Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

05 Saab 93 1.9TID 150BHP Turbo issue

Options
  • 30-10-2009 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

My brother has one of these. Had trouble with the turbo earlier this year which resulted in a new manufacturer's turbo being fitted. Thats less than 6 months ago and guess what? He's back int he same boat again. This one is now whining too and needs to be replaced so the main dealers have said. he's not one to drive the car hard. I'd be much harder on a car than he is. Are they noted for turbo trouble? Anyone had similar issues? all thoughts welcome. Cheers, Mark

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭Ferris

Just a few questions that would need answering:

Did the dealer check the oil pressure?

Is the correct grade oil being used?

Is the car being serviced to schedule?

Is the car driven hard on cold oil straight after startup?

Is the engine switched off while hot after a hard run?

And a sneaky one:
    Did the dealer replace the turbo or did they simply put a reconditioned one on?

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭MPB

No idea if they did check oil pressure. I assume so. Thing is the dealer thats diagnosed the problem is not the dealer that fixed the car. The car was a NI Import. So the cars been having the diagnosis work done down here and goes back up there for the repairs.

Correct grade oil? Thats a question I asked too. Answer is I dont know. He doesnt service it himself. I asked him and he said he assumed so.

Yeah its being serviced to schedule. Nah he wouldnt be hard to drive a car cold or hot.

It doesnt get driven hard so not sure what you mean by switching the engine off after a hard run. Nothing outta the normal I wouldnt think.

As for the sneaky one (whether they replaced it with a reconditioned unit) I wondered that also. But if it was a reco unit they wouldnt have givena years warranty on the turbo would they? He rang the guy in the north and he said not to worry about it its covered under warranty.

Its all just a pain in the rear to think its the second time having to go through all this again.

Cheers for your help

Turbos get really hot obviously and when the engine is turned off, and the oil flow/pressure stops the oil left in the turbo get boiled and that will seperate the oil or leave carbon deposits in it. Leads to oil degradation really.

Also turning off the engine while the rotor is still spinning lets the rotor come into contact with the turbo housing and wears the oil seal away.

Most turbo reconditioners offer a 1yr warranty. Probably won't cover fitting and removal however.

Best of luck with it.

Appreciate the feedback. I've had many diesels over the years and have never had an issue with turbos. Are the Saab's / Vectra's renouned for turbo trouble?

MPB wrote: »
    Appreciate the feedback. I've had many diesels over the years and have never had an issue with turbos. Are the Saab's / Vectra's renouned for turbo trouble?

Most modern diesel manufacturers have their fair share of failures. The Saab unit is a fiat designed engine afaik. Fiat do make some of the best diesels. I think turbos fail more due to abuse than design to be honest but to me it sounds like your brother got a badly recon turbo.

I put a recon turbo in a golf I had and it was fine however, its just the luck of the draw.

• Advertisement

OK Cheers m8. Turbo may have beena recon one. As I said I dont know. I was under the impression the Saab and the Vectra were the same engine. nah this one definatelty wasnt abused so it must be ajsut a dodgy one. All my cars got savage abuse and never had trouble with turbo's. Will keep you posted as to how things go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

MPB wrote: »
    OK Cheers m8. Turbo may have beena recon one. As I said I dont know. I was under the impression the Saab and the Vectra were the same engine. nah this one definatelty wasnt abused so it must be ajsut a dodgy one. All my cars got savage abuse and never had trouble with turbo's. Will keep you posted as to how things go.
    I gave dogs abuse to many turbos - none of which made me replace them.
    The Fiat diesel that they all talk about here on Boards is not as good as I think they want you to believe.
    VW TDI diesel turbos don't generally blow. BMW one's seem to blow (older type) . The Fiat TD that is in the vetrca and 93. I Just think the turbo might not be as strong as you might think.
    40k for each timing belt change???????
    I woner.

cadaliac wrote: »
    VW TDI diesel turbos don't generally blow,

I've put one in a golf and my da put two (warranty) in his A6 and he drives easy.

You want to try to look for a scrappie turbo for a golf, hen's teeth don't even come close.

Advertisement