Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ubuntu

Options
  • 01-11-2009 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

I tried bringing an old, very slow packard bell laptop with XP on it back from the dead so i decided to use Ubuntu, all was going well, Id even selected what keyboard layout i wanted and 55% through the installation an I/O Error occurred and so it didnt properly install. Now when i turn on the lapdog without the iso disk in it nothing happens, theres isn't an OS on it, and when I do have the disk in it gives me an error about partitions.

has any one had this problem before any help would be greatly appreciated thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Moved from laptops

• Registered Users Posts: 25 goinginside

Thanks for moving the thread, this is a better place for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭AndrewMc

Sounds like either the install CD or the hard drive itself is dodgy. If memory serves there's a boot option on the CD you can use to check it's okay. If it is, it may be your laptop hard drive dying, I'm afraid. Just to be sure, you could also try running the memory test (also on the CD, I think) to rule that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 goinginside

thanks for that, kinda had a hunch the hard disk is gone, i think its probably unlikely the cd is dodgey as I got so far through the installation process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Galen

Ubuntu is far too heavy for a pentium3 laptop, how about Cruncheee..

• Advertisement
Advertisement