Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Lane discipline

Options
  • 30-10-2009 5:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi again,

I'm not a troll. My first thread (I obey the speed limit) was meant in a trollish tongue in cheek way entrance to the forum. Friends? :o

Lane discipline This topic seems to rear its ugly head in many a thread here.

Question One

On motorways and dual carriageways I stay left unless overtaking.
    The third lane: What exactly is it meant to be used for?
    Overtaking the overtakers is it?
    Rich people only high speed cruising?

Question Two

The ever controversial moving into the overtaking lane to ease merging.
    Do you or do you not?
    If so why or why not?

I've googled this plus searched boards and there's pages of info in both but I appreciate the opinions and all ya'lls wity replies and :rolleyes: etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Do you or do you not?
    If so why or why not?

The 3rd lane is for congestion I'd assume, once lanes 1 and 2 are full of drivers that intend to turn off or drive on are getting full, then the 3rd lane comes into play.

I move over to let cars merge, if it's safe to do so.
    It's the polite thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

Ok, so on 3 lane motorways/duallers, the rules work like this:

If it's quiet, keep left. All the way, in the leftmost lane. If you need to overtake someone, move to the right, overtake, then move back left.

Normally, these roads have three lanes, because they are likely to get busy. If the left lane is generally moving slowly, with trucks and the like, you may drive in the middle lane if you would otherwise be constantly swerving in and out of the leftmost lane. You are basically in a state of continuous overtaking here, and if the leftmost lane becomes clearer, move back into it. While driving in the middle lane, you can overtake other traffic in the middle lane by moving right.

The only thing that makes it allowable to drive continuously in the middle lane is if you are continuously overtaking traffic in the left lane.

Moving right to let someone merge is perfectly good and courteous driving BUT you must move left again as soon as you can, and while moving out, you must not get in the way of faster moving traffic already in the right lane. So if someone is overtaking you to your right, while a car to your left wants to merge on to the road, stay where you are! The car in the right hand lane has right of way in his lane, and you have right of way in yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

SarkySaul wrote: »
    Question One

Answer = Overtaking those in the middle lane.
    Question Two

Do you or do you not?
    If so why or why not?

That's what you are supposed to do. Move into the overtaking lane when it is SAFE to do so to allow those coming down the onramp ease of merging.

Those questions would have been answered to you if you have even done a driving lesson/passed your driving test.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,383 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

On a 3 lane carraigeway, I treat the inside lane as one for slow moving traffic and traffic entering/exiting, I rarely use it to be honest. If I'm moving faster than most traffic there's no point being there.

Middle lane is for slightly faster traffic, I'd usually be in the outside lane unless the middle one is free or there is traffic behind me. I'd usually be a little over the speed limit and wouldn't hold traffic up.

Do you or do you not?
    If so why or why not?

Depends on how congested the road is, how difficult it is to merge and whether I'd be slowing anyone down by moving out.

I've googled this plus searched boards and there's pages of info in both but I appreciate the opinions and all ya'lls wity replies and :rolleyes: etc[/QUOTE]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 SarkySaul

Berty wrote: »
    Those questions would have been answered to you if you have even done a driving lesson/passed your driving test.

Classic Motors jab in the ribs there Berty! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Classic Motors jab in the ribs there Berty! :D

Ah Well.

20080830.004029_truth-hurts-top.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The rule is very simple.

Stay left unless overtaking. In other words you should always be in the leftmost lane available to you. This rule can be scaled to x number of lanes.

Translated to a 3 lane system, this means that it is only acceptable to drive in the middle lane if there is a continuous string of slower moving traffic in the leftmost lane.

The middle lane is not there to make your driving life easy, so that you don't have to move out to overtake or avoid merging traffic. By sitting in the middle lane when there is room available to the left, you are forcing other traffic out to the rightmost lane to overtake you.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

Hi again,

I'm not a troll. My first thread (I obey the speed limit) was meant in a trollish tongue in cheek way entrance to the forum. Friends? :o

Lane discipline This topic seems to rear its ugly head in many a thread here.

Question One

Question Two

Do you or do you not?
    If so why or why not?

I've googled this plus searched boards and there's pages of info in both but I appreciate the opinions and all ya'lls wity replies and :rolleyes: etc

Here we go again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 SarkySaul

Here we go again!

Indeed. Next!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

OP - All the information you need is contained in the ROTR. Next time either make an effort to come up with something decent or don't post at all.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement