Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Recommend an economical diesel under €15000??

Options
  • 01-11-2009 1:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Hi,

Gonna be doing over 1,000km a week for work soon(mostly motorway/dual carriageway) so am looking to change my car to a diesel.Have a 2007 VW Golf Sportline(petrol) with 70,000km on clock,FSH,in top condition.Would like to spend as little as possible yet still stay with at least a 2007 model.Also need it to be comfy and roomy.Like the look of the 1.5 diesel Qashqai but will prob have to put €5000 along with mine to get a 07 model.My golf should get €13000 and could stretch maybe €2000 on top of that,but would rather not cos Im a bit broke!Are 1.9 diesels worth it?Or should I aim for 1.5 or 1.4 models?Need to get as many mpg as I can squeeze out of her!!!So,good advice needed!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

datobs wrote: »
    Hi,

Gonna be doing over 1,000km a week for work soon(mostly motorway/dual carriageway) so am looking to change my car to a diesel.Have a 2007 VW Golf Sportline(petrol) with 70,000km on clock,FSH,in top condition.Would like to spend as little as possible yet still stay with at least a 2007 model.Also need it to be comfy and roomy.Like the look of the 1.5 diesel Qashqai but will prob have to put €5000 along with mine to get a 07 model.My golf should get €13000 and could stretch maybe €2000 on top of that,but would rather not cos Im a bit broke!Are 1.9 diesels worth it?Or should I aim for 1.5 or 1.4 models?Need to get as many mpg as I can squeeze out of her!!!So,good advice needed!

Leon Diesel with €156 road tax>> 08 LEON

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 datobs

Thanks guys,
    Was looking on carzone.ie,would be hoping for a straight swap or maybe to add as little as possible.Seems to be mostly Toyota Corolla,Peugeot 407,VW Passat,Ford Focus.Which of these is most reliable/best value?Like the look of that Volvo S40 and I hear they're very comfy to drive which I will be needing.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

datobs wrote: »
    Thanks guys,
    Was looking on carzone.ie,would be hoping for a straight swap or maybe to add as little as possible.Seems to be mostly Toyota Corolla,Peugeot 407,VW Passat,Ford Focus.Which of these is most reliable/best value?Like the look of that Volvo S40 and I hear they're very comfy to drive which I will be needing.

A garage will be looking for more than a little cash in exchange for your 07 petrol Golf with above average mileage. I would try and sell the Golf privately and then walk in with cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Not many people are going to swap their economical diesel for a similar value petrol Golf, to be blunt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Have you considered the Octavia VRS tdi? This one is on donedeal for 14k:

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Skoda/Octavia/vrs-tdi/200941195426604/advert?channel=CARS

Thanks guys,will try to sell it privately but it'll be tough to sell considering peoples finances have changed.I may just have to hang on to it and run up big mileage.

Quick question...
    Been looking around carzone for diesels in or around €12k cos thats what I may get as trade in.Looking at Citreon C3,C4,C5 around that price with decent mileage.Also saw some decent Octavia and Focus TDCi.Saw a nice Dodge Cailber 2.0 diesel,looks good but would a 1.6 or 1.8 diesel be more economical than 2.0 diesel?I know tax would be higher but actual running costs?Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭wayne0308

I think the Skoda Octavia 1.9TDi is a fantastic car. My father has one (171,000miles) and so does a friend of mine (295,000miles) which are both taxi's and they both still do great MPG. Very reliable but when they need to be fixed it does cost quite a bit.

Advertisement