Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Penalty Points For Non Standard Reg....

Options
  • 31-10-2009 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

Does anyone know if you just get a slap on the wrist for having non standard number plates or can you get penalty points.....?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

There is no points for having an illegal reg plate. Its a court appearance though. Imo it should attract points though or at the very least a fixed penalty fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

not to mention its an NCT fail IIRC

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

10 euro fine thats it

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

You can get a fine of €1265 per plate. No points though.

Link

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Why not bother finding out by just fitting standard specification plates. There are a gazillion other tings you can currently modify on a car without getting into trouble with the law. What is the fascination?*

(*OK a small bit of pot calling kettle black here!)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

TheNog wrote: »
    . Imo it should attract points though or at the very least a fixed penalty fine

I really don't think that penalty points should be given for offences that have absolutely nothing to do with how dangerous one's driving is.
    Why not bother finding out by just fitting standard specification plates

The rules seem vague at best as it is. I have plates that aren't standard (link), but don't appear to break any of the rules - but God knows what will happen when it comes to NCT time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

eoin wrote: »
    The rules seem vague at best as it is. I have plates that aren't standard (link), but don't appear to break any of the rules - but God knows what will happen when it comes to NCT time.

I skirted the law little bit with this car & got hassle (a good few years back) but got this set made up with correct height letters, used to have proper size California plates on it prior to these, got no end of hassle:
    P3130005-2.jpg
    (photo taken just after car came out of storage for 18 months, ignore dust/dirt & funny lighting)
    Gave up on this type of thing for an easy life. I did consider Eireplates "German Look" plates for my current two buses but don't want to unnecessarily draw attention to myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭RichyX

eoin wrote: »
    I really don't think that penalty points should be given for offences that have absolutely nothing to do with how dangerous one's driving is.

In the case of dangerous driving it could make it harder to actually read the plates on the offending driver's car, judging by some of the yokes I've seen around.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

How about a fixed fine for people who drive around with the blue tape still on their plates?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭NewDubliner

RichyX wrote: »
    In the case of dangerous driving it could make it harder to actually read the plates on the offending driver's car,
    I think you'll find there's an obvious reason why a driver decides to fit hard-to-read plates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭RichyX

I think you'll find there's an obvious reason why a driver decides to fit hard-to-read plates.

So everyone with custom plates is up to no good? :D

Advertisement