Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Facebook...

Options
  • 30-10-2009 3:10pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Is anyone else getting absolutely swamped by the amount of mails from promoters about upcoming gigs? Like many of you I'm sure i am friends with, connected with or fans of, most of the main clubs and promoters. Many of them use it well with the odd message letting you know of interesting upcoming gigs, but some who have recently discovered it - have started completely whoring themselves on Facebook. I don't mind one mail per gig they are having, its a great way to keep up to date on what is going on, but some just go totally overboard. When we were promoting out night it was a great tool but we were conscious not to totally overdo it as it just puts people off.

I'm tending now to unsubscribe or delete friends on facebook if it just gets too much - which is a shame as I sometimes will miss stuff because of this. It just seems that every time I open my gmail, most of the mails are notifications of mails about night or events from the usual suspects. I wish facebook would be able to associate "Friends - as in 'actual people you know' - as opposed to commercial enterprises or groups etc - and let you manage them separately.

What's going to happen is that its going to go the same line as normal internet advertising - where web designers try to battle 'Ad Blindness' when people become so associated to them they never see them at all.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

Well Ive decided to delete any one who spams me, sure I don't read them anyway I look who sent it If I don't know them Ill delete it.

Thats what the clubbing section is for Folks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭acman

Yeah, I have been getting LOTS of spam lately...it is actually getting a bit ridiculous now! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

Its pretty much a rule with this kind of stuff that you have maybe a max of 2 status updates a day (which dont generate emails they just show up in peoples news feeds) and 1 mail notification a week. Anymore than that and your unsubscribe rates will be huge. Less is more. 1 well designed message will be much more beneficial than 5 shodly put together reminders and pieces of spam.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Ah Colly, Laundry was terrible for this too. I was actually considering taking it off my friends list because of it. Obviously it's died down now. But be warned!! ;)

But yeah it's after getting a bit ridiculous at this stage, and the ads aren't having an impact. You just tend to scan through and think, "Ah that's just the usual spam from so and so"

Facebook will end like MySpace soon enough if it's not careful.

Just on the subject on Facebook Spam.....

Facebook wins $711m in spam lawsuit

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

I don't mind getting invites etc, but the two things that grate the most are Inbox spam and Clubs / Promoters / Websites trying to be my "friend" (unless it's someone i know who isn't on facebook in another guise)

We (REACH) never spam facebook group members inboxes unless it's to offer free passes, and even that we've only done once.

Creating a facebook event and inviting your friends list and the facebook group members is more than enough spam for any event IMO - once you've made the event copy and paste a link to it into your status and be done with it. Less is definitely more when it comes to online advertising IMO

By all means tell me about your night, but tailor it to my interests, give me an offer of a discount for wading through the spam or give me a competition to win free passes, otherwise you'll be blocked / de-friended / or otherwise punished.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭brianc27

i deleted a **** load of people off my facebook, some of them are actual friends of mine that would run nights, i dont mean any offence to them, im just sick off all the spam, it actually turns me off goin to a night, i hate getting spammed like that, 1 email a week is all thats needed, i especially hate getting mails off nights i never signed up for, like people that have your number or email address just add you to their list, but yea the facebook thing is ridiculous, a few months ago there was a one off night in town and i got at least 5-6 emails that week, along with as many texts and the facebook spam was ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

One email a week? Jesus, I don't think we have sent out any emails at all for Stomp. :D

Thankfully none of the nights i would be following on Facebook ever seem to go overkill on it.

I would have thought a singular "announcement" type, the actual group itself and then a reminder or two in the run up would have done the trick.

Most the club goers i know don't really seem to forget about the nights that interest them.

For Stomp we will be compiling a mailing list, but this is primarily so we can send download links of all the sets that night to anyone who wants them. Maybe i will make a little sign that states they won't be used for spamming.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭FLYNN-DOG

Yes, I had to delete anythony remedy and all Spy related "friends" - was sick of hearing about his gay friendly club and crap nights 5 times a week. Goodbye Anthony.....when u start booking semi-decent acts again give u a shout

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

a lot of promoters are just lazy and book the venue, book the acts and then just send facebook spam solidly for the month before a gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Diageio_Man

anthony mooney (remedy) has a mortgage to pay you have to realise folks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭FLYNN-DOG

anthony mooney (remedy) has a mortgage to pay you have to realise folks.

How is that relevant? He seems like a decent bloke but I mean come on.......WAY too much promotion there

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭insert-gear

515 are demons for it, deleted them off all various sites. Ive just learned not to add promoters etc. I hate getting those event invites etc. I would prefer to hop on to a nights website, the weekend I end up being free, find out who's on and where it is and head along.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Diageio_Man

FLYNN-DOG wrote: »
    How is that relevant? He seems like a decent bloke but I mean come on.......WAY too much promotion there

think that one went right over your head mr dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

yeah my facebook does be swamped with them.tripod/515, nodisko, and button factory are always at it.i send facebook emails to an gmail i dont use much so not too bothered by it and in fairness i would have miised out on some great nights without the message/event invite thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

the worst offenders are the ones whom your friends with, and they also have an account for their promotions and when advertising they post simultaneously about their night.

i ony recently found the unsuscribe/hide button. its made facebook much better for me.

Advertisement