Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car battery flat and won't take charge!

Options
  • 01-11-2009 2:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭

My girlfriend,not me,went away for a few weeks and left the car parked up with the interior light on.
    Batterys completely dead so I jumped it and drove halfway down m50 and back,parked it up for 20 mins and it died again.
    Jumped it again and it only drove for a few mins before cutting out at the lights.
    It won't hold a charge for some reason,batterys about 2 years old.
    Anybody any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

That battery is dead ...get a new one

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Take the battery out or disconnect it and charge it properly . Most batteries have at least a two year guarantee..look for a receipt...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭baaaa

Thanks pheasant,if that's the case it's not so bad as I thought.
    Any ideas why it won't take charge ,I mean this happens a lot and people just jump them and off they go.

Take the battery out or disconnect it and charge it properly . Most batteries have at least a two year guarantee..look for a receipt...
    Thanks,how do I charge it properly?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

baaaa wrote: »
    Thanks pheasant,if that's the case it's not so bad as I thought.
    Any ideas why it won't take charge ,I mean this happens a lot and people just jump them and off they go.

A really deep discharge (leaving the lights on a drawing current for a week) can irreparably damage the battery. All the water/acid evaporates and cells fuse ...that's it.

You could try to take out the battery and bring it to a battery shop for them to measure and possibly re-fill it, but I would hold little hope ...but at least at that point you already have it in the shop for recycling :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

might it be worth while checking the electrolytes in the battery ? checking the water is filled up, if its not the sealed type of battery ?

peasant wrote: »
    A really deep discharge (leaving the lights on a drawing current for a week) can irreparably damage the battery. All the water/acid evaporates and cells fuse ...that's it.

You could try to take out the battery and bring it to a battery shop for them to measure and possibly re-fill it, but I would hold little hope ...but at least at that point you already have it in the shop for recycling :D
    Yeah thats it so.Car was left with lights on for 3 weeks.
    Nice 1.

Advertisement