Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

when to stop taking folic acid

Options
  • 30-10-2009 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭

my wife is now 13 weeks pregnant and taking folic acid all along. when should she stop taking it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Now :) It's recommended up to twelve weeks your wife should switch to an iron tablet now such as Galfer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

oh, I thought once you finished the folic acid, that was it.

Are you supposed to take iron tabs too?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Rotunda was stamping everyones card with "Galfer Iron Tablets" the day of my first visit... so I just assumed that I had to take them!

I suppose if you already have a diet rich in iron then you should be fine though?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Rotunda was stamping everyones card with "Galfer Iron Tablets" the day of my first visit... so I just assumed that I had to take them!

I suppose if you already have a diet rich in iron then you should be fine though?

Well, I've never had to take iron and I give blood regularly (not now, obviously). Must ask the doc, thanks. Taking the folic acid was enough for me!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

You can continue to take folic acid if you like but you don't need to after first trimester. B vitamins are water soluable so your body will expel any excess.

As for the iron, I haven't needed it so far. I would be wary of taking it if you don't actually need it as it can cause really horrible constipation. It's always best to get iron from your food where possible, much gentler.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

I didn't have to take iron on any of my 3 pregnancies. Would definitely get the say so from the doc before taking it as like das kitty said it can cause awful constipation.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Yeah, no need for iron supplements unless you're told you need them. Your doctor will do your bloods at some stage. Better to get it from iron rich foods like brocolli or whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

I'd lay off the Galfar or else take it every second day, it causes awful constipation in a lot of women, not worth it. I often crave chops so am getting loads of iron there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭janbaby

You don't have to stop taking folic acid tablets. I am 31 weeks and am taking pregnacare which contains folic acid. I would not recommend she start taking iron tablets unless shes told to do so by her doctor. I haven't been told to take them so they are not necessary for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Nicki123

Definitely don't take iron unless the doctor/midwife advises it. I avoided it until towards the very end of my pregnancy when babs really starts sapping the nutrients out of you :) Eat an iron rich diet, lots of broccoli and the odd steak etc and that should see you right. I only took Galfer twice and it wreaked havoc on my insides - you have to enough to be dealing with when pregnant without adding that to is unnessecarily!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ebmma

You don't have to stop taking it. All prenatal vitamins have folic acid and you can take them during the entire pregnancy.

Advertisement