Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Why do you get 'play' in a steering wheel?

Options
  • 30-10-2009 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭

I was watching an old episode of Top Gear on Dave there recently. The lads had bought three old cars, and Jeremy commented on the 'play' in the steering of one of them. He joked that you could drive this particular car through an American film.

I'm just wondering; why do you get play in a car's steering?

Is it inevitable in older cars or cars over a certain mileage?

And is there anything you can do to try and prevent it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭746watts

excessive clearance in steering box and wear in track rod ends = play.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

In addition I think unbalanced wheels or any way buckled rims would would cause you problems Johnny Utah

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

I'm just wondering; why do you get play in a car's steering?

Is it inevitable in older cars or cars over a certain mileage?

And is there anything you can do to try and prevent it?
    You get play in the steering due to the following:
    - wear in the steering joints (simple thing to replace) or other steering components,
    - play in the steering box (depending on type of steering box you may be able to adjust the play / clearance in the box or you may need to replace / repair the box),
    - type of steering box (recirculating ball type boxes are known for having some play, but these are usually adjustable).
    Not much to do with mileage or age of the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

A certain amount of play is normal in any event.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Very good answer there Seweryn.

In addition I think unbalanced wheels or any way buckled rims would would cause you problems Johnny Utah

I should have mentioned I'm not concerned about excessive play in the steering of my own car. I was just curious about older cars having watched the programme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Very good answer there Seweryn.

I should have mentioned I'm not concerned about excessive play in the steering of my own car. I was just curious about older cars having watched the programme.

Hi Johnny.
    Older cars have usually worn steering system due to lack of service and proper maintenance.
    But there is another aspect of the recirculating ball type boxes - when the front wheels are positioned straight up, the play is on its minimum, but when you turn the wheels say 30 degrees, the play gets huge, but that is the nature of the recirculating ball boxes. It is not a failure, it is just their "technical character".

Advertisement