Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bela Fleck and the Flecktones

Options
  • 01-11-2009 1:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭

Anyone else going to see them next week?

They're always amazing live - can't wait! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭not bakunin

i think theyre playing in the UL concert Hall wednesday night.
    i just dont have the money...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Wish I was.
    Saw them in Vicar Street a while back.
    Fantastic band!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

just saw them in ul absolutely fantastic:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

saw them in UL last night. unbelievable stuff. I would love to see this lineup bring out a live album or dvd....unreal musicianship...bass! how low can you go!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

phatkev wrote: »
    just saw them in ul absolutely fantastic:D
    seachto7 wrote: »
    saw them in UL last night. unbelievable stuff. I would love to see this lineup bring out a live album or dvd....unreal musicianship...bass! how low can you go!!
    Glad you enjoyed it.:)

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Bodysmart

The gig last night was great.

Howard Levy, the band's original member, was back with the band. I'm not sure if it is a permanent move since their Wikipedia says that saxophonist Jeff Coffin is still in the band.

Jeff was with the band the previous time I saw them (2002 in Whelans). Since Howard plays harmonica and piano, it added a totally different vibe to the music. He was as outstanding live as he is on their early records. Playing the harmonica with his left hand and playing a contrasting melody with his right hand. Unreal!

Personally, I feel Whelans is a better venue for them than Vicar St. Certainly, the vibe was much better when I saw them there.

Was anyone else from here there last night?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiCWCV7a1oQ&feature=related

I just found this -> footage of the band when they first started. Check out Victor's bass "solo" at the 5 minute mark. Hilarious!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭davef1000

I was there, and I loved it. I was a bit surprised to see Howard on the piano, but was incredibly impressed before long! I'd love to see them in Whelans - while Vicar Street is a lovely venue, it's maybe a bit too 'staid' in its seated layout for that kind of gig. I thought the sound was a bit odd too, but maybe that's cos I was right at the back in the row of seats by the door at ground level. I felt the drums were too quiet and the banjo too loud throughout, and the tone of the piano was really awful. His wonderful playing made up for that, though! I didn't actually recognise any of the tunes they played but enjoyed every one nevertheless. That's a sign of a good band!

Did anyone else think they should have busted out Dearg Doom in the middle of their last encore tune? Would have fit like a glove...

davef1000 wrote: »
    I thought the sound was a bit odd too, but maybe that's cos I was right at the back in the row of seats by the door at ground level. I felt the drums were too quiet and the banjo too loud throughout, and the tone of the piano was really awful.

Yeah, the sound balance was awful, especially Howard's piano. Bela's banjo was indeed too loud; you could never hear Howard's comping and his fantastic soloing was sadly lost in the mix. Victor didn't look like he was enjoying the gig; perhaps he was unhappy with the sound. His Hartke amps were fab though!

Advertisement