Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Health insurance with prior condition

Options
  • 30-10-2009 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I've just been told that I've a tumor and rather than wait on the public list I'm gonna go private and get that bad boy out. I don't have insurance though so it's gonna cost me a bomb.

Will it be possible to get insurance after this? or are the suppliers here like in America, in that i'm uninsurable now?

I've been trying to find this out on their sites but I just can't see it anywhere.

hope someone here knows!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

You'd have to ring up health insurers and ask, from what I know, if you have an existing condition, and *then* get health insurance they don't cover you for certain things.

eg http://www.hibernianavivahealth.ie/get-quote/switch-now/ there's a waiting time for pre-existing conditions if you've not had health insurance before

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

Cheers star, that's pretty much what I was looking for.

My evil plan of getting insurance quickly and then claiming off it seems to be a non-runner :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Mad_Max wrote: »
    Cheers star, that's pretty much what I was looking for.

My evil plan of getting insurance quickly and then claiming off it seems to be a non-runner :D

Lol, nice try.....

Normally there is a lock-out period for pre-existing conditions, underwhich they or any treatment relating to them, are not eligible. It varies from company to company- typically it could be anything from 4-10 years (depending on the nature of the condition).

Lots of people did what you were proposing in the past- some even went to extraordinary lengths, not to have conditions they were aware of officially diagnosed. To combat this- they brought in new rules governing those who were not previously insured (or who did not hold insurance in the preceding 5 year period.......

I think a spate of unexpected hip replacements almost bankrupt the VHI back in the late 80s...... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

lol worth a shot. I've actually been advised to stay on the public so my plan was unnecessary in the end :)

In fairness, I'm really thinking of further down the road. I always thought I'd get insurance as I got older as I wouldn't need it now.I was just afraid that I'd be un-insureable no matter what.

One question though, does it mean that if I wait X many years and the condition doesn't resurface would insurance then cover it after that? I'm still confused about that.

One question though, does it mean that if I wait X many years and the condition doesn't resurface would insurance then cover it after that? I'm still confused about that.

It really depends on the company. The fact that the condition was previously diagnosed, may mean it may be considered to be an uninsurable risk (which is why my mortgage has 'death cover' but not 'life cover' as I am viewed as an uninsurable risk from a health perspective- but they are willing to insure me against death (with an additional loading on a premium)).

It really depends- you would need to check with individual companies and compare the requirements they have. Their terms and conditions do vary- so its entirely possible that one company may be quite happy to insure you- where another might run a mile.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

I am on VHI, (when they were in Ireland) I tried to switch to Bupa and was truned down for all options they had. I have Ulcerative Colitis and PCOS and these classed me as "high risk" so they would not insure me. I know someone who had cancer and tried to get insurance while they had it (during treatment) and were accepted (by Bupa) but they wouldn't cover certain things to dow ith the cancer, can't remember at the moment. In saying that, they did cover scans and such so I have no clue what the story was. It's always worth a try to ring up and see if they will cover at least some things in relation to you illness. Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

I had BUPA for a while and my son was "covered" for the first year of his life, but he was born with an undescended testicle and they wouldn't cover the surgery privately because it was a "pre-existing condition."

After 5 years of being with them I was furious.

I had BUPA for a while and my son was "covered" for the first year of his life, but he was born with an undescended testicle and they wouldn't cover the surgery privately because it was a "pre-existing condition."

After 5 years of being with them I was furious.

I'm not surprised, saddened to hear stories like this, but not surprised......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

If you have any fears of a health condition on your new baby I would switch to VHI. They wont pull that stunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Seillejet

I wouldnt ring the insurer and ask. There is a new health insurance bill which is due to be enacted and concerns community rating and notifications of a preexisting condition. Have a look at

www.oireachtas.ie/viewdoc.asp?fn=documents/bills28/bills2008/6708/b6708d.pdf

I hope everything goes well for you in the removal and recovery

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭BrianJD

Hi

I signed up with VHi but my understanding my Crohns will not be covered till after 5 years, except in the case of their travel insurance. Best of luck to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

lol worth a shot. I've actually been advised to stay on the public so my plan was unnecessary in the end :).

if you go public and are on a waiting list, make sure you enquire about and express your willingness to join the National treatment purchase fund. Basically if you are waiting more than 3 mths for an op then you can be referred for treatment in a private hospital. You may be sent to the UK or Northern Ireland, but it means that you can be treated much more quickly.
    "If you are a public patient on a public hospital in-patient or day-case waiting list and you have been waiting over three months for an operation or procedure you may qualify for this scheme. The NTPF aims to treat those who have been waiting longest first."

I was originally given an appt for 3mths, it was cancelled, got a new date for a further 4 weeks away. This was also cancelled and I was told that my op was rescheduled for 3 mths in the future (i.e 7mths from the date I was referred). After this cancellation I then got advised that because I had opted for the NTPF I was being moved to the Mater private for the op - 2 weeks later I had my op. So had the op in 4 mths instead of being made to wait (at least) 7 mths!

Its worth looking into:
    http://www.ntpf.ie/home/

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭drzhivago

Hey,

I've just been told that I've a tumor and rather than wait on the public list I'm gonna go private and get that bad boy out. I don't have insurance though so it's gonna cost me a bomb.

Will it be possible to get insurance after this? or are the suppliers here like in America, in that i'm uninsurable now?

I've been trying to find this out on their sites but I just can't see it anywhere.

hope someone here knows!
    5 years is the standard lockout for the particular condition

Although if you join up and develop an unrelated condition, heart attack/stroke it is covered after a shorter waiting period I think and accidents are covered straight away

Advertisement