Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I stuffed a dead cow into my van

Options
  • 31-10-2009 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭

Well, its hide, to be precise ...mounted on two Saab 9000 seats

sitze005large.jpg

I'm well chuffed now :D

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Haha, nice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Sweet. That'll make some difference I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭congress3

lol nice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

peasant wrote: »

I'm well chuffed now :D

Looks good !

Now give the bloody dash a dusting !! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

homer90 wrote: »
    Now give the bloody dash a dusting !! :D

Yeah ..was thinking the same ...stupid flashlight photography ...shows up everything :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

I was expecting a Mother-inlaw joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,699 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Took me too many seconds to cop on :o

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

When are the door cards going to be replaced? :D

kbannon wrote: »
    When are the door cards going to be replaced? :D

probably never (don't see them when I driving and don't sit on them either, they come under non-essentials)

• Registered Users Posts: 64,831 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Finally you have a bit (probably the best bit ;)) of your old 9000 (terribly missed) back :D

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    Finally you have a bit (probably the best bit ;)) of your old 9000 (terribly missed) back :D

indeed

believe it or not ...these seats actually make a noticable difference to the driving "feel" of my van.

The old original seats were pretty much worn down and all saggy, especially at the sides. These seats (even though just as old and probably with higher mileage (more arse time clocked :D) are nice and taut and give much better feedback to the old arse-o-meter ...van feels much tighter when you're not wobbling around in your seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

They look well comfy and plush peasant. Had you any trouble putting them in. Did they bolt straight on where you took your seats out? Something tells me life would not be that easy though?

Nope, not quite straight , but not too difficult either.

The thing is to separate the runners from the seat chassis (just screws on the passenger seat) and then bolt them on again with made-up spacers so that they fit the narrower VW runner base. The Vw runner rails are welded in. Drill four holes into those and fit the Saab seat right on top. The nifty bit is that a M8 nut just slides inside the VW runners, locking itself against turning. So if you drill your holes right and manage to slide the nuts right under them, you can just bolt down the complete Saab seat ...no welding required.

The nasty bit was grinding off the height adjustment mechanism on the driver seat. That one isn't bolted together but comes with really heavy duty pressed/riveted hinges. So in order to bolt in your spacers, these have to come off.

But all in all, just a days work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Shouldn't the title be 'Today I stuffed a dead cow into my seat'? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

peasant wrote: »
    Nope, not quite straight , but not too difficult either.

The thing is to separate the runners from the seat chassis (just screws on the passenger seat) and then bolt them on again with made-up spacers so that they fit the narrower VW runner base. The Vw runner rails are welded in. Drill four holes into those and fit the Saab seat right on top. The nifty bit is that a M8 nut just slides inside the VW runners, locking itself against turning. So if you drill your holes right and manage to slide the nuts right under them, you can just bolt down the complete Saab seat ...no welding required.

The nasty bit was grinding off the height adjustment mechanism on the driver seat. That one isn't bolted together but comes with really heavy duty pressed/riveted hinges. So in order to bolt in your spacers, these have to come off.

But all in all, just a days work

Seems like you went to some trouble all the ame Peasant. Would be a lot more than I'd have the patience for I reckon! Well done though, the end result looks like it was well worth it.

Well done though, the end result looks like it was well worth it.

Yeah, I'd like to think so.
    94989.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

If that old van hasn't got A/C you will roast in the summer with them!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,699 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

netwhizkid wrote: »
    If that old van hasn't got A/C you will roast in the summer with them!
    Summer's a long ways away boy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Summer's a long ways away boy!

Summer in Ireland, its non existent:eek: and the leather may well end up perishing the guy here!;) However with it being LHD I assume he will be taking it on the continent and long trips on the Spanish motorways in 30c+ heat may be a tad uncomfortable. Is it a camper or van btw?

netwhizkid wrote: »
    Is it a camper or van btw?

neither ..it's a passenger vehicle with five seats

• Advertisement
Advertisement