Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW Warranty - To extend or not to extend?

Options
  • 01-11-2009 10:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭

I've got 2 months left on my 2 year BMW warranty and I'm wondering if I should extend it? (particularly after reading the previous post here about the guy's DSC unit packing it in!). Any opinions/advice please? Plus any idea how much it costs to extend?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Compudaro wrote: »
    I've got 2 months left on my 2 year BMW warranty and I'm wondering if I should extend it? (particularly after reading the previous post here about the guy's DSC unit packing it in!). Any opinions/advice please? Plus any idea how much it costs to extend?

Thanks in advance.

I've heard figures of €800 and up to extend for a year. BMWs aren't as reliable as they used to be, personally I'd go for it, although the diesel do give the most trouble. They may well have conditions like 'we'll only cover you if it's serviced by a BMW dealer' though.

It's going to be a toss-up between potential cost of repair and warranty cost really. On balance, with BMW's current reliability it'll probably be money well spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,537 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

I'd extend that warranty as long as you own the car. It may cost a bit (and you do need to service at a BMW main dealer AFAIK) but if you sell the car privately it will be invaluable, paticularly if it's an 'interesting' model (i.e. not a 316i or something).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

what model of BMW is it?
    how much is the extended warrenty?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭brandon_flowers

Compudaro wrote: »

Thanks in advance.

I know it depends on the model, condition, mileage etc but a warranty is invaluable as far as I'm concerned especially with something like a BMW.

The reality is one trip to the the dealer will cost you the cost of the warranty no matter how small the problem is.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Compudaro

Thanks for the advice guys.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

3 series is roughly 750-800e per year for an extended warranty ive just been told, but confirmation can be got from a main dealer in the morning.

so you have to weigh up the cost of this over the price of a problem.

the only problem associated with the E90 3 series so far is the DCS unit and seems to only effect 2005 cars and judging by your warranty running out, yours is late 2007 or early 2008 so this problem may not effect your car.

Advertisement