Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crushed stone for Driveway

Options
  • 30-10-2009 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

I am going building and my house will be approx 150 metres back off road. I will have to build a driveway from scratch and am wondering how much this is likely to cost me. I have not measured the distance exactly so if anyone has an indication of how many tonnes of crushed stone i am likely to need for say 10 metres of driveway or whatever it would be a great way to figure out how much it will cost. I'm thinking the drive will be 2.5 - 3 metres wide. Hoping to get some rubble etc locally from farmers to go underneath so any help with the volume of crushed stone or quarry stone i will likely need would be great. Regards Liam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭stephentbb2000

Clause 803 is probably the best which is a type of crushed stone available from quarries at around €10 per tonne (20 tonne per truck). If the road is very soft/muddy you may have to put a larger stone down first.

Check this link for amounts http://www.sand.ie/pages/prod/s_hsand.php
    You will probably have to hire a 3 or 4 tonne roller at around €130 a day to level the area before and after.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭liamolaighin

Thats a great help straight off thanks. Anyone got any idea how many inches deep of gravel you would require on a new driveway. Presumably hardcore or rubble first (to what depth) and then smaller grade gravel/grit (again how many inches) on top. Feel free to correct me. Basically im trying to figure out what expense im looking at before i ever excavate the site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭Leadership

12 inches of 6" to 2" should be a minimum followed by 3" of "804" and that would give you a a good start and last a few years.

Also consider laying terram or a similar geo textile underneath the stone.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭mark2003

Just after starting a house and we are 100 meters in from the road,it took us 13 loads(this included around the house).we went for the cheaper 4" crushed stone(6.5euro?tonne),not advisable if land is anyway wet or soft,go for crushed 4" limestone at 10euro/tonne.Heavy lorries will get stuck if road is not solid.You will get little change of 3000euro and another 1000euro for digger.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭liamolaighin

Sounds like ill have no change out of 5000 so

• Advertisement
Advertisement