Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

COMPANY VAN

Options
  • 01-11-2009 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭

A friend of mine has a company car/van and lets his other half use it at the weekends or when he is off,also lets other people give him lifts to the pub etc,he tells them they are covered to drive under the company policy which is a fleet open drive policy over25 full licence etc. He is not a director or anything just staff.Ithink he is wrong does anybody else here have that privilege i'd love to hear your opinions thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Hi
    I have 1 and my wife is covered to drive it BUT I had to show her driving license in HR first I was told if I did not then she is not covered :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Same as above in our company, a driver's license must be scanned front & rear & a declaration form must be signed. I can't imagine a company paying an additional premium to have this facility unless they needed to have it for work purposes.

Also if I was the director of the company I would not be happy with random people driving my van, not because they might wreck the van but because as director they are responsible for any penalty points accumulated on that van until the guilty party is identified.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

The insurance itself covers anyone between 25 and 70 with a full license. This is the only requirement to have them legally covered. What the company itself imposes as boundaries on this is up to them as they may want to reduce the amount of people using the company vehicle/insurance policy and to put the responsibility on the employee. If it's in contract, this means by breaking the contract the employee is risking his job. If it wasn't in contract, then the company can't really do anything to get the money for the increased premium or damage if it's not fully comp.
    Drivers: Open drive is 25-70 on private & commercial vehicles
    Any driver outside the open drive category will have to
    be specified on the policy

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

It depends on the insurer and the details of the policy, whoever my employer have require a scan of the licence of anyone who's to be allowed drive on fleet, but don't have age restrictions (I went on the fleet policy when I was 20!).

Your friend could be 100% right, but he could also be making dangerous assumptions.

MYOB wrote: »
    It depends on the insurer and the details of the policy, whoever my employer have require a scan of the licence of anyone who's to be allowed drive on fleet, but don't have age restrictions (I went on the fleet policy when I was 20!).

Your friend could be 100% right, but he could also be making dangerous assumptions.

Are you sure your employer require a scan of EVERYONE and not just you and others under 25 who need to be put on the policy?

The friend probably is right as having open drive for anyone 25-70 without the need to inform the insurance company is a big benefit and saves a lot of hassle and phone calls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

We have open a drive policy in our place and a copy of everyone to be covered on the policy licenses have to be submitted to insurance company.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Better check the fine print. My company said my OH could drive my car whenever she wanted but she has no license anyway but I would only have to produce her license for her to drive the car.

That may be done away with now we changed insurance companies, for financial reasons, but a lot of companies have this option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

I know someone with a company policy and anyone is covered with no scan of the DL required to drive it. Once you are over 25 you can drive the fleets cars afaik.

Yep, think that's the case with most fleet policies, dutchcat, if they are covered by Quinn Direct fleet, then it should definitely be ok without having to inform Quinn of the people. As long as they are 25-70 with full license.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭dutchcat

maybe so, maybe it's me who is on the wrong track i thought it would be him alone that would be given custody of the van,but he wouldn't be able to pass that on ,i have my own open drive commercial if i loaned my van to somebody iwould consider them insured,but if they loaned it on i would not,not under my policy anyway

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

cormie wrote: »
    Are you sure your employer require a scan of EVERYONE and not just you and others under 25 who need to be put on the policy?

The friend probably is right as having open drive for anyone 25-70 without the need to inform the insurance company is a big benefit and saves a lot of hassle and phone calls.

Everyone - and its the insurers not the employer. Who are Allianz according to the disc.

dutchcat wrote: »
    maybe so, maybe it's me who is on the wrong track i thought it would be him alone that would be given custody of the van,but he wouldn't be able to pass that on ,i have my own open drive commercial if i loaned my van to somebody iwould consider them insured,but if they loaned it on i would not,not under my policy anyway

I don't think it would make a difference to the insurance company though that somebody gave it to somebody else. As long as they meet the criteria (25-70 with full license). You may even find it's actually the same with your policy. Have a look :)
    MYOB wrote: »
    Everyone - and its the insurers not the employer. Who are Allianz according to the disc.

That's a bit of a hindrance to have to do that every time you want somebody new to drive a vehicle, what if it's at the weekend etc. I think Allianz only deal with brokers for fleet policies too, or maybe it's Axa, so it'd be a Monday to Friday deal.

dutchcat, if your friends policy and yours are with Quinn, then anybody between 25 and 70 with a full license should be fine to drive :)

Advertisement