Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Restaurant in Ranelagh

Options
  • 30-10-2009 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

It looks like there's a new restaurant being kitted out in what was Mint in Ranelagh.

It's not open yet but the name Dillinger's is on the side of the building.

Anyone know anything more about it...?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 CoxswainLovalot

yeah, its new, just opened, my mate is a commis there but I don't know much more about it sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Esmeralda34

Well it's open now. Scooting past heading home from work and had time enough for a quick glance. Seems nice enough, though would be very interested to hear some reviews!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

i live right beside there but haven't walked passed in about a week..
    so long as dylan mcgrath is not in there i might check it out....:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Helen G

anyone know whats it called?

Haha, yet another Dylan disbeliever! I'm not being sarky by that at all, I can assure you!!

I'm probably a very close neighbour of yours! My boyfriend and I loved Mint when Oliver Dunne was in control. Our first venture into the restaurant under Dylan's wing was memorable - I might PM you on that!

• Advertisement

tfak85 wrote: »
    i live right beside there but haven't walked passed in about a week..
    so long as dylan mcgrath is not in there i might check it out....:P

what do you know about dylan mcgrath that you dont like? :confused:

Helen G wrote: »
    what do you know about dylan mcgrath that you dont like? :confused:

Apart from his obvious godliness, of course...! ;)

Helen G wrote: »
    anyone know whats it called?

Hi HelenG, it's called Dillinger's. It's not in the same league of its previous occupants - more an American-style restaurant...

I was just about to ask cuisine but see it's american. hmmmm interesting

Well, a bit of a mix it would seem. Calamari, prawns, chowder, nachos etc on starters... Think they've got linguine and clams (yum!) on the menu too. Couldn't really see as there was a gentleman reading the menu at the same time and blocked my view.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 exdubliner

a friend of mine owns this restaurant (he also owns Ilrpimo). This is going to be a crowd pleaser - the menu is yummy and the prices good. Check it out it's worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I was unimpressed with it last night. We went in and were promised a table in 5 minutes. So while we were waiting, we started to read the menu. TBH, it's not inspiring, and the prices aren't great - either E14 or E15 for a plate of nachos. Some mains over E20. In this current climate, that's simply not going to work.(though maybe it will - given that it's Ranelagh).

After looking at the pricing on the menu, and realising that nothing on the menu interested us, we left without eating. It was a pity as I did like the interior.

Green Nineteen recently got voted the best new restaurant - why? Because it does good food at very good prices. Ocho's down the road, although horribly crowded, does great food at much better prices. Coppinger Row, another new restaurant in a similar vein, is also better value.

Well, hardly fair to say you were unimpressed when you didn't actually eat there...

True, but I was unimpressed with the menu and pricing. Following that, I was not likely to shell out my money to see if the food was good.

A lot of restaurants fail to realise that their menu and window display is the first step in getting customers. If you don't get that right, a lot of customers simply won't walk in the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭hick

while I agree with you that some restaurants have to buck up on opening appearances etc, I have to say it's a bit presumptive that you commented on either the menu or the food without eating. If you haven't tried a €20 quid main you can't say if it's worth it or not. Obviously the menu appeared not tempting to you but that's hardly a reason to slate it.

Better to have an informed opinion otherwise it's just hearsay

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

With prices like that, it's obvious that it's trying to ride the coattails of its predecessor somewhat.

hick wrote: »
    while I agree with you that some restaurants have to buck up on opening appearances etc, I have to say it's a bit presumptive that you commented on either the menu or the food without eating. If you haven't tried a €20 quid main you can't say if it's worth it or not. Obviously the menu appeared not tempting to you but that's hardly a reason to slate it.

Better to have an informed opinion otherwise it's just hearsay

I gave my opinion on the menu construction and pricing, not on the food. I don't know if a E20+ main is worth it or not, all I said was that I am not interested in paying MY money to find out.

On an aside, you can get a three course lunch for E25 in a Michelin starred restaurant these days - therefore I cannot understand paying E20+ for a main. TBH I never could, even in the good days.

The restaurant could be great, I genuinely don't know. Hopefully, someone will come back here and let us know.

Aard wrote: »
    With prices like that, it's obvious that it's trying to ride the coattails of its predecessor somewhat.

Sorry , Aard, but their prices are nothing like their predeccessor's. Mint was very pricey (and worth it, to be fair!). This crowd's prices seem to be in line with the likes of Tribecca and Diep in the area (though I do need to take a closer look at the menu).

Was packed today at lunch time, so it seems word has spread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 exdubliner

I dont think everyone only cares about price, even nowadays. You want to have a good time and enjoy quality food in a great environment. This place has that but you will never know.

Well, I like the look of the place, so I will certainly be checking it out pretty soon!

Great to see people being brave enough to open up new restaurants in the current climate - and pulling the punters in! Hope they do well...

• Advertisement

exdubliner wrote: »
    I dont think everyone only cares about price, even nowadays. You want to have a good time and enjoy quality food in a great environment. This place has that but you will never know.

well said.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭klingklang

Advertisement