Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW Passat help

Options
  • 31-10-2009 7:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭

Hi all, Just looking for a bit of advice. There is a knocking noise form the front right hand side of my car, It is a 1.9 TDI VW Passat, I thought Initially it was the right drivers drive but upon further investigation I see that the rubber (Boot?) seems to be worn. Is this a big issue or is the Drive actually gone? (I understand that you cannot give me a definitive answer this way. I am looking for opinions,

I am a new poster, Long time reader

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭C.D.

If you have had the sound for any more than a day or two I'd replace the entire CV joint. The boot is there to stop dirt etc. from getting in- once it does it is only a matter of time before the joint goes. You're looking at €50-€70 for the part.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 994 Mod ✭✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Its your CV joint making the noise cos of no grease, it happens when the boot ( rubber cover ) gets damaged, it loses the grease which lubes the cv joint.
    You may get away with a replacement boot and pack grease in to it,, or otherwise a new cv joint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭mcnewberson

To be honest the noise is there for about 2-3 weeks, Only when I turn right, In fairness, Journey to work is not too far

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

I would suggest its the track rod end / upper ball joint, these are obviously prone to wear and quiet a common prob with Passat, Part is €40 or so from the likes of OTTO

*edit* K maybe not :D didnt read the op's post correctly (my Bad) !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭mcnewberson

OK thanks for the advice, Is it a big job to change the boot? I think ill try that first and then I can replace the part if needed,

Just one more question lads, I notice I am burning more diesel this last while, I was normally getting around 600 miles per tank but not so now,I last serviced the car myself, Changed oil, Air, Diesel filters.

Does any one have any ideas of why a normally efficient car changes like this?

sorry for these questions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭brownswiss

The spare wheel well in my passat is full of water. What else would one expect to find in a well but how is it getting in and is it a Well known problem in the New model Passat. Any constructive advice appreciated.. Thanks..

Advertisement