Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Road Traffic Bill 2009.

Options
  • 31-10-2009 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭

In the 2009 Bill there are 67 pages and lots of small print that may have escaped readers.
    In the case of a motorist being stopped for speeding, it is not necessary for the Gardai to prove, that the electronic or other apparatus was accurate or in good working order. Surely this has to be wrong if something like a vehicle GPS unit shows a different speed.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

That has always been the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

They're closing out a loophole in the law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Nanny state tbh and getting worse by the day. But then the majority of people support this by voting yes to the Lisbon treaty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

PanhardPL wrote: »
    In the 2009 Bill there are 67 pages and lots of small print that may have escaped readers.
    In the case of a motorist being stopped for speeding, it is not necessary for the Gardai to prove, that the electronic or other apparatus was accurate or in good working order. Surely this has to be wrong if something like a vehicle GPS unit shows a different speed.

As trad said thats always been there.

As for GPS it is not a calibrated or certified speed measurement. The reason is it is owned by the U.S. Dept of Defence and can be changed (to give wrong readings in times of war etc) OTT I know, but thats the cold hard truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

As trad said thats always been there.

As for GPS it is not a calibrated or certified speed measurement. The reason is it is owned by the U.S. Dept of Defence and can be changed (to give wrong readings in times of war etc) OTT I know, but thats the cold hard truth.

Like a hand-held hairdryer is accurate now :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

junkyard wrote: »
    Nanny state tbh and getting worse by the day. But then the majority of people support this by voting yes to the Lisbon treaty.
    This is the work of Noel Dempsey...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Adam Selene

How do they propose adding points to a foreign license. Strikes me as bullcrap.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

1) It was a common get out clause by people caught for speeding. Now that loophole is now closed. About time.
    2) Eh no, nothing at all (not even a tiny bit) to do with Lisbon. At all....

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I love nonsense comments like this from people that clearly don't understand anything about Lisbon yet say people should vote against it.

This has NOTHING to do with Lisbon, well no I lie this has as much to do with Lisbon as me being thirsty after a long run...

...makes just as much sense :rolleyes:

Anyway, about time this is happening, loopholes need to be closed

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Cabaal wrote: »
    Anyway, about time this is happening, loopholes need to be closed

I don't see how removing the requirement to prove someone is actually guilty - e.g. that the speed reading is accurate - can be seen as closing a loophole! Removing ones right to justice, yes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

I think the OP's point should be read as in it is up to the defendant to prove that the speed detection device was not working correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,812 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Anything useful in it like credit card style driving licences ?

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

How do they propose adding points to a foreign license. Strikes me as bullcrap.

Well, I haven't read the bill, but the way they do it now, is to record the foreigners license number, origin and home address and keep the points in a database. Similar to points, that are given to people, that have no license.

Should you at a later point obtain an irish license, the points end up on that.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Adam Selene

Have you seen some of the absolute bollocks on this website

[url] http://www.drinkdriving.ie/ [/url]
    • 92 lives were saved in the first 12 months following the introduction of Mandatory Alcohol Testing (MAT) on 21st July 2006.
    So, there were 92 less deaths on the road in 2006/7.......

There is no way to statistically corellate these facts, utter bullcrap.

I am fullly for lowering the drink driving limit but some of the other stuff in that bill is worrying and it disturbs me that they are using propoganda to sell it.

Advertisement