Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Got turned down for this FAS course AGAIN

Options
  • 31-10-2009 7:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

Well, I got the letter the other day and just as I expected I've been turned down for the TV and Video Production course in FAS Tralee.

This year I'd gone to the trouble of editing a short film (the All-Ireland final) complete with music credits and all and I asked them if I could show it to them, "We don't have enough time" was the answer.

Needless to say I'm really pissed off and the woman (the blonde) who did the interview (same as the last 2 years), this year, gave me an especially scornful look immediately as if to say "you again".

The truth is I've always been interested in film, TV, editing, special FX, and used to make movies with my friends when we were teenagers, I've starred in one movie made by the Irish Film Board. I'm 28 now and we haven't exactly got time to be making movies anymore.

When I asked this year haw many places were on the course she wouldn't tell me, but she said theres still only 18 places.

Has anyone else went for this course and if so what was your experience?

I don't think I'll bother next year unless I hear that ****ing blonde beaurocrat won't be there

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

Maybe your experience outweighs what you might gain from the course? Plus I wonder if you might have put across an 'attitude' to the interviewers based on your experience I.e. they might suspect that your experience is above and beyond the neccessity for the course?

I think you might be right to be angry because they probably didn't explain this possible situation well enough. It sounds like you should be looking for a course that will enhance the skills that you have rather than taking a place on a course that is possibly equal to your skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭grifter09

hey man. maybe consider going for one of the very good plc media courses next year. 2 of the big ones come to mind. colaiste dhulaigh and ballyfermot. as far a s i know theres a grant scheme for people your age. back when i was in dhulaigh there were lots of people 28 - 35 in the class. something to think about. in the meantime maybe work on your showreel. add to what you already have. the main criteria they look for in the well established colleges is proof that you live for this kind of thing.... She sounds like a total bitch by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

and sure if you find yourself in the West, there is a great PLC course in Film & Television in Galway City and a good degree course also in Film & TV just up the road from that.

I'm an alumni from both.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭caesura

Mate i went for this course as well...i didn't get it! Though i didn't have a blonde interviewing me, i had two people a man and a woman. As soon as i walked in i knew they'd already chosen the people they wanted to fill the places and i - as the last of all the applicants to be interviewed - was just being entertained so to speak.

But gotta be honest in my case it was a two way street, i arrived in with no kind of portfolio and being wrecked from getting drenched on my way to the interview as well as the train journey (and the nightmare i had getting to Hueston Station to get the train down there in the first place) i was in no mood to sell myself...but primarily i was just p****d off with how things were going with the course before it even started for the following reasons:

1. The course was originally supposed to be starting on 16th Sept and then it was changed to the 16th Nov
    2. I was told interviews would be held 6 weeks before the course started in the end it was i think a little less than 4 weeks before the course started - and then i was told i'd hear in 10 days whether or not i was successful
    3. On a personal note i'd run out of cash to set myself up in Kerry so i'd have had to sleep in my car for a week or two until everything was sorted (not so bad in Sept but not good in Nov)

In the end i did feel a bit bad about not making an effort so a few days after the interview i sent some samples of projects i'd worked on (with a less than enthusiastic email)

Got a letter saying that i was on a reserve list if a place should become available...assuming thats the standard brush off letter.

In the end though i screwed myself over but i think even if i'd given it a proper go it was very clear they'd picked their lot before i even go there.

To be fair to them it's meant to be a fantastic course so i'm sure they have no end of eager film lovers trying to get into it ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭robototitico

The government needs to have some sort of stimulus package for the economy - including investing in training. Theres nowhere near enough FAS places for the current level of joblessness.

• Advertisement
Advertisement