Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorway Strip Maps

Options
  • 30-10-2009 8:04pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭

Saw the new Dublin Street Guide has strip maps showing junction layouts for the motorways. Does anyone have a link to strip maps of Irish motorways? Or an image? They are very useful.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,272 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The "Official" M50 one is really bad AFAIK.

I drafted one for the M1 and N/M7.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Ask on Sabre, I'm sure some people on there will practically orgasm at the thought of making them :D

Whatever you say about the road nerdiness of this forum, the Sabre guys will blow us out of the water.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

There were full ones for the country (or at least, the network as existed at the time) in the latest Ordinance Survey Complete Road Atlas of Ireland.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

icdg wrote: »
    There were full ones for the country (or at least, the network as existed at the time) in the latest Ordinance Survey Complete Road Atlas of Ireland.

There are, but that map is horrifically, horrendously out of date for being the most current 'official' road map around. Its "under construction" schemes don't even cover half the MIUs let alone anything else.

Admittedly it beats my '2009' European AA map that has the N15 Bundoran-Ballyshannon down as motorway grade! (its wide enough to be motorway, just has the slight issue of being an S2...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Is this what you're talking about?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

Furet wrote: »

No, not quite, they have junction layouts illustrated aswell.

I was going to also add that whoever keeps updating the wiki pages should do one for each scheme. It would be very useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

Okay - who can guess what junction in Ireland this is?:

uniquejunction.png

Before I do any more, are there suggestions as to how to improve the diagrams - perhaps less specific (in terms of road/slip alignment) and more stylised?

Also I'm not necessarily going to undertake a project to diagram all junctions - I'm just interested in seeing how one or two Irish routes look with a strip map.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Rathcoole on the N7, Zoney?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Looks great, Zoney.

The one I'ld like to see is M50 J13/J14. I'm not sure if there are any other ROI motorways with such a complicated interchange and feeder-road system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Now do the new N3 one ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,272 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Zoney, while you can draw it at that size, it needs to be smaller for web use / printing.
    Furet wrote: »
    No, more like this http://www.cbrd.co.uk/motorway/m1-ni/exitlist.shtml

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Zoney wrote: »
    Okay - who can guess what junction in Ireland this is?:

uniquejunction.png

Before I do any more, are there suggestions as to how to improve the diagrams - perhaps less specific (in terms of road/slip alignment) and more stylised?

Also I'm not necessarily going to undertake a project to diagram all junctions - I'm just interested in seeing how one or two Irish routes look with a strip map.

Is it the end of the M11 motorway at Kilcroney, South of Bray?

Or the N11 junction for R772 just of North Ashford?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

It's the N7 Rathcoole Junction.

Victor - you're probably right, although I have seen larger strip maps online too. In any case it's vector graphics so I can play around with it a bit.

M50 junction 9 - one fairly crazy junction (I've omitted Luas track as it isn't pertinant to the road layout now that it is grade separated):
    M50J9.png

And no, I'm not adding Irish :) Although I may adjust the destinations to be more representative of actual directions off the M50 -they're rough guesses atm. (also the bracketed routes - which hopefully for the three main destinations on N7 will by end next year be: (M7), (M7 (M8)), (M7 (M9)).

I've a 90 degree and adjusted (R110 shortened) version for start of N7 map but I've to add the destinations - I don't know offhand even roughly what is signposted on N7 east for M50 North/South (although if I remember correctly Dun Laoghaire gets a look in on southbound).

Zoney wrote: »

I've a 90 degree and adjusted (R110 shortened) version for start of N7 map but I've to add the destinations - I don't know offhand even roughly what is signposted on N7 east for M50 North/South (although if I remember correctly Dun Laoghaire gets a look in on southbound).

From memory its "DUBLIN PORT, DUBLIN AIRPORT" for north and "BALLYMOUNT, Dun Laoghaire" for south. Its not an approach to the junction I take often, though.

MYOB wrote: »
    From memory its "DUBLIN PORT, DUBLIN AIRPORT" for north and "BALLYMOUNT, Dun Laoghaire" for south. Its not an approach to the junction I take often, though.

"NORTHBOUND
    DUBLIN PORT
    DUBLIN AIRPORT"

and

"SOUTHBOUND
    Dun Laoghaire"

I had to take said approach today. This seems to be relatively standard signage for all junctions till the N31 starts

Advertisement