Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

powerful saloon or sports car

Options
  • 31-10-2009 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭

What would you rather have? An sports car such as a porche, Ferrari etc mid range models just to be fair! Or a big powerful saloon car such as a BMW 750iL, Merc S600, Audi S8 etc.

I would go with the saloon, somthing about a V8,V12 4 dr saloon with monster power....:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

M5 or similar, at least you can leave it in the multi-storey if you had too without drawing attention.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

As your only car? Definitely a saloon, or even better an estate like an RS4/6 or M3/5 estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

eoin wrote: »
    As your only car? Definitely a saloon, or even better an estate like an RS4/6 or M3/5 estate.
    ...Or an E63 AMG Estate. However the more luxurious option for me would be this:
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1036338

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

The high end merc wins out for me over a sports car any day. If youre limited to 120kph whats the point of owning a car designed to go faster than that in 3rd gear? Also the irish roads would wreck a sportscar like a porsche's suspension with the potholes etc

• Registered Users Posts: 23,265 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Max Power1 wrote: »
    The high end merc wins out for me over a sports car any day. If youre limited to 120kph whats the point of owning a car designed to go faster than that in 3rd gear? Also the irish roads would wreck a sportscar like a porsche's suspension with the potholes etc

Porsche 911 has surprisingly comfortable ride and is better able to handle country roads than anything from bmw (for example) on 17" rims upwards.

I would buy an M5 if I was limited to one car but if I was going to have 2, I would get an S Class and a porsche 911 turbo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

neither, actually

I'd buy a car that is fun and exciting to drive at legal speeds (something like an mx5 or a tricked out classic Mini) and spend the rest on several Carribean holidays

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

As cool as those two cars are, the impracticality of them would really put me off them as a daily driver.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

BMW M5

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

kceire wrote: »
    BMW M5

Touring !
    18630650475_bmw_m5_touring_uff_00.jpg

I couldn't live with myself if I didn't pick a Lamborghini Murcielago. Who cares about practicality when just looking at the thing would make your smile bigger by the second.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Heroditas

kceire wrote: »
    BMW M5

M5 for me too! Can't see the appeal of the touring one though. I can't stand estate models.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

peasant wrote: »
    neither, actually

a tricked out classic Mini

I've got a 145HP reliable (ie seriously expensive) one of those...

Its what driving is all about :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

RS6 avant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

Audi S8 (the one in the foreground).

112_0611_02wm+2007_audi_s8+side_1024.jpg

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Audi S8 (the one in the foreground).

Although the one in the background would be good craic too!

• Registered Users Posts: 64,830 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Although the one in the background would be good craic too!

I was just thinking that. A bit of a sleeper - wait :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

Fishtits wrote: »
    peasant wrote: »
    neither, actually

a tricked out classic Mini

I've got a 145HP reliable (ie seriously expensive) one of those...

Its what driving is all about :D

Ohh do tell. I have always wanted a mini with a decent bit of power.

RS6 advant for me anytime

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Ironically the F117A in the background was the biggest pile of unreliable, under performing, utterly dangerous crap in USAF history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

Interesting, I didn't know that Audi now have a version of the A8 with a 6 litre W12 engine. It's more expensive than the S8 and surely must be the fastest full size saloon car in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭brandon_flowers

A Quattroporte, no doubt about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Interesting, I didn't know that Audi now have a version of the A8 with a 6 litre W12 engine. It's more expensive than the S8 and surely must be the fastest full size saloon car in the world.

Yeah the S8 shouldnt be listed with the 750i and S Class, its off on a tangent of its own. The A8 W12 is the top end in the Audi full size AClass. The S8 is a sports car in a giant chassis. The S8 has a somewhat Lambo derived V10 (5.2l) and the A8 obviously has the W12 6.0l engine. Both are 450bhp but the S8 is faster to 60 and the V10 block is overall a faster revving and much more sporty engine. The W12 is LWB only and has more torque, making it smoother. Both are speed limited to 250kph.

Both the A8 W12 and S8 are now canceled for 2010 onwards, likely pending more recession friendly smaller engines. Presumably V8 diesels. :(

The fastest full size saloon (ie bigger than a E60 M5) would have to be the Bentley Continental Flying Spur Speed. The W12 from the Phaeton/A8 with Twin Turbos, pushing 600bhp and an official top speed of 322kph. 0-60 is 4.8sec. Given its 2.4ton weight however it would be murdered by an M5 in anything but a long straight line.
    2009-bentley-continental-flying-spur-speed-14.jpg

Id rather the M5 or S8 though.

Advertisement