Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the sun heating up?

Options
  • 30-10-2009 1:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Im wondering does anyone have anything to contribute on our closest star's behaviour in recent years?
    1. Is it heating up?, becoming more turbulent?.
    2. Could an approaching large body of mass cause this to happen?
    3. What are the implications on earth for plate techtonics and climate effects from a more active sun?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Be Do Have wrote: »
    Im wondering does anyone have anything to contribute on our closest star's behaviour in recent years?
    3. What are the implications on earth for plate techtonics and climate effects from a more active sun?

1 - Incrementally, as it gets older.*
    2 - Nibiru doesnt exist.
    3 - Possible increased activity, hotter core etc?*

*Actual statements may not be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Sun goes through a solar cycle, expected to peak in 2012, that's when the supposed risks from solar flares is at the highest - nothing globe destorying though.

Nibiriu or whatever, is a non existant pile of crap.

Yes it is believed that temperature has an effect on the plate tectonics and frequency of quakes and volcanic eruptions. However, most of this unwanted effect is contributed to by the green house gases. Reducing those would be far more effective than trying to alter a solar cycle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

EnterNow wrote: »
    2 - Nibiru doesnt exist.

yes it does

its jupiter :D

Helix wrote: »
    yes it does

its jupiter :D

Well yeah, if you wanna be pretentious :rolleyes::p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

1. At the moment the sun is at it's least turbulent in a long time. More info here.

2. Not sure what you mean by this, but if you're asking could a larger mass make it more turbulent, I'm not quite sure tbh. I doubt it.

3. A more active sun won't influence plate tectonics as far as we know. Climate doesn't influence plate tectonics, magma movements within Earth do that. A more active sun would slightly effect our surface in the way ocean temperatures, soil temperatures, light intensity, ice melting, etc however it would be so small it'd be difficult for an average human to discern.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

The sun is very, very slowly getting bigger, brighter and hotter and will continue to do so until it gets too hot and bright for life on Earth to exist and it strips the atmosphere away.

jumpguy wrote: »
    Climate doesn't influence plate tectonics, magma movements within Earth do that.

Actually there is some evidence to suggest it does.
    http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20327273.800-climate-change-may-trigger-earthquakes-and-volcanoes.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Azelfafage

Life has existed on Earth for almost 4 billion years.

The self-replicating DNA molecule created the single celled bacterium which created us humans.

(One of the greatest scientific mysteries is:"How did self-replicating DNA evolve.")

Life on Earth has run through three quarters of its alloted time.

Only a billion years left before the bloating middle-aged sun fries us all.

Azelfafage wrote: »
    Life has existed on Earth for almost 4 billion years.

The self-replicating DNA molecule created the single celled bacterium which created us humans.

(One of the greatest scientific mysteries is:"How did self-replicating DNA evolve.")

Life on Earth has run through three quarters of its alloted time.

Only a billion years left before the bloating middle-aged sun fries us all.

It is plausible that even in red giant phase all life will not be extinguished on earth.:)
    If Homo Sapeins survive to see the red giant phase then that would be a truly wonderful achievement for humanity. (I'd imagine, that if we were to survive that long, by that time we'd have
    either, found or terraformed, another hospitable planet:))

Surface conditions have no influence at all on earthquakes.

Weather does indeed erode mountains away though.
    Right To the ground.

The Himalayas would be much taller if it were not for fierce monsoons washing them away for millions of years.

See:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=climate-and-the-evolution

• Advertisement

Azelfafage wrote: »
    Surface conditions have no influence at all on earthquakes.

Weather does indeed erode mountains away though.
    Right To the ground.

The Himalayas would be much taller if it were not for fierce monsoons washing them away for millions of years.

See:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=climate-and-the-evolution

Dude/dudette that's subby only so you're gonna have to provide the quotations...pretty please:)

But wouldnt an increasingly hot sun, combined with increased heat retention of our planet, increase temperature in the core? Thus resulting in increased activity?

But wouldnt an increasingly hot sun, combined with increased heat retention of our planet, increase temperature in the core? Thus resulting in increased activity?

Yeah as I understand it, the frequency of earthquakes in the earth has decreased as the planet cooled. Which is why I kinda want azelfafage to quote where it says different or at least list the papers that the article makes reference to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

I'm taking a trip to the Sun tomorrow, in fact- Any of you guys want some plasma? I'll sell it back to you at 1pence / mol Hydrogen. This Nibiru thing (or whatever it's called... ...) might sound like a load of bollox, but then why do you guys believe things such a multi-dimensions?; for which there is no evidence but mathemetical evidence? For the record, mathematical evidence also exists for Nibiru.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Well yeah, if you wanna be pretentious :rolleyes::p

dont you mean pedantic? lol

Helix wrote: »
    dont you mean pedantic? lol

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/pretentious - see description 3. But yeah, pedantic fits you just as well ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Be Do Have

1 - Incrementally, as it gets older.*
    2 - Nibiru doesnt exist.
    3 - Possible increased activity, hotter core etc?*

*Actual statements may not be true.

Hmmm, i never said anything about Nibiru. Yet you made an asumption, then completely side stepped the question.

Thats hardly a 'scienctific' way of looking at the world....

IMO the sun is up to something, and Europe, Japan and NASA are spending vast amounts of money in the last decade to find out whats going on. Back here on earth, man is simply too busy to be worried about such far away nuisances as solar flares and EMP bursts.

Oh well.....back to planet X...factor ;)

Hmmm, i never said anything about Nibiru. Yet you made an asumption, then completely side stepped the question.

IMO the sun is up to something, and Europe, Japan and NASA are spending vast amounts of money in the last decade to find out whats going on. Back here on earth, man is simply too busy to be worried about such far away nuisances as solar flares and EMP bursts.

The reason NASA and the like are spending so much money on the sun is that Space weather (solar flares, solar wind etc) muck up our satellites and a bigger event could muck up up communications and electronics down here on the ground we need to be better able to predict the space weather.
    Well that was only one reason, we'd also like to understand the sun better. :)

The sun isn't up to anything, it just goes through cycles - peak expected in 2012, at the moment in it's a quiet period.

Well what "large body of mass" are you referring to then? Mercury? Venus? Please ellaborate...for the interest in getting a "scientific" answer. I dont think the question holds much merit, thats why I "side-stepped" it. Im no astronomer, but I dont see how any known stellar mass in the vicinity of the sun can heat it up. Granted the sun will be subjected to minor gravitational tidal effects, which may cause localised increases in temperature, but nothing we will notice here on Earth.

As you so scientifically put it, the sun is "up to something", may I ask what you are referring to? I think EMP bursts and solar flares are on the forefront of NASA's Solar worries, what makes you feel otherwise?

The sun does not heat the core of the earth.

Radioactivity does.

If the sun blinked out tomorrow volcanoes and earthquakes would still rock the earth.

It will.

We trivial little living things on the surface will be well dead by then though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Be Do Have

Well what "large body of mass" are you referring to then? Mercury? Venus? Please ellaborate...for the interest in getting a "scientific" answer. I dont think the question holds much merit, thats why I "side-stepped" it. Im no astronomer, but I dont see how any known stellar mass in the vicinity of the sun can heat it up. Granted the sun will be subjected to minor gravitational tidal effects, which may cause localised increases in temperature, but nothing we will notice here on Earth.

As you so scientifically put it, the sun is "up to something", may I ask what you are referring to? I think EMP bursts and solar flares are on the forefront of NASA's Solar worries, what makes you feel otherwise?

I didn't make any scientific statements at all......i said IMO 'in my opinion'.

Also if the sun is affected by an approaching large body or its own solar cycle. Why do we assume that it will have little our no effect on the earth. Maybe someone has a time machine and has recorded all the relative data in the future already?

Yes NASA is on ball with most things going on in the cosmos, however us, the public, have been told things mostly on a need to know basis. Which bothers me.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy"

Malty_T wrote: »
    Dude/dudette that's subby only so you're gonna have to provide the quotations...pretty please:)

Link:

http://www.pgi.gov.pl/pdf/sad0806Hodg2p.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭espinolman

If the eclipic aligns with the galactic centre , well then is it possible for energies to come through the suns bloch wall ?

I was thinking about this because in free energy technology , radiant energy apparently comes through the bloch wall of magnets , and also scientists and astronomers would not be aware of this because this is suppressed technology , you see free energy technology is suppressed , but that suppression includes falsifying the physical sciences to a degree by the powers that be !

espinolman wrote: »
    <Revolutionary Science>

Cool! So how does one go about detecting these energies? New Science is always an awesome thing to discover and as we have a prime chance let's get planning some measurements.
    So er, how do we start?
    I'm thinking a 90,000ft high Foucault pendulum (placed on the moon maybe? Or Earth?) : that's sure to detect a change in energy.

espinolman wrote: »
    If the eclipic aligns with the galactic centre , well then is it possible for energies to come through the suns bloch wall ?

I was thinking about this because in free energy technology , radiant energy apparently comes through the bloch wall of magnets , and also scientists and astronomers would not be aware of this because this is suppressed technology , you see free energy technology is suppressed , but that suppression includes falsifying the physical sciences to a degree by the powers that be !

Scientists and astronomers are not aware of it, yet you are?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭espinolman

Malty_T wrote: »
    Cool! So how does one go about detecting these energies? New Science is always an awesome thing to discover and as we have a prime chance let's get planning some measurements.
    So er, how do we start?
    I'm thinking a 90,000ft high Foucault pendulum (placed on the moon maybe? Or Earth?) : that's sure to detect a change in energy.

John Bedini is talking about it here , well i am building a radiant energy charger , i am waiting for parts in the post and then i'll build it , .

Here is a quote from this video " it seems to be like an ocean wave or a gravitational wave " and also "sometimes it comes in stronger and sometimes a lot lighter , it does change , this wave does change during say a full moon , some of these motors have been known during a full moon to speed up a little bit "

The gravity of the galaxy is so awesome and uniform the difference between the gravity on one side of the earth's orbit around the sun as opposed to the earth on the other side of the sun is negligible.

A bit like the gravity from the galaxy on a tennis ball in flight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭DigiGal

Planet X

is bollox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Astronomy & Space should be merged with Conspiracy Theories.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

Confab wrote: »
    Astronomy & Space should be merged with Conspiracy Theories.

Conspiracy Theories is a different section for painfully obvious reasons. Temporary warning bans for first offenders will be issued to those who persist on posting what i can only call nonsensical dribble, repeat offenders will just get a permanent ban.

With regards to the thread topic, i do not see this thread getting anymore usefull to the original poster. The best course of action is just to lock it :mad:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement