost or the best way to go about these repairs (i get the parts and get somewhere to install, or let the place get them)

Thanks again for any help!

http://www.packardbellweb.co.uk/keybd/packardbell/EasyNote%20W3%20series.htm

that appears to be the keyboard, but it also seems a bit expensive.

Its about 3 years i think.
    Ive been looking at replacement keyboards online and not having much luck, also i would have to find somewhere to put it in, would this be expensive?

The dvd drive also never worked with the laptop, just wondering for a rough cost or the best way to go about these repairs (i get the parts and get somewhere to install, or let the place get them)

Thanks again for any help!

http://www.packardbellweb.co.uk/keybd/packardbell/EasyNote%20W3%20series.htm

that appears to be the keyboard, but it also seems a bit expensive.

Hmm,where did you buy it ?

It was my grandads laptop and he gave it to me as a present at the start of the summer...so ive no idea!

I went around to a few computer repair places, after looking online.

One place said 30 - 40 for the keyboard,40-50 for the dvd-rom drive, and then 30 to install. (120€ overall)

Another said 60 - 90 for the keyboard :eek:, and then another place didnt know.

Would it be hard to install the keyboard myself?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

have you got a drill and super glue in your house?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,669 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

If youd never done it before it can be daunting. but I have guy hands. Im sure pretty girl hands would be able to fiddle around with the small ribbon-cables much easier. online manuals for the laptop manual will show you how to replace the keyboard: find the user manual online. Buy the parts from the manufacturer if possible or at least price out the parts yourself.

Well i personally wasnt going to fiddle around with the parts .. i was gonna get my boyfriend to do it :P but he is afraid of breaking it . I still need help locating a keyboard , what website online would be reliable ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Gia0121

I can tell you what worked for me, what i did was this disabled filter keys.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

Zombie thread

Advertisement