Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

santa fe

Options
  • 31-10-2009 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭

thinkin of changing my 05 golf tdi comfortline van with 147 k km on it for a 07 santa fe commercial with 130 k on it...good idea/bad idea? advice please

Comments

You will have more space and load carrying in the Sante Fe, but drastically less mpg and it will be slower. If you don't need the space I wouldn't other to be honest. They are quite heavy on the diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭chiefwiggum

thats good to know...i do 190 km round trip for work everyday so fuel consumption is in my head alright

A lad I knew years back had one when they were quite new to Ireland, he sold it after 6 months and took quite a hit to replace it with a Corolla van, he used to do Cork to Dublin quite frequently. Also a housemate had one a couple of years ago and again changed due to the mpg. The mpg isn't out of the way for a 4x4 but compared to a car van it's 15 / 20 mpg worse. More if you can tease over 55mpg from your Gold which you may well do if your doing 190km a day.

yeah mpg on the golf isnt bad...190 km is all motorway driving..so its cruise control all the way..naturally i would expect the 4x4 to be heavier on juice but i dont want a guzzler

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Bear in mind that Hyundais unlimited mileage 3yr warranty only applies to passenger cars. the commercials go to 100,000km.

I know a guy with a Santa Fe who was averaging over 40mpg. they're not that hard on fuel. Also they're pretty powerful. so dunno where the "slow and hard on fuel" comment comes from

• Advertisement

ive test driven the santa fe and is no way as quick as the golf but then im no boy racer so it makes no difference...he's lookin for 13 k if memory serves me... good price?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Also they're pretty powerful. so dunno where the "slow and hard on fuel" comment comes from

It's being compared to a Golf which will do over 50mpg quite easily and will be more swift than the 4x4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Yeah, but there's slower 4x4's out there and consumptionwise, they're not that bad 4x4/suv wise.
    It's bollox comparing a miser on fuel like a golf with a 4x4.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,355 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

get a Peugeot 407 HDI estate if you want real low fuel bills with more space?

beggars thats what it came down to, i was lookin at a 407 hdi estate at the same time as the golf but the missus has a new kia pro'ceed and thought the van might be handy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Chiefwiggum do you need the load capacity or 4x4 capabilities of a Santa fe? If not I'd be inclined not to bother if I were you. Covering 190km per day economy , reliability and longevity would be foremost in my mind. While I'm sure the Santa fe is reliable and built to last I don't think it would tick the economy box.

If you just fancy a change from the golf or reckon you are coming to problem mileage etc. I'd highly recommend a corolla 1.4 diesel. I had reason to drive one some time back and was well impressed. It would put my own 1.6 litre petrol car to shame and a miser on the diesel too according to the owner.

the more i think about it the more i think i'll just drive the golf into the ground which should be a good few yrs yet..i dont need the load capacity of the santa fe but i live high up in the hills and a 4x4 could be very handy come winter and snow.but dont know if its worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

get proper winter tyres instead :D

complete with chains:D

Yeah, but there's slower 4x4's out there and consumptionwise, they're not that bad 4x4/suv wise.
    It's bollox comparing a miser on fuel like a golf with a 4x4.

The thread asked the question - opinions on changing from a Golf to a Santa Fe :rolleyes:

yep i asked...all opinions welcome...calm ones anyway hahahaha

Advertisement